SAU Community

Sau-Vic Motorsport Discussion

R31Nismoid

All.

There was a very last minute Motorsport meeting last night, it was good 14 odd people could make it with 24-48hrs notice.

The point of the meeting was to go over some issues that have come up recently and not only to work through those but also get ideas out about what other options are out there. Currently there are a good 14-16 people in the Motorsport C/Ship, perhaps there could be more and ideas to help kick start that and other event options.

Attached are the notes/summary of the evenings discussion.

There was a good 1.5 hours of solid back and forth with a few outcomes for people to work on over the coming month or so and report back.

Feel free to post up any additional other ideas here, discuss etc. If you'd also like to attend the next, post up as well. Likely the next meeting will be in around 6 weeks or so and with a bit more planning so people can attend if they so choose.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

SAU Vic Motorsport Discussion.pdf

Thanks to everyone who could make it at short notice, it all came together on Friday night last week.

I'd like to see more feedback from forum members (not just Vic club memeber) on two specific ideas.

1. Winton Track Day

Format would be 3 compitition groups and 3 social groups. The compitition groups would have full timming, groups allocated based on previous times, no passengers and no more than 10 cars in each group. Sesssion times would run 12 mintues. Social groups would have full timming and groups allocated on previous or estimated time for safety and have no more than 15 cars per group running passengers all day. Session times would be 8 minutes.

Total number of runs for each group would be 6-7. With a Maximum number of cars set at 75.

The idea behind this format is to allow those you want to smash out lap times and get maximum lap for buck to enter in the compitition groups and those to want to have fun and show their friends around the track can go in a more relaxed social group.

Lunch would be provided via a massive bbq.

Entry would be no more than $210ea.

2. Broadford Track Day

Format would be as a normal track day, with up to 6 competative groups of 8 cars per group. Giving 5-6 runs for each group for the day. 80% passenger session for each group during the day. Maximum number of cars would be no more than 50.

Lunch would be provided via a massive bbq.

Entry would be no more than $190ea.

Good to see discussions on Motorsport.

I'd love to see some of the Open class cars turn up more often, not sure how to get that happening though?

I'd love to see some of the Open class cars turn up more often, not sure how to get that happening though?

Guess 95db days would help but residents, penguins etc don't seem to share our passion :down:

Cheers for progressing this last night.

To get further members interested in motorsport, in addition to a beginning motorsport tech night it would be good if we could promote/target the tech night with any upcoming fun days, driver instruction events at our social club days such as karting and dyno membership days etc.

Then keep them by showing/welcoming them to the SAU garage :-)

After attending some SAU days its great to see some motorsports discussion and interest to build on what are already fun days.

John - the competition/social groups sounds like a great idea. The social group could also be used for some of the senior guys to ride along and offer driver training/tips to help new guys better their skills?

Can I be put down on the list for notifications on the next meetup.

Thks Pete

Money is generally what holds me back from doing track days, especially when each day is $200+ entry. Doesn't take much for it to turn into a $500 event.

I know there is not much that can be done to make it more affordable but under $200 would be nice.

Also, I noticed BBQ's have been mentioned which I think is a great idea to get everyone together.

Thanks to everyone who could make it at short notice, it all came together on Friday night last week.

I'd like to see more feedback from forum members (not just Vic club memeber) on two specific ideas...

Are these plans with WRX/another club?

who would official and is it volunteer or is it part of track hire?

Would the cars in the social group still get points towards the championship?

I like both ideas. Broadford could be a good way to try it out... not many people have driven there and its not too much hassle to get to.

Are these plans with WRX/another club?

who would official and is it volunteer or is it part of track hire?

Would the cars in the social group still get points towards the championship?

I like both ideas. Broadford could be a good way to try it out... not many people have driven there and its not too much hassle to get to.

We'll be discussing with WRX, however we are capable of running both event mentioned.

Winton has the lights and is turn key, Broadford requires 5 flaggies.

Yep, the social groups would be timmed and included in the results.

From Russell's point last night which I think missed the mins actually... It's the 95dB days that are the only way.

Most days being 75dB is a fair problem for those such people... And in the old penny-drop fashion explains why the 3-track challenge won't work to get those cars along as some of them are 75dB days. :merli:

So needs a bit of a rethink in that regard.

Money is generally what holds me back from doing track days, especially when each day is $200+ entry. Doesn't take much for it to turn into a $500 event.

I know there is not much that can be done to make it more affordable but under $200 would be nice.

Also, I noticed BBQ's have been mentioned which I think is a great idea to get everyone together.

No doubt at all, and if it's $200 and less than 30mins of track time (AKA, Sandown), then it's understandable. Everyone wants max value for money etc so that balance between the two is needed.

Yep Squires will be sending stuff to each round. If I'm not there to cook it someone else will be to share around the load etc. Worked really bloody well @ Sandown, especially given it is FREE to club members on the day. Great idea from the Club that one was IMO.

• Like 1

From Russell's point last night which I think missed the mins actually... It's the 95dB days that are the only way.

Most days being 75dB is a fair problem for those such people... And in the old penny-drop fashion explains why the 3-track challenge won't work to get those cars along as some of them are 75dB days. :merli:

So needs a bit of a rethink in that regard.

Sandown has been the only 75dB day so far this year. In the past PI had been 75dB with WRX, that's not the case this year however.

haha yeah, and it was the first round of the 3, 75dB and they can't come. One of those just homo-spec type things, stupid restrictions like that ruining the fun... As if a screamer pipe isn't music to peoples ears.

I know Andrew loves to tag people on FB, even in the SAU Thread putting it in super bold "It's a 95dB day". Small things, might help and cant hurt to do it

Just a thought, but if your having trouble getting flaggy's/volunteers, maybe offer a discount on SAU membership if a certain amount of days of helping are reached.

Little like those 'buy 9 coffee's get the 10th one free'. :D

Just a thought, but if your having trouble getting flaggy's/volunteers, maybe offer a discount on SAU membership if a certain amount of days of helping are reached.4

Little like those 'buy 9 coffee's get the 10th one free'. :D

Winton is turnkey so no flaggies required. Broadford only needs a few.

DECA is different, I'd like to keep this discussion about track days tho.

how about bringing sponsors onboard?

penrite might be interested, as they are often rocking up to DECAs.

Edit: having challenges like this 3 track challenge idea would look pretty good for sponsors. chuck their banner on the poster, goes on facebook, on the forum and other car clubs that are invited.