SAU Community

Beware - R34 Gtr For Sale In Sydney

So as this VIN does indeed match the auction sheet the "fact" is therefore this car "cannot" be registered (being an R - Grade car)?

As long as the buyer is aware of what they are purchasing then they are able to pick up a nice car ...

I believe it can be complied and registered so long as the repairs have been done professionally and there is no sign of structural damage.

I'm not to sure, but I believe its up to the compliance workshops to determine whether there actually is no sign of structural damage. And as I said, some dealers own their own compliance workshops. I remember there was a column about it in an issue of High Performance Imports.

The evidence presented in this thread alone is quite damning. This thread is proof of the power of the internet and must remain at the top to warn others of the dangers of buying such vehicles.

I'm not surprised though as such shady business practices have been happening for a verrrry long time. And not just in the automotive industry.

I had always thought that you couldn't register R-grade cars, and they were only to be imported as track-only cars; perhaps one of the importers on here can clarify the legality or not of this. What I am sure of is that a 90,000km odometer windback/swap is not legal unless the RTA has been advised that an odometer has ben replaced. Eiother way, there must be a resord of the swap on that vehicle.

The internet is a glorious place.
I will continue to post up as much information as I find until Mods tell me to stop.
It's the right of the consumer to know the truth about dodgy cars being bought into the country.

I remember there was a column about it in an issue of High Performance Imports.

There was - I'm glad someone read it!

In typically ambiguous Japanese fashion, R can mean anything from a panel being taken off to repair a pin dent to the whole front end of the car being wiped off the map by a bullet train. It's a fairly simple process - the inspectors check the bolts holding the panels on (at the front end) to see if the paint is cracked (indicating they've been removed) or the welds on the rear to see if they're factory welds or paint shop ones.

As a general rule, a 0 or R grade car shouldn't be an issue for compliance if it only has a single panel replaced. If there are two adjoining panels replaced (like the bonnet and one of the front guards) chances are the structure of the vehicle has been repaired, and this should be a no-no for compliance. With 0 or R grade cars, inspection in the metal is a no-brainer before purchasing.

• Like 1

There was - I'm glad someone read it!

In typically ambiguous Japanese fashion, R can mean anything from a panel being taken off to repair a pin dent to the whole front end of the car being wiped off the map by a bullet train. It's a fairly simple process - the inspectors check the bolts holding the panels on (at the front end) to see if the paint is cracked (indicating they've been removed) or the welds on the rear to see if they're factory welds or paint shop ones.

As a general rule, a 0 or R grade car shouldn't be an issue for compliance if it only has a single panel replaced. If there are two adjoining panels replaced (like the bonnet and one of the front guards) chances are the structure of the vehicle has been repaired, and this should be a no-no for compliance. With 0 or R grade cars, inspection in the metal is a no-brainer before purchasing.

Thanks for posting that up Kristian, that actually clears up a lot of things said and thought.

I guess then it really comes down to the inspection and the full detail of the damage or what was indeed replaced/repaired.

Good decision.

Try Iron Chef Imports. Gets a good rap on here or be patient and wait for a good one to come up via a private seller.

That's what I'd do if I had to do it again.

I've been looking into J-Spec as well but I just can't imagine spending that much money on a used car that I've never looked at or never driven.

The internet is a glorious place.

I will continue to post up as much information as I find until Mods tell me to stop.

It's the right of the consumer to know the truth about dodgy cars being bought into the country.

SAU's position is pretty clear on this one:

Posting the Japanese Auction sheets, if they can be clearly/undeniably linked to cars for sale here in AUS and clearly demonstrate the things I have in my first post surrounding false claims, altered ODO's and similar.

You'll have our blessing to do so as long as it's factual and not attacking/slander, that's the key.

I get quite a number of people across the industry PM'ing me about various things like this, i'll gladly continue to post them up and be the "voice" so to speak as people and businesses need to know that this type of shit is simply unacceptable.

Power to the Internet!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Sydney on the weekend and hadn't yet read this thread, long story short had a look at couple of private seller cars which I passed on.

While in town had some time to kill so got on trusty old google and found all of these Import dealers along Parramatta road... One even had "Sydney's Most Trusted and Respected Import Car Dealership!" plastered all over their website hahaha.

Sat in the R34 S1 on Sunday and the salesman went on to explain how its not one of the 200 built and that the previous owner had bought the car stock then when to Nismo in japan to have the goods fitted, to be honest looks like a nice car however I doubt very highly the validity of the Km's and the asking price seems ridiculous vs the quality of the car. The Interior was not from a "very well looked after" 47xxxKm car, steering wheel is covered in scratches, seat bolsters weren't worn through but they did seam a little age softened, the front bar lip has a crack in the drivers side plus the usual scrapes, the window and boot seals appear sun damaged, and the paint work seemed to have had a pretty poor cut and polish.

I am on expert by any stretch but after reading this and seeing what I have best to just keep squirrelling away money until the right one comes along, whilst collecting as much advice and knowledge possible along the way.

Edited by mralbino
  • Like 2