SAU Community

Oil System Ideas

paul_psi

okay ill start with what I know I'm doing

ill be running a custom sump fully baffled and wing gates, head return, with an external pick up point and modify the pump for external pickup

now what I'm not sure is what pump and collar to use I heard of the new nitto pump with the splines haven't heard of anyone using it on a rb30crank and well that's basically my question what pumps have people used in the 400-500kw+ range on a 25/30 I just want to know what people have used and there advice don't want to know what people have 'heard' and before anyone says to do a search I have so many times it varies so much just want a bit more info before I buy something

Well from those links it answers your questions

1: Tomei is best/better by design - spline drive

2: Nitto doesn't have a spline drive available for sale yet.

3: Jun and nitto pumps will suit your power outputs. Plenty of more serious powered cars running those pumps.

4: limiter bashing will kill all pumps.

JUN, TOMEI and even HKS were all the options until NITTO came along.

NITTO seems more readily available as its 'local'

You can even just use upgraded billet gears for a standard or N1 pump.

Edited by jangles

Tomei pump IS NOT spline driven. God knows where this rumour has come from. It still has two flat area's just like every other RB pump on the market.

Yeh, two flats, to a spline to gears.

Obviously the better setup is an external single stage pump. Then limiter bashing wont matter at all!

yeah I thought about a external do I have to go dry sump if I go that way??

Yeh, two flats, to a spline to gears.

Obviously the better setup is an external single stage pump. Then limiter bashing wont matter at all!

Nope, wet sump can be done.

Brad (RISKING) of pro fabrication does an external wet sump with reservoir that's well priced!

It may look like a lot to start with, but by the time you add everything up with a normal pump setup it's not that much..

$1500 pump

$1500 sump

Edited by jangles

Nope, wet sump can be done.

Brad (RISKING) of pro fabrication does an external wet sump with reservoir that's well priced!

If i were to build another engine this would certainly be high up on the choice of oil pump setup for me...

No Air Con though with external pump unless someone comes up with some funky braketry.

If you're like me and feel hot at 25 degrees likewise then that's not an option!

No Air Con though with external pump unless someone comes up with some funky braketry.

If you're like me and feel hot at 25 degrees likewise then that's not an option!

very true I like my aircon

so tomei is the best out of the internal??

By design yes.

Many 1000hp gtrs have run JUN and nitto.

Why are you Doing external pickup?

new design that Etm is doing it allows there to be a full gate without the pickup being in the way he just modifies the pump to use the outer port and blocks up the inner port and welds on a speedflow fitting to the sump and that's it

Air conditioning can be retained with the external oil pump system I've been doing.

Mine is far better than any external oil pump system currently on the market. It eliminates the surge issues as well as the broken pump issue.

It's half the cost of a complete dry sump system.

I've done about 6 systems now all of which have been tracked and driven hard.

A 2 stage pump feeds a surge tank arrangement in the same way a fuel system operates. Tank design has been the key to making the system work due to oil airation.