SAU Community

Supporting Mods Before A Turbo

Hey guys, im only on my l's ( get my p's in a month) but i am looking to prepare my r34 25gt for a turbo for the next few years im on m ps, i know the basic stuff like suspention, fuel supply, brakes but im unsure about the more trivial things like diff and gear box or other things that will need to be replaced

if anyone has any ideas or recomendations, it would help alot

cheers

Hey mate

Are you planning on just whacking on a turbo on your de motor or do a conversion? If your just wanting to whack a turbo on then there is a thread that lists pretty much everything you will need to know to get you started, but as I am slowly working out and also others will suggest the cost involved are quite up there for around the same price you could sell and buy the turbo model. Since your only just getting your p's I would just do suspension and get used to how the car handles so when you can upgrade you will be able to handle it with the extra power:) but after all it is your car so do what you want, so check out the thread and talk to your mechanic and see how you go

yeah i am planning on getting a half cut or and hole engine to drop in to it, i would sell and get a turbo but because of an agreement with my dad i cant witch is kinda anoying but i wouldnt have the car without it

i have had a look at the tread and it mostly talks about what to do in the engine bay, im more thinking the handling side, and further down the drive line, so would just brakes and suspention be enough or would i need to get a new final drive ratio or new drive shafts or things like that

When you start getting above 200rwkw then you will need to think about brakes, but bigger brakes (like turbo ones now) are always a good thing.

I'm assuming yours is a manual? first thing you'll need is a stronger clutch and then a bigger fuel pump if your going to drop another motor in. Driveline and suspension can handle it depending how harsh you are.

Will be MUCH cheaper and reliable in the long run to just sell the car and get a gt-t when you get your blacks. Whatever agreement you made with your dad will surely be more flexible in a few years.

In the mean time you could still get some decent suspension / handling components as they will be swappable into turbo models. Same with all interior stuff etc etc.

As has been said, either sell it and buy a gt-t, or keep it and buy a gt-t as well. The cost of converting to turbo isn't worth it when you can buy a factory turbo model for about the same as a natro, which isn't that much more than the cost of converting everything to turbo spec

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I had a similar situation with my R32 GTS4. I replaced that solenoid, but it hasn't solved the problem. So its possible the pump is failing. It seems you need to drop the diff in order to do anything that might fix this. So its important to know exactly what the problem is. Or just replace / repair everything while the diff is out.
    • Yep, I was supprised. Its all about flow rather then housing size.  Doing G35-900 Vs ATR45SS-1 Next. 62mm V 61mm. 
    • Of course sometimes you cannot go with the cheaper alternative but I try to weigh it up for the application - am I competing or am I going to the track ten times p/yr. As long as there’s enough information out there to back the cheaper alternative as a good option I’ll go for that.   I’m a bit of a bastard though as it’s my job to reduce costs, particularly on non income generating assets. EUR 500 saved for the diff + EUR 1,000 saved on BC racing over Bilstein and then say EUR 300 versus EUR 600 on an off brand windscreen versus OEM (for example) soon accumulates. I mean, I’m probably gonna put the car in the ditch anyway. Absolutely do not take this as a justification for always buying cheap shitty parts, just a rationale for doing your research and considering what’s necessary for your application.    
    • All the above effort, time, swapping out parts in the dark (i.e. no O2 data). You're literally running in the dark.
    • Looks like both of my cars have pressure switch issues. The R32 GTR has 18 flashes on the ATTESSA controller which is "ETS pressure switch circuit". The 4WD light is intermittent, and often just restarting the car clears it. There is an $300 replacement option https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/285675135148?itmmeta=01HXN3YKRGKQ08GRZ5KFKKZWJT&hash=item428390a0ac:g:6CcAAOSwWxBltMEG so if it becomes a permanent issue and I can confirm that the switch is the issue, i have a solution. The NM35 is reporting C1208, and disconnecting the switch causes the 4WD light to go away. Translating from the Japanese shop manual "when the pressure is reduced to 2.6MPa (377 psi) or less: conduction occurs when the pressure increases to 3.8MPa (550 psi) or less: conduction is present. Reference: • Immediately after the E-TS actuator motor stops, the pressure inside the accumulator is high and there is no continuity." Not sure how good the translation is but from what i can deduce this means the switch is normally closed (NC) and as the pressure builds from 0 to 550 psi the switch stays closed, then opens and 550 psi. As the pressure drops from 550 psi to 377 psi the switch stays open then closes again at 377 psi. Is that how these things work? These pressures are a lot higher than the R32 ("control pressure 0-228 psi") but i'm hoping i can find a generic switch (like they've done for the R32) to use as a replacement. Maybe something like https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/355586397452?epid=1676016964&itmmeta=01HXN534AF22ACTG6TGDDQGEQ7&hash=item52ca99d50c:g:mAEAAOSw8ilmBcMh&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8LtWdNlWHgyJ%2F3cbw25S2A1lde3qBi3fJii4T3lQavCz4kpqiD42SmBa4FocMvXCjcxiowHjb8vZ8%2BWxc53BkHv781tkStSnCDaenfGKC3bIp0keK20dfsn9LoPa3TfqaEmAydqqyKobgTdXsGGzsl%2BRjOVGuD8OIpOv%2B0wMl7aUtHg0iJtojbtzA%2BRS8Xfm8Ufjuvz4niwrqglAXFUbkL6J%2FGuHPeeECZhLBBN3iNM1Swl94Fv5zE95YK%2B5O6dxDN1ySNOjdMxkA8yaprbuwRHFQv1nlGh%2FWjekj6EUFR2%2FO4HTsoKtSAkY0Mj1w1uf1w%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6zFjKXtYw but with a lower close pressure, and thread adapter if required. Am i dreaming?