SAU Community

So I Spun Out Again - Wtf Is Going On?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get some better tyres. Or go and do a defensive driving course, as you will hurt yourself or worse others. You need to learn to drive that thing.

Do a defensive driving course and learn how to control your car ASAP

This

Its funny how everyone is saying how tail happy the Skylines are in the wet, mine was faster and handled better in the wet than it ever did in the dry haha

Haha, drifting around corners is faster

Is it only like this in the wet? Is there a chance that your tyres are on the wrong sides, i.e going against the Correct rotation? Therefore causing water not to dispurse away from the tyres

Is it only like this in the wet? Is there a chance that your tyres are on the wrong sides, i.e going against the Correct rotation? Therefore causing water not to dispurse away from the tyres

That's a really good point.

I remember I borrowed a honda CRV with flogged out suspension all round. If I went around a roundabout any faster than Nanna would, it would understeer into the next lane. So rubbish. I'd be inclined to re-check your suspension geometry, swap out your tyres, and go learn more about driving in the wet. Don't turn under brakes!

if your coilovers are adjustable put it on a looser setting

it's most likely tyre quality/wear causing you to spin out at low speed in the wet

take close up a picture of your tyres on the sidewall & the treads & post it here

I don't understand how a 180 degree spin is possible at such low speeds around a round about. Was it the same round about that you spun out on the second time? Maybe there's a bump in the road that you're not seeing in the wet?

New tires is just a bandage fix imo. I have shitty ones and they grip fine in the, never had it come out unexpectedly, definetly nowhere near a 180. How's it grip in the dry? Could be the Tyres facing the wrong way as mentioned before

It sounds like there's basically no weight transfer at all in your set up.

If your springs & shocks are too stiff; you'll get no warning when it's about to break away.

No body roll is not necessarily a recipe for good handling; there has to be some compliance; otherwise the car won't absorb any bumps, it just bounces over them.

No wheel on the ground; no traction from that wheel. Doesn't matter how wide your tyres are then.

Do the coilovers have adjustable damping? What are the spring rates?

yes they have 30 levels. I figured that its daily driver so i out it on the softest setting on all four corners. could this have something to do with it?

My money is on shit tyres. What are they?

Pedders coilovers arent harder than some jap spec ones. So Im declined to blame that.

My mates 32 had a problem with spinning around spontaneously, but his hicas light was intermittently on. So we blamed that.

But for you, Get some better tyres. Or go and do a defensive driving course, as you will hurt yourself or worse others. You need to learn to drive that thing.

Do you accelerate out of the roundabout when this spin around occurs?

i accelrate , but ever so slightly.

tyres are :

Falken Ziex ZE912

265/35zr18 97w

good tread..

maybe who ever did that threw them over a Nissan Dealer

lol , bakemono racer jab

Do a defensive driving course and learn how to control your car ASAP

yes i will be doing this soon as well

if your coilovers are adjustable put it on a looser setting

it's most likely tyre quality/wear causing you to spin out at low speed in the wet

take close up a picture of your tyres on the sidewall & the treads & post it here

as above , its on its softest setting it its 30range of hardness settings

2012-08-26122020.jpg

2012-08-26122026.jpg

2012-08-26122035.jpg

2012-08-26122008.jpg

2012-08-26121224.jpg

2012-08-26121219.jpg

I don't understand how a 180 degree spin is possible at such low speeds around a round about. Was it the same round about that you spun out on the second time? Maybe there's a bump in the road that you're not seeing in the wet?

no this was a completely different round about

...Was doing about 40km/h.... first thought was I hydroplaned....

You would be surprised how fast you are actually going when you think you are "doing about 40km/h"
I dont feel i have the skills to get myself out of trouble should this happen again with traffic around....

Then get yourself along to a defensive driving course. They should cover wet weather driving, and will even wet the road down for you to show what can happen.
This has only started happening since i got coilovers(which virtually eliminated body roll)...im quite sure that the act that I have a much lower center of gravity has something to do with it but how exactly... whats the physics behind this? I assumed having no body roll was a good thing , but now in the wet I have to take corners slower!

No body roll is bad. The guys at Pedders should know better than to build a setup that doesn't permit lateral weight transfer.

Is the suspension adjustable for ride height? If so, has the car been corner weighted?

What tyre pressures are you running? And a wider tyre doesn't equate to more grip. Maybe the tyres you have aren't really designed for wet road traction.

Have just seen your pics of tyres - nothing wrong with the Falkens. I run them myself, albeit a 235/45x17 on a 32 GTS4 - and I have never had a problem with them in the wet. As I said, maybe they are TOO wide for the rim. And being an 18, there may not be enough compliance in the sidewall to allow good wet grip.

Maybe it was just after a longish dry spell that you struck the roundabout in the wet. Long dry spells cause a buildup of oils and crap that takes quite a bit of rain to disperse. But then you'd expect every second car to be spinning out.

Too stiff

Drive smoothe in bad weather , easy throttle, anticipate braking and idiots cutting you off , and drive to conditions not the speed limit

Tire size is fine same as mine

Oil on roads is likely

Coming into corner to fast and then mid corner snapping throttle closed , unloads the rear end and it snaps it wide on you and your not steering into the skid correctly ends up swapping ends

Bumpy roads ? unload the rear end and your under power flings you sideways , wet road just lubes the spin

Expect all roads to be crap and oily in rain and go to a driving day on a skid pan on car control asap

Edited by Carbon 34

My 2 cents:

1. Running 265's in the rear and 235's upfront is a significant offset difference for the wheel track. This needs to be compensated for in your driving style. But by the sounds of things you don't have a huge amount of skill.
  2. I think you're running too much negative camber in the rear, the tyres look okay, but I can see more wear on the inside, this means that you do not have the maximum contact patch when cornerning.
  3. When you approach a corner, do you have what is known as "viscious turn in"? I do get a little hardcore on the turn in when I want sideways action, or when I am getting over zealous at the track. Try to be smooth with your steering inputs.
  4. Slow in, fast out. Great words that should be applied to every corner.
  5. Are you taking into account the camber of the road when cornering. Negative effects of camber on corner ability are amplified in the wet.
  6. Wet roads (especially freshly wet roads) are usually very oily as well.

My advice:

1. Get suspension setup properly
  2. Drop to a 255 rear end, unless you seriously need 265's for traction, don't go any wider than you need to.
  3. Do a defensive driving course, then a track day.
  4. Never ride a motorbike, shit will get ugly in a biblical way

yes they have 30 levels. I figured that its daily driver so i out it on the softest setting on all four corners. could this have something to do with it?

You don't want the softest setting, you want the right setting. If its too soft, it wont control the spring action properly. Try setting it in the middle of the range and drive that way for a couple of weeks, or as long as it takes until you get the feel of it. Then from there try making it harder or softer, but give yourself some time to acclimatise too it. On some shocks with 30 levels it has been found a lot of the settings do nothing... I would try at 15 first, get used to it, then try 10 or 20 or whatever depending on how you think it feels.