SAU Community

Apple Cash Grab - Iphone 5

R31Nismoid

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't the advertising iPhone 5 (or maybe its the new iOS) with 200 more features?

I know it will be like when I had an iPhone 4 and they bought out an update and claimed there was 100 new features, and only about 5 of them were any use.

I'm still a bit shocked that they havent really "1-upped" the Galaxy S3. Seemed like the smart thing to do, and they seem to have just matched it, and slightly bettered it.

I'm due for a new phone next year, see what samsung bring out :)

They don't need to 1-up Samsung cause they know 50,000,000 sheeple will buy one before the end of the year regardless.

I reckon they are leaking the more tech savvy to Samsung and HTC though. That will account for a large percentage of their market and, more importantly, are the people that teh sheep go to for advice.

Yeah but don't forget there is hardly anyone on 4G at the moment :)

Telstra has over 500,000 4G users on their limited network at the moment.

Speeds have dropped since I first got my phone but they have settled pretty well at 15/15 solid with the odd spike up to in excess of 30 and the rare drop down to perhaps 12.

And more importantly, I can use my phone in the middle of the day in the middle of the city. The 3G network is so completely congested that's it's pot luck whether or not you are able to get anything at all at lunchtime.

Edited by Cowboy1600

I'm seriously considering swapping my Galaxy S2 (which now has battery life of 4 hours) for an iPhone.

Marketing bullshit aside, if you look at the specs, it is a solid phone for those that don't want a 4.8" screen. If they released the iPhone 5 with Android on it, people would be impressed at the specs (unless of course some idiot came out and said it was 'revolutionary' :/ )

I'm seriously considering swapping my Galaxy S2 (which now has battery life of 4 hours) for an iPhone.

Marketing bullshit aside, if you look at the specs, it is a solid phone for those that don't want a 4.8" screen. If they released the iPhone 5 with Android on it, people would be impressed at the specs (unless of course some idiot came out and said it was 'revolutionary' :/ )

What part of it is actually impressive? The non removeable battery? The inferior talk time/standby time? The lack of removable memory? The fragile screen? The proprietary connector? The price? If it had Android 4 it would still be terrible by comparison.

Why don't you replace the battery in your S2?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2500mAh-Extended-Slim-High-Capacity-Battery-Samsung-Galaxy-S-2-II-i9100-/320974647038?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item4abb946efe#ht_2458wt_1163

What part of it is actually impressive? The non removeable battery? The inferior talk time/standby time? The lack of removable memory? The fragile screen? The proprietary connector? The price? If it had Android 4 it would still be terrible by comparison.

Non removable battery is no longer an issue you can bring up thanks to the HTC One X.

Talk time/standby time is adequate considering the size, and I'll more than likely end up with a battery case (like I have for my S2) anyway. All smartphone battery lives are rubbish.

Time will tell if the screen on the new one is as fragile as the old one, but the size definitely suits me more.

Proprietary connector isn't a big issue. There will be so many millions of these things out there that cables will be readily available, I just need an adaptor for my iPod speaker dock.

The price? It's competitive with all other top tier Android phones.

Add all that to the fact that I don't want a 5" phone, and I've been getting sick of a couple of things on Android which aren't working as I'd like, and it does look like a good idea.

Why don't you replace the battery in your S2?

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2458wt_1163

Got two of them :/

I don't know what youre doing to flatten one of those batteries in 4 hours....

Last week I got up around 10am, unplugged my phone, used it a bit up till 3pm when i got on a bus to go out to work, listened to music the whole way and even watched an episode of top gear, then worked a 12 hour night shift using my phone to jump on the internet at both my half hour breaks and it still had battery when I finished at 6am

is it possible something in your phone settings is not quite right?

If it makes you feel any better, the S3 has a much more stable battery life. I found the S2 seems to have longer battery life some days and shorter others (never just 4 hours but) whereas my girlfriends S3 seems to last the same all the time. She gets about 2 days without a charge, not a heavy phone user, but not light either

EDIT: I have the exact battery that has been linked on eBay, the one used to achieved the above usage

Edited by 89CAL

Non removable battery is no longer an issue you can bring up thanks to the HTC One X.

Talk time/standby time is adequate considering the size, and I'll more than likely end up with a battery case (like I have for my S2) anyway. All smartphone battery lives are rubbish.

Time will tell if the screen on the new one is as fragile as the old one, but the size definitely suits me more.

Proprietary connector isn't a big issue. There will be so many millions of these things out there that cables will be readily available, I just need an adaptor for my iPod speaker dock.

The price? It's competitive with all other top tier Android phones.

Add all that to the fact that I don't want a 5" phone, and I've been getting sick of a couple of things on Android which aren't working as I'd like, and it does look like a good idea.

