SAU Community

2014 World Time Attack Discussion

GTR32G

I think people may interpret the "spirit" differently.

I don't think any guy off the street can go and "buy" the Cyber Evo's undertray/splitter combo off the shelf.

i-r7LrBXj-L.jpg

To use your example, look at Tilton's front end. I'm sure you can buy it from them but it's hardly "off the shelf". Same goes for RE Amemiya's RX7, rear mounted cooler, wide body, hektik diffuser.

i-LqwRZLv-X2.jpg

The concept of being able to "buy" it is loose anyway, you can buy anything with enough money. If you mean off the shelf then a lot of former TA cars are also disqualified from running concept/prototype parts or making one off bits to suit the car - though technically you could still buy those parts with enough coin.

I get what you're saying though, we were used to see stock bodied/lightly body modified cars running great tyres and suspension with huge power, but now people are getting into crazy aero, customising suspension and chassis geometry and the like in the search fo seconds and it's not something the average punter can do - which is why they have specific classes to address this.

Just a small correction.. you can BUY everything that the cyber evo and tilton has run in the past. It even has a catalogue number and there are numerous cars in japan and usa running it. In the case of tiltons CURRENT aero, no you cant get it 'off the shelf' yet, but in a year or two it will become a regular catalogue item, like the cyber spec stuff has.

Voltex's catalogue is normally 12-24 months behind the current design..

How do I know... my car runs the cyber spec stuff. ;) Its EASY to get.

But yes, the cars should represent stock cars... they are meant to be TUNER cars... Tilton for example is a catalogue car. You can literally buy that car piece by piece from catalogues provided you have enough $$$. And to me, THAT is the spirit of time attack... looking at your car in your garage, and knowing that one day you could build something like the Ex-cyberevo....

• Like 3

"Has run in the past". As in you cannot buy the current pieces which would be concepts/prototypes.

I'm completely OK with that, if a TA allows businesses to conduct real world testing of prototype components and the good ones are up for sale down the track, awesome. That to me says more about the backers of the car and what they are in TA to achieve.

I'm equally OK with a team/company/tuning shop wanting to showcase available parts or turn up and showcase their sheer skill and expertise in making a car go fast by any means, I think they both have an acceptable place in TA. Just because you don't want to make a part you developed for a car available to everyone, doesn't mean you shouldn't be proud to show off the skill and workmanship that went into it or the car itself.

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

"Has run in the past". As in you cannot buy the current pieces which would be concepts/prototypes.

I'm completely OK with that, if a TA allows businesses to conduct real world testing of prototype components and the good ones are up for sale down the track, awesome. That to me says more about the backers of the car and what they are in TA to achieve.

I'm equally OK with a team/company/tuning shop wanting to showcase available parts or turn up and showcase their sheer skill and expertise in making a car go fast by any means, I think they both have an acceptable place in TA. Just because you don't want to make a part you developed for a car available to everyone, doesn't mean you shouldn't be proud to show off the skill and workmanship that went into it or the car itself.

Whilst I completely agree and respect your view... I begin to consider cars that I personally do not consider in the spirit.. In particular the Scorch Racing S15.

This vehicle USED to be in the spirit, but now has drifted away from that in my eyes...

And while I find the MCA S13 just within the spirit of time attack (as the whole build feels very grass roots compared to Scorch), even with the 'winglets' why is it that the latest carbon R32 feels out side of spirit.

It feels like someone has just come along with a lot of money... Which I don't think time attack is about.

Are you attending this year?

We should have a beer and go harass the teams in pits with questions about what the spirit of TA means to them.

EDIT: Also pics of your car thanks.

Lol he better be attending or ill kick him in the nuts!

Also, which part of his car do you want pics of as they are all in different locations lol

• Like 1

Ill be attending, for sure.
Wont be competing until next year.

Haha, always down for a beer, and a chat... would be interesting to find out what the teams thought of 'spirit of time attack'

Lol he better be attending or ill kick him in the nuts!

Also, which part of his car do you want pics of as they are all in different locations lol

- Kick him in the nuts anyway.

- Film and upload to youtube.

- Profit?

Ill be attending, for sure.

Wont be competing until next year.

Haha, always down for a beer, and a chat... would be interesting to find out what the teams thought of 'spirit of time attack'

See you there, I'll be the one squealing like a fangirl at all the big brakes.

• Like 2

no idea on how to fix it but ill be checking my ikea shit tonight

i did notice that it was about 8mm from the rotor when i stuck them on which is alot closer than your pick

Mine probably was 8mm at one point....

My shock is also out in that picture hence why the angle of the arm doesn't look right.

We both know who put these on so it's no surprise something has finally come back to bite me!

I really do think it's just a spacing issue. New arms and new hats/dogbones will be required post WTAC.

And for the big brake lovers out there. I picked up my new rotors (380x34) from VSport earlier today. My god I need to go smaller, they are fkn heavy, not to mention expensive!

Mine probably was 8mm at one point....

My shock is also out in that picture hence why the angle of the arm doesn't look right.

We both know who put these on so it's no surprise something has finally come back to bite me!

I really do think it's just a spacing issue. New arms and new hats/dogbones will be required post WTAC.

And for the big brake lovers out there. I picked up my new rotors (380x34) from VSport earlier today. My god I need to go smaller, they are fkn heavy, not to mention expensive!

Ahhh the workshop that keeps on giving

Sucks to hear and hope you can get it sorted

its actally a design floor of the ikea arms

the roll centre adjust can be installed 180 degrees out of whack which brings the hub closer inboard

most people realise this and swap them around for extra clearance

its just old mate brad refused to use his brain

i installed my ones so recognised this and rotated them for extra clearance/track

but from the above pick its may need adidtional clearance if its rubbing as above

its actally a design floor of the ikea arms

the roll centre adjust can be installed 180 degrees out of whack which brings the hub closer inboard

most people realise this and swap them around for extra clearance

its just old mate brad refused to use his brain

i installed my ones so recognised this and rotated them for extra clearance/track

but from the above pick its may need adidtional clearance if its rubbing as above

Good to know - thanks.

I'll have to remember this when I buy some new ones!!!!!!

Could have a little problem, like no front right wheel soon..... :angry:

Don't know how this has been missed but I've worn through the nut and arm.

The bolt is showing through on both, only just holding on!!

Found it when taking shocks out for freshen up.

attachicon.gifikeya front arm.jpg

Not sure where to from here just yet. Not like I have a spare arm at home or time to space out the rotor/calipers, machine new hats etc....

Any suggestions ??

Well that sux

post-53650-0-95672300-1413236336_thumb.jpg

Sux is one way to describe it.

On closer inspection we believe it's been ground by hand, not as a result of scrubbing.

There's only the lightest witness mark on the rotor, certainly not the damage you'd expect if it was in contact enough to destroy the arm.

The problem is the clearance to the rotor, obviously when the rotors where installed on my car, instead of correctly spacing them, the person (who shall remain nameless) chose to butcher my arms instead of doing things properly. To hell with my expensive arms or my safety!!

In the words of the workshop who currently has my car:

The issue is the incorrect brake rotor offset. The existing front brake set up is an absolute mess.

· No rotor location to hub, other than on the thread of the studs

· Rim location to hub is only 1 mm

· Calliper not central to rotor

· Calliper body fouling on dog bone

· Calliper mounts in uprights have been drilled (opened up to allow radial alignment of the calliper to the rotor )

· Dog bone to upright threads stripped – calliper was loose.

· Etc etc