SAU Community

Sau Vic 2012 Motorsport Championship Round 4 - Pi 21St July

emts

Haha yeah, already looking at buying a patrol as a daily/towing car.

Want to try and get a bit more serious so I can go more often.

?

I drive mine to and from. Keep it simple, put money into track days rather than car. There is much more time improvement with the driver, than in the car.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice drive John and pedal cam to! you must be happy with cracking into the 1:4X's?

I see your car stays so flat in the corners with almost no body roll, gotta get me some of that....

Good to see new people out there giving it a crack!

What happened to your car today mate?? Your car looked and sounded awesome, love your work on the front splitter.

Blew the motor. Didn't really get a chance to test the splitter and cannards...

what an awesome track, this was my first time at PI so I am happy with my times and still so much more left in it, need more balls.

thanks to the organisers, officials and photographers. also thanks to John for showing me around in my first session :thumbsup: Does anyone know when the next PI day is? I have found PIARC and MSCA events in Sept so I think I might aim for one of those events.

Do a PIARC weekend. Lots of track time and no ghay 75db restrictions. Can't believe how many people got done! I reckon their meter was inaccurate.

PIARC is a 95db day.

WORST track day ive ever been to.

Fair enough that they reckon my car was too loud. Thats fine, it is pretty loud, not that I ever expected to get booted for it; im happy to accept that. I got 2 sessions, $105 a pop, great value. Despite cruising on the second (didnt want to go home) they still booted me.

The fact that Newton (as one example) was also done is a joke. His car is almost whisper quiet. They pretty much sent half the field home after the first 2 sessions.

The other thing that really pissed me off is that there were still some cars circulating that were LOUD AS FARK! In particular the white late model WRX, last session.

Favouritism much?? This makes it very unfair for those who had to go home early.

WRX Club dont have enough common sense to ask questions as to why so many people were getting done for noise? Sure they said the meter was calibrated 4 times, so they say, but obviously there was a problem with it that this didnt fix. If they were so sure that their meter was correct why would they even do it 4 times??

WRX club/CAMS/PI/Whoever have failed to ensure a credible meter was used.

Pretty sure ill never go to a WRX event again if I can avoid it. Im sure alot of other people are as bitter as I am.

Edit: On the up side, the track was sensational. I really enjoyed the speed and the g's. Cant wait to get out there again.

Matt - the WRX Club have NO control over the sound people. That is done by the track management. And the CofC MUST follow the directtion of track management. It would have been the same no matter who was running the day.

Same thing is common at Sandown unfortunately. A bunch of cars got booted at the John Mott track day at Sandown a few weeks back. They seem to be getting more stringent with noise now.

If you want a good day at PI without sound issues then the PIARC days are the ONLY 95dB days that are available. And all of their days are 95dB.

Every other club day will be a 75dB day however as they only have a permit to run a certain number of 95dB days per year and full race meets get allocated most of those days.

Sounds like you need a bolt on muffler for these 75dB days, although a few of the cars running road systems still got done as I understand.

I had a great time, ended up with a 2.03, not bad I thought for an 1800kg auto wagon with tune issues running old thrashed KU36's... When is the next track day? :)

Thanks Snow, Bris did mention the PIARC days as well. I will be aiming for one if possible.

Still doesnt explain why many other loud cars were out until the last session. Anyway..

Yep Purple 32.

Yeah but was my idea Scott.. :D If I didn't nag you to do it I would have gone out screaming and spent the day the sin bin with Mat and the others..But yes, thanx for doin it ,your a legend. :cheers:

yeah I got pinged for sound first time ever with no changes to the car... and there 3 weeks ago...strange....

I was backing off way b4 the bridge too worried would get a backfire on lift off and get pings, so my tap times were 20-30km down at the end fo the straight compared to previous event.

Till I went for it in my last session then over drove the car trying to crack times so messed it all up.

Bit of a pain, but till I get pinged again I'm not changing it.

More pics up here

http://www.sdpics.com/cgi-bin/e-store/index.cgi?direct=8000~Motor_Sport/9000~Cars/05~Car_Club_Track_Days/92~21_July_2012_-_WRX_Car_Club

That sound equipment was just f**ked, plan and simple. Sandown has to be one of the most heavily enforced tracks in the country for sound. If a car passes there, it should pass everywhere.

At the end of the day, if you have a screamer venting, Winton, Calder, Haunted Hills and PIARC are your only options for good value (more than 2 sessions).

The oil sucked, as it used a mass amount of perfect track conditions. But you can't do anything about knobs.

Im surprised they didnt give out a dB reading or some sort of evidence to back up claims.

also, cheers for the pics links. werent gonna buy any, but the thumbnails will do :P

Katie musnt have liked the Pulsar :(

lol, you may have been in the group just after Martin came back into the pits, thus no photos.

Congrats to all those who scored PB's! As others have said, it was a great day for it, just a pity so many people had dramas whether it be mechanical/noise or otherwise.

I was bitterly disappointed my day was cut short by mechanical gremins but what can you do (thats the last time I'm fitting gtst parts to a gtr hey bris). As for the whole noise thing, Snowie hit it on the head in that the club running the day has no control over the matter. So many things effect the noise reading...clouds, wind direction blah, blah its hard to know what pushes one car over the limit and not others. I've said it before but I will say it again...as far as I am concerned noise limits do not belong on a trackday. You go there to see how fast you and your car is....not to back off at the location where a sound meter is :rant: