SAU Community

180Sex Trackday Car- The Quest For Gtr Scalps!

29/5/2014

The 180 has seen some upgrades too.

I got the Street rubber switched over to the Nismo LMGT2 rims. I love them. I couldn't care less about flush and stance and that shit, I love them cause they fit the car so well!! They are 17x8 +35, 17x9 +38, made 1996.

After some discussion with another member at a track day, I decided to drop the car off to Road2Race Chassis tuning up at Gosford. I got a call back a little while later with a plan of attack. Old bushes were replaced with nice new stiff ones in the front LCAs, the steering rack bushes were disintegrating so they got uprated items. The swaybar link ends were all serviced, and washers/hardware renewed and assembled correctly... The car was the aligned with purely the track in mind -3.5 degrees camber on the front :)

The car was Corner weighted for my weight- with a 1/2 tank of fuel, it came in at 1197kgs.

10268618_760352777329367_758010080689815

I also got a hold of some Michelin S8D Slicks to give a go at the track (they can be seen above). I put them on the Gram Lights, as they are 24/64r17 all round. Then it was time for the track. I was determined to get into the 60s at Wakefield so I booked in for a Trackschool trackday on the 28th. My previous 3 or 4 trackdays at Wakefield hadn't seen me improve from a 1:10.

Had a ball, learnt heaps from having Boz ride along for a couple of sessions. Even though the timing equipment wasn't working great, it popped into life for the last session of the day.

And I got my goal - a 1:07.6. Pretty bloody stoked with that. I think the Car has the ability to get into the 6 second range how it is now, with better temps, and me doing a perfect lap to my skill level. Couldn't believe I smashed my PB by that much. Using my optimum sector times, it has a 1:06 in it.

Anyway, here is a Pic of the car down there, thanks to Daleo :)

10366324_10152470469077392_6533650256747

• Like 1

I heard that Silver GTR is a slow nugget

Like your snorer

I heard it doesn't even go. :whistling:

#waitingfornicktocallmeajerk

Jerk

Just because I broke it again lol

I'll fix it again

Then it's on lol

Forgot to mention, before the last trackday, I switched over to Brembo calipers on the front, and went to a BM57 master cylinder. Still running A1RM pads, but think I might upgrade to something gold coloured for the future...

So, basically caught up to speed now.

This is what I've been doing over the last couple of months.

After returning from the Wakefield day, I put the car up on stands to go over it and found that there was streaks of black goopy shite down the underside of the car. Quickly found the source as the gearbox bellhousing. I know things were getting a little nasty in there, so it wasn't a surprise really. Decided to take out the gearbox... the morning before PM shift at work :)

10417659_10152507757854669_2445376121128

10361413_10152507757964669_4712344990656

A little damp....

10414577_10152507758069669_8483530425584

10451711_10152507758199669_8313596607700

So I took the box off to Award Gearbox and Diff for the once over. Got a call back a few days later that reverse was rooted (lol), a couple of synchros were on the way out, and some of the bearings were worn/collapsed. Obviously the front seal was pissing oil out too. Apparently its a bit of a knock on effect, when the spigot bearing wears, allows play on the input shaft bearing, which in turn flogs out the front seal. I had a throw out bearing sitting round, so got them to press the new one of those on while they were at it. No Point not doing it while the box was out.

So, got the gearbox back, and installed a new spigot bush (soak them in motor oil for a while before hand, they are porous ;) ), getting the old one out was a heap of fun....lol. Took the clutch off, and cleaned it all up, and chucked the box back it. Bit of a challenge by myself, but after dropping the front subframe a little bit, it slid on in. Filled it with ATF (as per awards recommendation). Hopefully it lasts a few more trackdays of punishment ;)

Council clear up special that carpet.

Washed and rinsed it up. Much nicer to lay on that than the cold concrete floor!

lol i have a persian rug to lay on too!

nice write up mate. loving it.

Enjoying the Micra build as well, mate!

From graveyard to awesome little rocket!

cheers mate! once the bambino has arrived ill get back to it and get it track ready!

fo r now ijust have to live vicariously thru your thread! haha!

Just have a look at the rest of the vids on youtubes.

Might find some action.

Unfortunately last two trips have had really bright overexposed gopro footage. So I haven't uploaded it. Will have to sort it out before smsp.