SAU Community

Disposing Used Coolant

Hey guys, I got a bottle of coolant I'm trying to get rid of. Had a google around and many said take it to a dump and they'll sort it out. Are there any places to dispose of waste chemical around Fairfield 2165 area?

Damn, i thought the newer generation of coolants were environmentally friendly(er) n putting them down the drain wasnt a problem.

Not so the case?

I asked the local Natrad bloke what he does with his waste, he said he treats it (to even out the PH I think) and then dumps it down the drain.

I asked the local Natrad bloke what he does with his waste, he said he treats it (to even out the PH I think) and then dumps it down the drain.

There are many neutral pH substances that should never be dumped in a drain.

The treatments he uses might include (amongst other things) surfactants as well as acid/alkali chemicals I think

just tip it on your weeds....

don't pour it down the drain and do not tip it on your weed...

I just chuck it on the plants...doesn't seem to do them any harm, in fact I noticed that at my parents house the weeds that my father emptied coolant on did better than the neglected adjacent weeds which didn't get a watering.

Lol seems like my "pouring down the toilet" post got deleted.

The only reason i said that is because all sewerage in the City i lived in is processed in a treatment plant before going anywhere near the ocean. The water outlet from it is cleaner than the water its being dumped into. So really its not a bad option. :)

And im pretty sure a treatment plant is well equipped to handle anything that could possibly be flushed down a toilet. They would have had it all and some.

Edited by gotRICE?

If some of you have seen what ends up in the tips, and leaches into the ground, Coolent it the least of your worries - Though im not one to add to the crap land fill.

Check with local council - i know mine has cirtain days per year were they set up a big chemical/paint/oil waste disposal at a local carpark,

They let you bring it all and dispose of it, Best thing it, due to saftey they wont let you out of the car, So pop your boot and they will grab it all out for you :)

Actaully my local council has some good services- Free woodchipping/mulching 5 times per year its great. Free mulch and dont have to take anything to the tip, Just go nuts with the chainsaw and leave it all out the front drive way- Come home to 6-7 bags full of fresh mulch.

Edited by sydking

The only reason i said that is because all sewerage in the City i lived in is processed in a treatment plant before going anywhere near the ocean. The water outlet from it is cleaner than the water its being dumped into. So really its not a bad option. :)

And im pretty sure a treatment plant is well equipped to handle anything that could possibly be flushed down a toilet. They would have had it all and some.

Thats cool!, Our here in sydney goes straight out intot he ocean, Feild of mars even has the old above ground sewage tunnles from many years ago.

And wasent it maroobra beach back in the day that had the sewage pipes leading straight into the beach haha

whilte the sewerage processing systems can deal with it, doesnt mean that it easily or prefereably can. For example, the amount of processing that it takes to sort bleach via the sewerage system is huge. But of course most people do use bleach in their toilets n sinks. But, essentially, its bad for the sewerage processing system.

Im sure coolant would also fall into this category.

OK, I've just asked my neighbour Ricky, who has a 80 year old Antique car.

He (Alan) will gladly take that pre-1985 coolant off your hands :)

I can pick it up for him.

Sure man, but its a little bit of a drive to pick up for a bottle of coolant!

It's ok Ricky. That old man has taught this 'young' whippersnapper much about cars. Time for me to repay back the favour.

PM me your addy and I'll pick it up Fri night pls?