Got two of them :/

My HTC Velocity has a removable battery, so why is it not an issue that can be raised any longer?

Talk/Standby is creamed by the S3, but you're right, all smartphone batteries are rubbish (or moreso that the power of phones compared to physical limitations of batteries are incompatible). The sooner the manufacturers stop competing to be "thinner and slimmer" the better.

The screen will be more fragile. It's made of the same stuff, only bigger. Bigger will mean more fragile.

Propriety connector means you can't just grab a micro USB and go for your life. That's a PITA. We have dozens of iphones in my workplace but it's still a PITA for people to find a charger when they need one. Not so for the Android (and micro USB) users. Propriety software is godawful, too.

Price/schmice, who doesn't get a phone on a plan these days?

I've got a 4.5" screen and it's spot on for size. It's still usable one handed which I think is the best measure of a phone. Once you have to use it two handed, you may as well get a tablet.

It's only the One X that doesn't have a removeable battery - one phone in an entire sea... Not a big issue.

However HTC's quality control is another issue entirely with 3 mates including myself outta 5 having issues with our One X's

Thats another topic entirely though, seems they are going down the path of Apple for quality checking.

Telstra has over 500,000 4G users on their limited network at the moment.

Speeds have dropped since I first got my phone but they have settled pretty well at 15/15 solid with the odd spike up to in excess of 30 and the rare drop down to perhaps 12.

And more importantly, I can use my phone in the middle of the day in the middle of the city. The 3G network is so completely congested that's it's pot luck whether or not you are able to get anything at all at lunchtime.

Yeah 500,000 is not much though. + how many of them are on 4G at the same time :)

A mate of mine actually is in dev for Telstra under mobile ops so playing around with this stuff all the time, i'll see if i can get more info from him.

Agree RE: 3G in the CBD, Telstra has been struggling bad for 12 months now.

I don't know what youre doing to flatten one of those batteries in 4 hours....

Last week I got up around 10am, unplugged my phone, used it a bit up till 3pm when i got on a bus to go out to work, listened to music the whole way and even watched an episode of top gear, then worked a 12 hour night shift using my phone to jump on the internet at both my half hour breaks and it still had battery when I finished at 6am

is it possible something in your phone settings is not quite right?

If it makes you feel any better, the S3 has a much more stable battery life. I found the S2 seems to have longer battery life some days and shorter others (never just 4 hours but) whereas my girlfriends S3 seems to last the same all the time. She gets about 2 days without a charge, not a heavy phone user, but not light either

EDIT: I have the exact battery that has been linked on eBay, the one used to achieved the above usage

I'm not doing anything different, and I've gone from getting a day out of my extended battery to only around 4-5 hours. I've now got all the battery conservation stuff turned right up, and I charge it all day at work.

My HTC Velocity has a removable battery, so why is it not an issue that can be raised any longer?

Talk/Standby is creamed by the S3, but you're right, all smartphone batteries are rubbish (or moreso that the power of phones compared to physical limitations of batteries are incompatible). The sooner the manufacturers stop competing to be "thinner and slimmer" the better.

OneX shows this is a direction that other phone manufacturers are going down that road. New Nokia WinMo phones are another example.

I'm resigned to the fact that whatever I get, battery life will be relatively bad, and I'll need an external battery of some description for some trips.

I've got a 4.5" screen and it's spot on for size. It's still usable one handed which I think is the best measure of a phone. Once you have to use it two handed, you may as well get a tablet.

Exactly. And I have a tablet, so I don't feel the need to have an epic screen size.

It's only the One X that doesn't have a removeable battery - one phone in an entire sea... Not a big issue.

However HTC's quality control is another issue entirely with 3 mates including myself outta 5 having issues with our One X's

Thats another topic entirely though, seems they are going down the path of Apple for quality checking.

The two guys with One X's in our office both have problems with the screen flickering when displaying large blocks of black or grey colour. Very strange. Screens look great other than that. Apparently it's a software/voltage thing and it can be fixed via firmware.

Its funny. For what I do, the OS makes very little difference. I need access to Exchange and Google email, I need to be able to view meeting invites properly (unlike the bullshit Android implementation that doesn't show you when the meeting is in the invite), internet, music, and occasionally Angry Birds. I have laptops and a tablet for everything else.

The two guys with One X's in our office both have problems with the screen flickering when displaying large blocks of black or grey colour. Very strange. Screens look great other than that. Apparently it's a software/voltage thing and it can be fixed via firmware.

My screen has effectively died - it's flickering, altering the resolution etc. 100% not a firmware problem as it comes and goes, something in it is internally farked connector wise i reckon cause if you tap it in a certain area it comes good lol.

Unfortunate compared to me Sensation/HD2 - they were really good.