SAU Community

O2 sensor

JaFF

• 1 month later...

Im in the middle of getting a new 02 sensor for my setup as well. It seems that on cruise my car is running very very rich.

My current setup consists of.

R34 GTT Chassis

R33 RB26 engine + wiring loom

I have 2 square like plugs for the 02 sensor in the engine bay, but after reading some stuff in this thread i realized theres a 02 sensor after the cat as well? I guess first thing first, What kind of 02 sensor will i need for the "Front" will i need a rb26 one or a rb25 plug will do fine as well? Recommended brands or shops i can purchase from?

Ill try get some pics later today.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

edit:: here are some pics

img0658ul.th.jpg

img0657cs.th.jpg

Edited by Jap_Muscle

Interesting read, thanks for that H4x.

Front oxygen sensor (square 4 pin plug). Approx 490mm from the gasket to the end of the plastic plug, NTK D2F printed on the sensor. The NTK OTD2F-P1L1 has a wire length of 435mm, a 12mm thread and looks like it has the correct square plug, but it is not available in Australia yet. The Bosch 11068 might be compatible.

Rear oxygen sensor (flat 3 pin plug (NTK type 18)). I measured mine as approx 460mm from the gasket to the end of the plastic plug, and it had NTK D2F printed on the sensor. The NTK OTD2F-P1P has a wire length of 455mm and a 12mm thread so it looks like the best replacement. A possible alternative is the NTK OTD2F-2B, but this only has a cable length of 246mm.

Update Oct 2010 - the NTK parts finder lists OTD2F-1P as the "post cat" 3 wire 450mm sensor for the R32 GTR - it has a type 90 connector, not an NTK type 18 connector. The site doesn't list a front sensor.

David Byrne advises that "Global Auto Spares Part # 351-0019 and NTK Part# KBA 16693 are suitable. Needs a 17mm spanner. Global has a suitable oxygen sensor socket with a slot cut for the wire to go through for around $40 or so."

BUT

A posting on the Skylines Australia forum says:

"Well I just opened up the O2 sensors. The brand on the pack says "Global EFI" with part number 351-0040. The plug looks a lot like the front R33 GTR one. The part number on the sensor is OZA395-E2 KBA16693 and it says that it's a NTK sensor. I'll let you know how it goes when I install it." As you know the Z in OZA395-E2 means it's zirconia based, not titania as R32 GTRs require."

So i guess the above applies to me, However are both my Front and Rear plugs suppose to be in the engine bay together?

Im in the middle of getting a new 02 sensor for my setup as well. It seems that on cruise my car is running very very rich.

My current setup consists of.

R34 GTT Chassis

R33 RB26 engine + wiring loom

I have 2 square like plugs for the 02 sensor in the engine bay, but after reading some stuff in this thread i realized theres a 02 sensor after the cat as well? I guess first thing first, What kind of 02 sensor will i need for the "Front" will i need a rb26 one or a rb25 plug will do fine as well? Recommended brands or shops i can purchase from?

Ill try get some pics later today.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

edit:: here are some pics

img0658ul.th.jpg

img0657cs.th.jpg

I had pretty much the same questions when I was doing my R33 GTR.

First off, disregard anything you've read about there being a o2 sensor after the cat converter cause there isn't one there. The only sensor you might find is a exhaust temp sensor, which is completely unrelated.

Looks like you've incorporated the RB26DETT wire loom during the engine swap, so disregard that you have a R34 GTT shell.

The 2 you found in the engine bay are the right ones

If you want the least amount of screwing around with no soldering needed, follow these steps:

1. Buy 2 x of these NKG sensors (OZA395-E2): http://www.kudosmoto...det-p-1023.html
  2. Buy an o2 Socket for removing sensors (most definitely needed): http://www.kudosmoto...22mm-p-640.html
  3. Unplug the sensors from the harness and trace the leads down to the sensors on the turbo manifold. Remember which plug goes to which sensor.
  4. Get a socket wrench with a couple extensions, a universal joint, and the o2 socket so you can reach down to the sensors.
  5. Start removing the sensors. The one nearest the front might be the most awkward to get to with the intake pipes in the way. You WILL need a bit of leverage to crack them lose since the manifold expands and contracts under extreme heat.
  6. As you've noticed already, one sensor plug is different from the other (square and rectangle). Since both new sensors have the rectangle plugs, you will need to swap over the old square plug onto one of the new sensors.
    A) To remove the square plug from the old sensor, press a needle down next to each wire. Take note of which wires are black and white. There are little clips inside which holds the wires/prongs in the plug. You will probably have to hold the plug upto the light to see which side the clips are on as they're hard to see.
    B) Remove the rectangle plug off one of the new sensors in the same way. You will now have 3 bare wires/prongs
    C) Press each wire/prong into the square plug where the old ones went. The new sensor will now clip into the female square plug on the harness :)
  7. Insert the new sensors onto the manifold and tighten up. Don't over tighten as it will be harder to remove next time you replace them in the future.

