SAU Community

M35 Stereo Removal - Guru's Help Please...

1UZ180

hi guys

im looking at redoing the stereo in my M35 250t.. ive got the single din CD player + tripple gauges and i am thinking of gutting it all, along with the TV and buttons/controls for the screen

What id like to do, is put a single din DVD head unit + single din tv (7in pop out) where the factory CD player and gauges are.

Then, remove the screen and controls and make a plate or "something" to sit 3 after market gauges on, so they're recessed into the consol.

Then remove the Jap navigation CD thingy in front of the passenger

Then remove the TV tuner in the back and look at making a sub enclosure in the side/s

soo.... what problems will i have? :)

Hey Mate,

You need to un-do screws behind the clock, glovebox and drivers footwell. Undo the gear stick too.

Here is link to youtube, it's on American car but just reverse sides, process is the same

Jules

hi guys

im looking at redoing the stereo in my M35 250t.. ive got the single din CD player + tripple gauges and i am thinking of gutting it all, along with the TV and buttons/controls for the screen

What id like to do, is put a single din DVD head unit + single din tv (7in pop out) where the factory CD player and gauges are.

Then, remove the screen and controls and make a plate or "something" to sit 3 after market gauges on, so they're recessed into the consol.

Then remove the Jap navigation CD thingy in front of the passenger

Then remove the TV tuner in the back and look at making a sub enclosure in the side/s

soo.... what problems will i have? :)

First part, no problems. Should be a nice upgrade.

Second part, won't cause you too many problems except the hassle of trying to fit gauges into the mechanism. If it were me, I'd use the pop up screen to show the gauges electronically. You could probably display 6 on there at any one time with decent resolution.

Then if you decide to sell the car later on, it will be more desirable as the screen is functioning (IMO). Though you will need to find another spot for the sub...

Good luck with the project and, whatever you end up deciding to do, please show us the pics :rolleyes:

http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gcoupe/projects/infiniti_g35_radio_replacement_procedure.htm

in it they undo the yellow airbag cable. i found that you didnt. just unclip it from your glovebox and leave it so u dont get the airbag light come up on your dash. this is one of the best videos for what you need. good luck.

If you go the single DVD player you could just play that into the OEM screen.

I think most fold out screens would have a dvd player in it anyway. So you wouldnt need both. And a fold out screen might cover your aircontrols.

The tuner in the boot is protected by the body on both sides so even if you remove it it will just leave an empty slot. You maybe could put a small amp in there.

I've got pretty much what you're looking for, except I have a single DIN DVD headunit with a fold out 7" screen and one of Leon's HDTV tuners wired into the stock TV tuner... I'm not sure why you'd want two separate units?

My headunit is then wired to the stock screen and two headrest screens in the back.

Looks good, works well (besides a couple of warranty issues with the headunit), and plays CDs/DVDs/MP3s/MP4s/DivX/Bluetooth/iPod/etc. Only other thing you could possibly want is Blu-ray, and it's pretty hard to get as far as I could tell.

And best of all, looks almost stock! :thumbsup:

I think Brad is being a bit pessimistic there. I'm thinking you could fit a decent sized amp in each side, and am thinking of hooking an amp in the right hand side. Recently I had one of the Focal low profile subs recommended to me, which will fit in the spare wheel well, or possibly in the side?

First part, no problems. Should be a nice upgrade.

Second part, won't cause you too many problems except the hassle of trying to fit gauges into the mechanism. If it were me, I'd use the pop up screen to show the gauges electronically. You could probably display 6 on there at any one time with decent resolution.

Then if you decide to sell the car later on, it will be more desirable as the screen is functioning (IMO). Though you will need to find another spot for the sub...

Good luck with the project and, whatever you end up deciding to do, please show us the pics :rolleyes:

how do i show gauges on the screen? that would be geat ! the only reason i want to remove the screen is because the resolution isn't exactly awesome and the TV unit i have is better. plus, i dont really want to go adding heaps of extra bits of kit to make the jap stuff work. id rather just pull it all out and put in new stuff that works for our stereo bandwidth and TV networks.

am definitely keen to keep the factory look happening as i dont like things all over the place, which is why i was going to massage some gauges into the gap left by the factory screen.

the reason im using a single din DVD and single din TV is because i bought them ages ago and still have them - so figure i might as well put them to good use... i need to check if the have the inputs i want again, if not, i'll up grade to something else, but my over all aim to have a functioning TV, DVD and some gauges.

Edited by 1UZ180

What have you got in there now?

I've replaced one light, and am about to replace a second, with Narva Compac 100 spotlights with HID conversions using the standard fog light mounts.

For blanking plates, PM Ironpaw, think he has/will soon have some spares?

how do i show gauges on the screen? that would be geat !

The HKS Fcon iS piggyback has a plug in harness for the ECU and yellow RCA output to display various readouts on screen.

Commsman can make you up an adaptor cable to plug straight into the OEM popup unit, or if you go with a double din aftermarket screen, you could probably just plug it straight in using a generic yellow RCA cable.

^^^ but nothing for factory ecu - has to be FCON ??

It depends on how much trouble you want to go to. A Carputer with an OBDII cable & software seems to be the most common way guys do it. Do a search on the V35 forum for some threads or Google OBD2 software, carpc etc

getting a bit too much effort i'll just pull all the bits out i dont want/need and sort gauges and other stuff later - future greg's problem :P

Leave them in! As said above, you don't need to remove the single din gauges, and it could effect resale.

Go for the factory look. I can take some pics of mine if you want.

• 10 months later...

You mean like this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Infinity-G35-2003-2004-CD-Stereo-Fascia-CT24NS09-/270718155547?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f080f3b1b#ht_2274wt_1393

There are a few options available, I have one here on an RS wreck too. What colour are you after though?

It depends on how much trouble you want to go to. A Carputer with an OBDII cable & software seems to be the most common way guys do it. Do a search on the V35 forum for some threads or Google OBD2 software, carpc etc

I wish it was that easy...