SAU Community

E85/eflex And Oil Choice

SS8_Gohan

Hey Paul, if by oil analysis you mean take a test tube to someone for scientific analysis then probably not. I wouldn't know the first thing about that

If you mean visuals of water contamination + photos, of course! :P

Plus, I'm not sure how relevant my analysis would be to you, I only own a lowly gtst, not a full house 2.8 GTR! :P

Hey Paul, if by oil analysis you mean take a test tube to someone for scientific analysis then probably not. I wouldn't know the first thing about that

If you mean visuals of water contamination + photos, of course! :P

Plus, I'm not sure how relevant my analysis would be to you, I only own a lowly gtst, not a full house 2.8 GTR! :P

Ethanol and fuel is same same. It gives no fark for car type or capacity haha.

I made the change to E85 a few months back. I have been using the Penrite sin range for years.

After going to E85 I put some fresh Penrite sin 20/50 in and dropped it today after maybe 3000km.

Oil looked fine. My car is making 270rwkw and has nearly 200k on the clock. It gets looked after but does get a boot full every now and then. To be honest I can't fault the Penrite stuff. I have tried RP and the Motul oils and my car just doesn't seen to like it as much as the Penrite. My 2cents anyway.

I made the change to E85 a few months back. I have been using the Penrite sin range for years.

After going to E85 I put some fresh Penrite sin 20/50 in and dropped it today after maybe 3000km.

Oil looked fine. My car is making 270rwkw and has nearly 200k on the clock. It gets looked after but does get a boot full every now and then. To be honest I can't fault the Penrite stuff. I have tried RP and the Motul oils and my car just doesn't seen to like it as much as the Penrite. My 2cents anyway.

i run pentrite with E85 as does everyone i know when they are running E85. Seems to be the oil of choice and doesnt seem to break down as quick as some of the others under these conditions..

if you do some searching on the net you will find that ALOT of people say the same thing so thats a winner IMO

Ok so dropped out the Edge 10w60 over the weekend. Here's my super scientific analysis: It was fine. It looked and smelled like any other oil I've changed before.

I copied the technique I read in Performance Imports magazine by stirring up the oil to see if there was water separated from the oil that would show up as white stuff where you stir it, but I saw nothing.

Note: this is a 270kw r33 gtst that is driven every day, South East QLD weather, lots of extra urban trips when cold < 5 mins driving.

Pics:

IMG_20130323_173240.jpg

IMG_20130323_173319.jpg

IMG_20130323_173352.jpg

20w50 is too thick for dailying an SR20 with just a squirt here and there...

honestly i'd look at something a little thinner, especially on the cold viscosity... penrite have a 10w50 syn dont they?

i run pentrite with E85 as does everyone i know when they are running E85. Seems to be the oil of choice and doesnt seem to break down as quick as some of the others under these conditions..

if you do some searching on the net you will find that ALOT of people say the same thing so thats a winner IMO

Edge 10w60 is probably the most one common used in vic

Well it looked pretty good to me? How can you tell if it's broken down?

I would have thought with the type of conditions I operate my car in, it would have gone bad if it was ever going to.

I drive plenty of short trips with a cold engine, where fuel can apparently wash past the rings and into the oil etc and break it down. I do no highway kms, all around town driving. Stop start.

Well it looked pretty good to me? How can you tell if it's broken down?

I would have thought with the type of conditions I operate my car in, it would have gone bad if it was ever going to.

I drive plenty of short trips with a cold engine, where fuel can apparently wash past the rings and into the oil etc and break it down. I do no highway kms, all around town driving. Stop start.

heaps of people use it however I havent ith e85, only 98... personally I prefer motul 6100 15w50 with e85 so I can't really comment personally...

So with all the talk of E85 and oil compatability is anyone paying attention to the oils performance on the turbos at the boost people are running with E85? Seems more important for the EVO crowd who generally, like me are running bush bearing turbos