SAU Community

180Sex Trackday Car- The Quest For Gtr Scalps!

Thanks mate!

No specific plans to be honest. Just a few things I'd like to do.

So, after the trackday I went over everything again. Found my gearbox was making a nasty input bearing noise, so took it down to award. After a chat to Terry, he said it was nothing to worry about, and that the noise would probably drive out in a few hundred kms on the road. I suspect the ATF I was using in the box was too thin and not providing enough protection in high G areas, so I refilled it with Redline Shockproof light. Again, I can't complement the gearbox enough. People say they are weak, but this has had so many track days now, and looking back on the vids, a couple of times where it should have gone pop but hasn't! Driving style has a lot to do with it I think.

I've installed a power steering cooler, as I think the PS was getting pretty hot. I grabbed a small PWR auto tranny core from repco and plumbed it in, and ran a duct to it. Pics will be below. Pretty easy to setup, and not very expensive. It's just mounting it and finding the space!

I've got to get the dump pipe off, and it's got a couple of small cracks on one of the supports, they need a bit of weld.

I want to investigate water cooling for the wastegate. It has a tial 44mm on it, with the ports to water cool it. I want to do this mainly for reliability. But I'm not quite sure where to get and return the feeds to.

I also want to make up some deflectors for the front brakes, as they were getting pretty damm hot and glazed the pads. I never lost brakes, but it is clear that they can work better then what they were.

Finally, I might have my hands on some more slicks to try out after the Sydney 500. Should be a set of Yokos I can get my hands on. The Michelins have been epic, and are the Rolls Royce of slicks, but they are getting pretty worn now (have a look at the front right!).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You'll shit in an 11 if you can get it off the line.

Probably, my best 60ft was a 2.0

It's a bit of a pig to get off the line. This is on federal RSR 235/45/17 at 25psi. Doubt I'll take it again, I just don't want to smash the gearbox.

That brake squeal though

Because Racecar! Actually, I was bedding brakes in down the slow down area :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Trackday put on by RTDC at SMSP south circuit. Had unfinished business since I was unable to take my place at the 2014 SAU trackday.

Had a little hiccup where some silicone intercooler pipe decided to burst due to heat and pressure, but fortunately some guys at the track helped me out with leads, and after a short drive, it was back in business without missing a session. Will make up some heat shielding to protect it for the future.

Rear tyres turned out to be pretty diabolical, so I couldn't even get full boost into her. Definitely due a new old set of slicks. In comparison, on full power out of the hairpin on the Brabham circuit day I could get power down pretty easily. On low boost it just burst into wheelspin.

Nevertheless, I got a PB (by 3.5 seconds no less!) of 1:04.1. Have no doubt on some fresher tyres that would drop into the threes.

• Like 2

I heard the dyno ate your next pair of slicks, and the set from the F1GP will be mine... suckah.

Lol, no, someone who wanted to put on a "good show" for the cameras cause his ugly mug is gunna be on the telly ate up my new pair of slicks down to the belts!

I'll have my grubby little hands on something... ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, long time since updates, so away we go!

I noticed the rear pads were getting pretty hot, so I did something I should have done a long time ago. Cut the stone guards off it. I know, exciting right!

On to better shit.

I wanted to get it looking a bit tougher, and I went through a phase of looking for Type X bits for ages, but never bothered getting anything. I liked the look (everyone does compared to the earlier front end!!) and it gives me heaps more air to play with for ducting. Well, I found a OEM front bar, AND an OEM Lower lip for sale round my neck of the woods. Went for a drive, cash changed hands and boom; it was mine :)

Needed a bit of work, had some random holes in it, bit of a ding, and was silver, but had all the metal to go behind it. Well, something to work on!

19211656588_e1f475a24d_z.jpg

So, I went to work - fibreglassed the holes, and a crack in the lower lip. Bogged up the dent, and filled the holes,

19211660610_7fd303de6c_z.jpg

18778660993_248196bc31_z.jpg

More to come in a bit :)

• Like 1

So being an hugely experienced painter (having painted two bars, and a roof in my life...) I decided to do me own work. DIY mechanical is one thing, paint and panel is totally another!

Anyway, Bar and lip went into primer just fine

post-76224-14360071896071_thumb.jpg

post-76224-14360072080472_thumb.jpg

And then all these bits came along to make it look a bit more complete.

19407930321_b158e9f6c4_z.jpg

They're from JSAI Aero, and seem to be of decent quality, and test fitted ok.

Finally, a bit of a sneak peak ;)

18781270854_03afd1968e_z.jpg

Still have a fair bit more paint work to do, so another couple of weekends probably before its time to roll.

Got to get the electronics sorted for the new indicators too. The LEDs need resistors, and the wiring needs a tidy up.

• Like 3