SAU Community

O2 sensor

JaFF

Jeez... 20 pages.

Why do people always blame the O2 sensor when their fuel economy sucks.

It could be literally hundreds of things that affect you fuel economy.

If you just start replacing things bit by bit, you could end up spending thousands of dollars on new parts and still not fix the problem.

If you have a problem, you need to solve it correctly! not the shotgun approach.

And to do this properly, you need the right tools (unfortunately for most)

What I would do is firstly get an AFR log done, and actually confirm that the car is running rich, who knows you may have a fuel leak somewhere.

If you are indeed running rich then you can start looking into things that could possibly effect fuel economy, could be a leaking injector, dodgy maf, O2 sensor...

An AFR log will tell you if its your O2 sensor or not, because once your in open loop mode your O2 sensor is not used, so if your car still runs rich in open loop mode then you can rule out your O2 sensor.

Get yourself a copy of the nissan service manual, this will show you how to test sensors, it will give you voltage readings that sensors should be outputting in various conditions and get yourself a multi meter, a $10 one from jaycar is perfectly fine and go to town on the car.

If you have a cable to connect the car to the PC I'm pretty sure there is free software you can get to log all the signals, this will be an alternative and probably easier way to see what signals are being feed to your ECU.

Edited by ascenion24

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so ive read all 20 pages i think, and im totally confused, but.....

My 32 GTST is idling like a bitch and running rich and even cuts out often.

22690-73L11 is the Nissan part number for the sensor on the R32 RB20DET? and you cant get one in australia and there is no Bosch or NTK direct replacement?

I ordered one for a rb26dett from NTK thinking it was the same and of course its different, the new one that arrived just looks like a standard VL commodore one, 3L. right wires and colours and plug but wrong sensor body.

So am I right in asuming that if i buy the OZA23-D2 FORD EL one it will fit but ill have to change the wires??

so confused it hurts lol

cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

just got my o2 sensor, luckily enough my local auto1 had one sitting their waiting for me as somone ordered it and never collected it :) just waiting for the dump pipe to cool alittle before i go install it *prays for better fuel economy*

Well iv been reading through all the pages and i just bought a r33 turbo.. and fuel seems to be a b...ch so far and im only getting like 200km a full tank running on 98..

and my fuel gauge goes down fast then back up abit then down

i asked today for a o2 sensor from auto pro in Malaga and they had one for $140

But any idea's were to get it installed coz im not keen to do it myself??

Any places north side ??

Kudos motorsport, Sell ones for R32 and I think R33 for 77 dollars plus post. They even sell the tool that makes it SO much easier, for 50 bux.

Ive put my new one in and it is running better.

Well iv been reading through all the pages and i just bought a r33 turbo.. and fuel seems to be a b...ch so far and im only getting like 200km a full tank running on 98..

and my fuel gauge goes down fast then back up abit then down

i asked today for a o2 sensor from auto pro in Malaga and they had one for $140

But any idea's were to get it installed coz im not keen to do it myself??

Any places north side ??

:S what a rip, i got mine for $100! anyway its piss easy to install mate, just look behind your turbo and you will see the sensor sticking out of the dump pipe, just disconnect it, un screw it (can be a bitch, mine wasn't to bad but the WD40 did see some use) and screw the new one on! not rocket science! :ermm:

I got a direct replacement one for my 32 GTST for $100 unpluged and unscrewed the old one and screwed in and pluged in the new one. No cutting of wires and was perfect fit

If anyone is chasing one just PM me and i'll get hold of one.

Edited by Phils32

:S what a rip, i got mine for $100! anyway its piss easy to install mate, just look behind your turbo and you will see the sensor sticking out of the dump pipe, just disconnect it, un screw it (can be a bitch, mine wasn't to bad but the WD40 did see some use) and screw the new one on! not rocket science! :(

yeh i was having a look at it today..looks like sumfin i can do

were did u get urs for $100 ??

I got a direct replacement one for my 32 GTST for $100 unpluged and unscrewed the old one and screwed in and pluged in the new one. No cutting of wires and was perfect fit

If anyone is chasing one just PM me and i'll get hold of one.

What palce did u get that done ??

• 2 weeks later...

Even with shipping to Brisbane, it would be cheaper to buy a proper NTK OEM O2 sensor from Kudos Motor Sports. It costs $77 plus shipping and comes with a proper plug, so it will hook up to your existing Skyline in seconds.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately the Bosch universal replacement "0 258 005 726" for the 33 and 34 GTR's is not available in Australia anymore... So either adapt the NTK OZA395-E2 or get genuine - sux!

Just thought i would provide some feedback on the NTK 02 sensors i mentioned in the quoted post above for R33-34 GTR's. They were easy to setup and tune. Need to unpick one of the connectors and and get it into the factory front connector from memory. Some of the wires are a lil short to fit into the factory guides, but not by much.

Very easy to set up, and cheap too. Speak to Andrew @ Kudos Motorsport and he will fix you up with the awesome deal he has on at the moment.

• 1 month later...
No. They only have one, in the dump pipe itself.

The other sensor in the cat is just an overtemp switch, cat gets too hot it turns the idiot light on.

Only the '26 has two.

Dragging up an old comment, but was wondering can the overtemp sensor be removed when replacing the cat? As it looks like the cat I'm interested in doesn't have a spot for the overtemp switch.