SAU Community

180Sex Trackday Car- The Quest For Gtr Scalps!

• 1 month later...

At the moment I'm ready to petrol bomb it...

Yes, I'm trying to get something done before trackday, but it isn't going much to plan. Hopeful that it will be done.

• Like 1

Did you ever get the dump pipe crack sorted?

Yeah, the local guy down the road put a good 1/2 inch of weld on everything... Lol

It is all good I think, welded some re-enforcing into it as well.

• Like 1

Where the dump pipe bolts to the gearbox, was all cracked and blowing. But got that sorted.

Annnnnd I may have broken a R200.... The 9 inch of the Nissan world :/

So - pre trackday update!

This car started life as a SR20 Auto, so it had a 3.9 ratio diff in it, while all other SR s13s came with a 4.11. Was originally a Open diff, and the previous owner put the Kaaz LSD in it. I was finding that the combination of 3.9 and the largish turbo was hampering me in a few areas of every track that I use. There were sections where it just felt so slow as you waited for it to come onto boost again. I noticed that I was just about one gear lower than all the skylines buddies that I track with. So I made up my mind, and decided to go to a 4.11. That's where the fun began.

So I got a R33 VLSD-A off Pezhead, that uses 4.11 and is a poo diff, so it was going to donate its crown and pinion. I dropped everything off at Award Gearbox and Diff, where Terry, Trish, and Mick were going to look after me. I soon got the call that the 3.9 Diff wasn't coming apart, even after a 20 ton, and then a 40 ton press. Something in the passenger side Stub was bunged up real good! So what they had to do to get it all apart was very time consuming, and had me running round like a mad man!

The Case (the big cast housing bit) was cut in the rear to remove/disassemble the hemisphere as much as possible. Once that was out, a very large drill had to be used to drill through the end of the Stub, to the point where the circlip sits, to free it.

Thankfully after a few phone calls through connections (its not what you know, its who you know ;) ) I had a S13 VLSD from JLM at Rydalmere to use the case from (the shafts and centre being different), and a matching Stub axle from Stuart Wilkins out at Mulgrave. Both life savers!!!

So now I christen it "FrankinDiff".

Its back in the car, and ready to test on Monday at SMSP. Most probably a wet day, but will be fun.

Box of left over Frankin parts

20177421443_f92ae6136d_c.jpg

Can you imagine how hard this would be to drill through??

20798389725_da1faaff44_c.jpg

Ahh, after many phone calls, and much scavenging... its back together!

20610394160_630593d3ee_c.jpg

• Like 1

I have access to a set of michelin wets, but can't really justify the cost of getting them mounted just for this day.

I'll run the street setup of Federal RSRs that have plenty of tread. Should be ok, not fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Belated trackday wrap up.

I had fun :)

Car was good, I softened it out as much as possible and ran the federal RSRs in the wet conditions, never dried enough for slicks. The last session was a possibility, but no time to change them over as sessions were combined. Found the RSRs very pressure fussy. I dropped 2psi out and it turned into a dog, so I had to top them up again. they were happy round 36-37psi.

Car never got off gate pressure boost, which was well enough for the conditions. Struggled for grip in turn 5 which had some arse clapping moments, also round corp hill made for some interesting driving.Brakes were fine - really never got to temp.

Diff was great, so glad I had the Kaaz to make things predictable, and the ratio was an improvement, even in the bad conditions.

Fastest lap was the last lap of the day, the last session was great, having a tussle with Dave for 3rd/4th. Unfortunately he pipped me by something like 0.15 of a sec. So ended up 4th of a field of 37, happy with that.

I'm going to dump Track vids now...

Fastest Lap of the day-

Having a bit of a spin up the hill.

Taking BakeomonoRicer GT car master out for a passenger session. Small brown stain in passengers seat afterwards.

So, what's next?

I've got to get the car ready for the upcoming RTDC day on the North Circuit in October. Nothing much needs doing, but might treat it to an engine flush and some fresh oil. Hoping for dry weather to bolt the slicks back on and hunt some GTRs and Emos. :P

• Like 1