SAU Community

New Garrett Gtx2860R / 2863R / 2867R

Gav

Did you use the -5 before on the non-built engine?

Or how do you come to the conclusion the GTX are laggier than the -5?

I have used HKS GT2530, GT-RS and now GTX2860 (all in their genuine housings) on a RB30 with stock cams, and the GT-RS were the only one which were REALLY laggy.

As they have been on the car inbetween I can´t really compare the 2530 to the GTX side-by-side, but my impression still is that the GTX are way better spooling etc. than the 2530...am I really that wrong?

BTW all turbos were running with about 1.5 bar / 22psi.

You are running an RB30, definitely helps with spool up there! GTX's would love the 3 litres worth of exhaust energy.

2.6 to 2.8, feels better. 2.6 to a 3.0, different ball park!

R32GTR: Used the 2860-5's on a friend's built rb26, stock stroke with 264 hks cams. Full 22psi at 4600RPM on BP 98b fuel.

R32GTR: I have personally used HKS2530's and got 22psi at 5000RPM, also on a built engine with tomei poncams type B 260's

R34GTR I have used the 2860-9 and GTX2860 at this stage.

About the boost response, keep in mind that mine still has the bigger anti surge compressor housings, these hurt my mid range boost building, because of the anti surge slots. My setup can't supply enough punch to the turbine wheels down low to spin them up quick enough to pressurise the compressor housings.

I also read up that the GTX2860 is a 400HP turbo? GTX2863 is a 430HP?

Simon has the machined -5 housings on his GTX2863's along with E85, these are the better setup for a GTX twin turbo RB26-28.

I actually found mine nicer to drive (punchier) down low with dialled in stock cams too :/

Could be down to tuning as well..

I also used the anti surge housings with the GTX, with the stock cams Full boost was there around 4500, Same as the HKS GT2530s before. HKS GT-RS with their anti surge housings did take at least another 500rpm to spool.

All on stock cams, with 100cpi cat and 3.5" exhaust.

Didnt retune since the install of HKS 256 in 264ex cams but even with 2-3 degree less ignition now feels to push a lot harder.

so in terms of response... it's better to make hybrid versions of these new turbos and potentially deal with some surge issues?

so i would use my HKS 2530's with these, like those have used their old -5's with the new GTX?

• Like 1

so in terms of response... it's better to make hybrid versions of these new turbos and potentially deal with some surge issues?

so i would use my HKS 2530's with these, like those have used their old -5's with the new GTX?

I would be reluctant to go that way. HKS 2530's still fetch a price in comparison to -5, would probably be worth keeping/selling and using some cheap -5 to modify.

yeah, that would most likely be the plan.

For me though, i'd probably see if Stao could fit some VNT turbos in a low mount twin config - Vcam + variable turbos..... mmmmmmm... :D

+ stroker :D

yeah, that would most likely be the plan.

For me though, i'd probably see if Stao could fit some VNT turbos in a low mount twin config - Vcam + variable turbos..... mmmmmmm... :D

Vnt should be easy enough to fit in that configuration you'd think! Would be crazy

ultimate for me would be...

2.8 + V-Cam (type B upgrade with greater timing advance) + Variable/VNT twin low mount + spastically high compression ratio 11:1 :D

and ultimate+ would be adding direct injection ontop of all of that...

in a billet alloy 26 block :D lol

(don't think are made anymore)

Full boost at idle

• 3 months later...

Welcome in 2013, just realised you can have a bolt-on version of the GTX on a rb26. Which lead me to 2 choice, If I'm not mistaken, regard to bolt-on setup while still being an upgrade to -5, the gtx2860r/63 VS the RAW manifold + PTE6262 ( or wtv the number is lol, im still no pte expert).

Anyone willing to shed some light on pros/cons between these 2 setup ?

Just put the GTX 2863 cores into -5's with the machined front housing, save yourself a whole lot of stuffing around. I made 90hp in the mid range with mine and 50rpm quicker response. They ran all the way up to 33psi with 478kwatw, bloody awesome mod IMO and my car was a crazy animal at the track, they totally transformed my car IMO.

Somewhere mate, I have just sold the car a few weeks ago, I'll dig around for it, but just moved from Brissy to Perth, so I have crap everywhere.......lol.
The difference was awesome on my car, and the sound of the turbo howl at mid throttle sounded amazing, little bit like a supercharger.

The difference was awesome on my car, and the sound of the turbo howl at mid throttle sounded amazing, little bit like a supercharger.

can vouch for this. will put up decent chart when exhaust leak is fixed but turbo sounds like a truck spooling :P

• Like 1

What was the rest of the setup?

My car was Aaron P's old car from Victoria which Racepace originally built, the 2.8L still but now with full E85 setup, Platinum Pro ECU 272 deg 10.1 cams, which suit the GTX 2863's pretty well.