If you get stuck or confused with any of this, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to explain what to do.

Thanks so much for your advice Owens. However I need to point out I'm running a big single as apposed to twins.

Also isn't there any plugs that plug directly into the rectangle rather then stripping an modifying?

I was just simply thinking about buying a square sensor and a rectangle sensor. Pluging one into the dump pipe (pic above) then splicing into that same 02 sensor with the other one so both 02 sensors read the same.

Would this work?

Ok, disregard what I first said at the beginning then :)

Well the sensors I linked to have the rectangle plugs, so it will fit directly on.

I'm not sure if you can get NKG sensors with the square plugs or not, that's why I mentioned swapping over the square plug off the old sensor onto one of the new ones.

If you are still running 2 sensors then it's a good idea to keep them on the separate channels. Combining the 2 might give false readings to the ECU and wont calculate the correct air to fuel ratio as they're both in different places I'm assuming?

Of course this is if you still have the stock ECU. If you're running an aftermarket like a Power FC then it might be programmed to only read one sensor (I could be wrong on this)

On a side note, are you still running 2 Air Flow Meters?

More pictures and specs of your engine mods might be useful. The instructions I posted above are for a dead stock R33 GTR :)

Garret gt35r

Single 02 signal point in dump.

Power fc d jetro mafless.

Currently there are no sensors on the car. It was tuned without one. However it runs very rich on cruise which is why I'm tryna get a sensor on it.

I've contacted NTK japan to confirm the following part numbers as both square and rectangle sensors for the 32/33 gtrs

R32/R33 Rb26 Front Sensor - NTK OTD2F-P1P

R32/R33 Rb26 Rear Sensor - NTK OTD2F-P1L1

Will check back when I hear from them and I'll try get more pics tm

Edited by Jap_Muscle

With an R33 GTR ECU you want Zirconia-based oxygen sensors, and with R32 GTR ECU you want a Titania-based sensor.

NTK OTD2F == titania

NTK OZA395 == zirconia

Don't put zirconia sensors with an ECU that expects titania sensors and vice versa

What dictates the use of either Titania or Zirconia? Surely its not based on the ECU.

As mentioned already, I wouldn't bother with those sensors you mentioned as they're both Titania's

There's a difference in the way they are measured by the ECU. Titania's use resistance, Zirconia use voltage.

Here is the simplest explanation: http://www.dnd-autom...p/02-sensor.htm

Since you have a Power FC, I'm not sure if the sensor plugs in the engine bay would be hooked up on the ECU end. You might have to check this with your tuner, or whoever did the engine conversion.

They should be able to test the connectivity between the plugs and get a reading on the ECU. Will save you some hassle and money buying o2 sensors for nothing.

hey mate i was having a few problems with fuel milage and it was also running like shit and running rich, not to mention little bit of black smoke, it was my cooling temp sensor, so try that

I get woeful fuel economy. like 300km to a full tank.

would it be the o2 sensor?

if so, where can you buys these from?

JaFF

• 3 weeks later...

well if anyone of the NEO ppl were hesitating about doing it, there is no excuse now

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-3-Wire-Universal-Oxygen-Sensor-O2-Easy-Fit-Kit-/120737660086?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1c867cb6#ht_3120wt_1244

i bought the r33 one and cut the plug off (tried to be tricky and pull the pins out and swap them but they are slightly bigger in the r33 plug)

wish i had seen this, looks like the same sensor but cheaper again!

with the r33 sensor installed i got under 10l/100kms on the drive from tas-gold coast (yesterday)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a tip, you can get better fuel economy with NO O2 sensor if you get your car tuned without it. This is because you can lean it out beyond stoich to ~15:1 etc on cruise.

Emissions go out the window as running lean makes lots of nitrogen compounds but it will use less fuel.

Edited by Rolls

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tip, you can get better fuel economy with NO O2 sensor if you get your car tuned without it. This is because you can lean it out beyond stoich to ~15:1 etc on cruise.

Emissions go out the window as running lean makes lots of nitrogen compounds but it will use less fuel.

That's pretty interesting, the engine doesn't get too hot?

• 4 weeks later...

Just put in my O2 sensor today on my new jjr dump/ front, its only hand tight as i dont have the 22mm spanner, is that a problem?? Leaks etc?? Will the heat from driving- expansion n contraction eventually seal it?? There was a couple sealing washers with the sensor too.

• 1 month later...