SAU Community

Any Advantage To Runflat Tyres?

Besides the obvious advantage of running flat is there any other advantage to these tyres?

For example does the stiffness of the side-walls help to better control the car (less flex?)

Thanks ..

If you are running drugs across the border and the cops shoot out your tires you keep on driving.

That's a pretty big advantage if you ask me.

• Like 4

They are louder and I think handle worse but can obviously run with them flat. My cousin has them on his BMW and he cant wait to change them

I had them on my car when I got them... I drove from Melbourne to Sydney with them flat... and pumped them up, and they lived for a good year+ after that.

Pretty sure I'm the only person other than drug traffickers who got some use out of them!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

the only advantage is not carrying a spare. Other than that they're expensive, so spend your money on a better quality tyre instead. It's annoying in beemers etc where there's no well for a spare

I don't even bother carrying a spare anymore unless I'm going on a roadtrip. Around town I'll just ring the missus or a mate

Edited by mistermeena

the only advantage is not carrying a spare. Other than that they're expensive, so spend your money on a better quality tyre instead. It's annoying in beemers etc where there's no well for a spare

I don't even bother carrying a spare anymore unless I'm going on a roadtrip. Around town I'll just ring the missus or a mate

Haha .. OK good point!

Run flats are usually more expensive than standard tyres too. Id rather get nice sticky good quality high performance tyres than run flats. Good quality tyres are harder to get punctured anyway, from personal experience :P

Thanks,

I did the research and I think run flats are not for me, especially since I go to the drag strip from time to time.

Their side wall must be very rigid ..

Not for me either.

I am a legend at dodging punctures, in particular those spike strips the cops use.

Punctures.

Not even once.

Haha .. yeah, me too.

Avoiding the spike strips in Need For Speed gave good practice :)

for what its worth ill go against all coments so far i have them on the front of my 33 (just because i was broke and had bmw wheels with the right size) but after having them on the fron with the stock 55 profile i found them to handle a heap better around corners they are so stiff it isnt funny they were a prick to fit and used heaps of weights to ballance (i do all that myself) i wouldnt go back to normals ever.

However if your running bigger wheels then they wouldnt have sidewall flex anyway and itd be a total waste of cash.

• 1 month later...

and from what ive heard you cant put your foot down with runflats and forget a burnout or even kicking the car out apparently you get major wheel shakes when trying to slide although this was the opinion from a friend with them on his prelude

it doesn't go that bad for a fwd hahaha anways its not my car so sucks to him. but serieously hes put some work into it and it used to beat my old r31 rb30de+t although it only run 6psi boost so cant really compare it hahaha