SAU Community

E85/eflex And Oil Choice

SS8_Gohan

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... What a read. Due to being a recent E85 convert I will need to make a call on this. I only ever used castrol edge 10w60 but after looking at it's specs seems like I will need to change. I'll probably try 1 of the following 2. My car still has a standard engine so thankfully I don't have to be concerned about 10k builds. Those that know my car it is mostly time attack / club days or hill climb / motorkhana events.

1. Penrite racing 20. 20w60. Seems cheap (bout ~70-80 bucks) enough to change every 2 events or so. I like.

2. Motul 15w50. Can't seem to find what the difference is between 300V and 6100, 4100 blah blah. Seems frieken expensive wherever I look though!

Wow... What a read. Due to being a recent E85 convert I will need to make a call on this. I only ever used castrol edge 10w60 but after looking at it's specs seems like I will need to change. I'll probably try 1 of the following 2. My car still has a standard engine so thankfully I don't have to be concerned about 10k builds. Those that know my car it is mostly time attack / club days or hill climb / motorkhana events.

1. Penrite racing 20. 20w60. Seems cheap (bout ~70-80 bucks) enough to change every 2 events or so. I like.

2. Motul 15w50. Can't seem to find what the difference is between 300V and 6100, 4100 blah blah. Seems frieken expensive wherever I look though!

I've been using Castrol Edge 10w60 with Ethanol for over a year now, oil comes out fine every time it's dumped with no issues. My motor probably gets leant on a lot harder than most :)

I'm about to change fuel pumps and switch to e85 soon too. Would anyone know if the Castrol Edge is any good as a daily driver e85 oil as opposed to Simon's track car?

I'd be looking to change it every 5000 or so to avoid the oil turning to crap. I'm not too hard on the car, just squirts here and there maybe a visit to the strip some stage.

I've become a bit of a penrite fanboy of late so I may not be the best judge..but it's in everything diff/engine/box in both my cars and I'm happy. :)

40$ for hpr10, SN rated, full synth, full zinc..its a bargain

I only just started using it and havent out e85 in it yet so don't want say it's the best choice and misinform people

It does run a little thicker than I would like on the street but oil pressure stays consistent when pushed and I would even be comfortable using for light track duties...

ARTZ I agree with you on the penrite hpr cant beat it for vaule im probably going to make the shift from motul 4100 to hpr1560 since its 15 bux a bottle cheaper and since its 1 a month is a good saving. Its pretty much same as 4100 so wont be problem for e85.

Nick running edge in a daily e85 car will be fine if you swap every 5k, dailys have less issues with the oil on e85 as they spend alot of time not running dailys run constantly so every 5 k is perfect.

Probably a bit thick, better with a 10/40 or 10/50Castrol

Will be fine but there are cheaper alternatives..just look for an SN rated oil

every racepace car runs edge 10/60 and none have problems. they are probably some of the more leant on motors around too.

I use it on pulp and have no oil pressure worries.

So you have the exact same oil pressure with the edge as you did 4100..?

I went from 8100 to hpr 10, it has gone up a little

I wasn't knocking using edge at all. I have just found all cars feel a little more lively with lighter oils, especially if your down on power..if you have 500 ponies under the hood then it's hardly a problem..

But really what's edge worth 60-70$..it seems everybody is saying the best option with e85 is too change it often, so if you can get a capable oil for half the price..well it makes sense to me .

Nick running edge in a daily e85 car will be fine if you swap every 5k, dailys have less issues with the oil on e85 as they spend alot of time not running dailys run constantly so every 5 k is perfect.

Only problem is my daily driving would be classified as something like super-duper-ultra urban. :yucky:

I work like 5 mins from home, so my commute is all before the car is properly warm. Other driving is a bit better but mostly my usage is not a great amount of time at operating temp unless it's a leisure drive. Doesn't cold engine driving like that give the most amount of chance for the fuel to wash past the bores into the sump etc and destroy the oil?

So you have the exact same oil pressure with the edge as you did 4100..?

I went from 8100 to hpr 10, it has gone up a little

I wasn't knocking using edge at all. I have just found all cars feel a little more lively with lighter oils, especially if your down on power..if you have 500 ponies under the hood then it's hardly a problem..

But really what's edge worth 60-70$..it seems everybody is saying the best option with e85 is too change it often, so if you can get a capable oil for half the price..well it makes sense to me .

cant really compare the two as i changed engines at the same time... however this new engine is very very lively

when i use ethanol i use motul 15w50

Yeah but what else have you changed Hamish..I have seen the condition of your filters mate, :laugh:

A new fuel and air filter can make a huge difference alone to a cars performance.. plus better compression yadda yadda etc..try putting a 5/30 oil in it now and i bet you notice a little difference ;)

I haven't tried Edge..maybe one day for kicks..so believe me in not knocking it..especially if it comes with RP seal of approval, who am I to argue

But I think we have gone off track here cause what this thread is about is "ethanol oils" and that is why I chose the "hpr10" because I was going to tune for e85 .I was actually on my way to the servo to get a drum when Cat rang to tell me the clutch was no good :(

1..It is SN rated and it should be good with ethanol, its been designed for it

2..It is cheap so I could change it very often anyway

I was also tempted to just use my diesel oil "hpr5" same as my ute ,as it too should be good with ethanol and I also considered the Motul you are using

If I wasn't planning ethanol I would definately just stick with the 8100 , I did like it better...or maybe even try the castrol.

Though the way I'm going I will never see an e85 tune anyway..lol..

• 2 months later...

Just abit of my finding for anyone interested during the cold this winter, car basically spent two months in the garage with being started once a week up to operating temp and when I went to drop the oil today before the next track day this is what I found.

Oil had completly absored the e85 wasnt even oily anymore ended up like water. This is motul 4100 power, it was fine for 3 months in summer but winter guess its not up to the task for being stationary.

post-50426-0-58438900-1341470337_thumb.jpg

Edited by boostn0199

Penrite also have an oil called Enviro+, designed for alcohol based fuels and diesel cars with DPFs. They make a 5-w30, 5-w40 and a 10w-40, all full synth, range between $62 and $85 / 5L bottle.

And I'm pretty sure their 10 tenths racing oils are Alcohol compatible, group 5 pao/ester 100% synth + at least $5-10 less than mobil1/castrol...