SAU Community

Wheel Alignment Question, Car Feeling More Skittish

V28VX37

Hi guys,

My R34 has felt a bit more skittish recently, especially on poor or corrugated surface on off camber slopes. It's a bit hard to describe but it feels less planted than I remember, especially on crappier asphalt. Another sensation is this kind of slight 'sideways skip' on a bend if there's reduced grip due to a pothole.

The only thing that's changed is that I had new tyres put on (exact same brand tyre and size as before, Goodyear Early F1 Asym 2) and they did alignment at the same time. Can someone please have a look at the two alignment sheets below and let me know if there's anything suss about the new one?

Thanks heaps!

2013 alignment done at TruTrack to suit my preference:
15010752158_41745083cb_n.jpg

2014 alignment done at a local shop to whatever their computer threw up by the looks of things:
15010534119_bc60a2b61b_c.jpg

still using hicas?

Great question, yes I am. Didn't think of that - the fact that the skittishness is more pronounced at higher speeds (60 km/h+) might suggest that HICAS is mucking things up?

Also the rest of the suspension is as follows:

• BC BR coilovers with F:6, R:5 springs
  • ARC swaybars front and rear
  • Adjustable camber arms front and rear
  • Adjustable radius rods in front
  • 20mm spacers front and rear with stock R34 GTT wheels

Toe out = car wants to change direction/turn in/tramline, toe in = stable. I'm no expert but having any toe out on the rear looks weird to me, and may well explain what you're seeing. FWIW I run 0 toe front and rear.

I'd call them and ask. front toe looks strange/very uneven and rear toe is definitely not correct, you could not drive it like that.

might be user error, machine not calibrated properly or even no alignment done on the rear

really surprised they gave you a sheet looking like that, it is definitely not correct

• Like 1

I just had my 34 aligned, ill post up the sheet tomorrow so you can compare mate!

But yeah my mates r33 used to jump around and was "skittish" when you hit bumps, sort of as you described.. he deleted hicas and problem went away.

Your original settings look fine. I find you have to take a firm line with wheel alignment people. Explain, if necessary, that you are paying them to do what you want not what they want . I give them the specs and tell them to achieve them. If the figures they gave you are correct that alignment is ridiculous. That amount of toe out at the rear will make you wander all over the place. Your original castor settings for the front would give you straight line stability at high speed - why would you want to reduce that?

I would go back to them with your original chart and tell them that's what you want. if you didn't do that the first time then they have a case for making you pay again ...but their "alignment" is just no good.

• Like 1

Thanks KiwiRS4T. Yes I gave them the sheet first time, I think they just completely ignored it. Shouldn't have allowed them to touch the alignment in the first place, got blinded by the cheap price :/

Rear Toe is very bad !! if that print out is correct you will be getting excessive wear already. The Front camber is out side to side as well and the castor isnt 100% perfect but this may be becuase the adjustment isnt there, although you said you have adjustable camber / radius rods so it should be.

I have a shop in Moorabbin if you would like to come down we can do it correctly. Price ranges between $55 and $110 depending on time spent. 03 9555 6325 City Discount Tyres

Ive had lots of Nissans and my Wheel alignment guy is very knowledgeable about all things Nissan.

If that alignment was cheap it might be best to just take it somewhere that can do it right to save a repeat of a poor effort

Took the car back in a massive rush this morning, results below. Rear toe is better but still nowhere near right, and they've mucked up castor big time. Apparently they can only align to whatever's on the computer, what bs.

This place is in Fawkner, if anyone wants the name I'm happy to PM it through so you can avoid it. I'll take the car back to TruTrack next week so they can do it right.

15182898096_efeaee234c_c.jpg

That alignment is so wrong it's not even funny, if the guy doing the wheel alignment can only set them up to what the computer says then he clearly has no idea what he is doing, I am a mechanic have been for ten years and being doing wheel alignments since I was a second year apprentice and I have seen some shocking alignments from tyre shops

• 6 months later...

Skittish sounds about right for my R34GTR, on a straight line, 60 to 100Klms , on crappy roads mine can get very skittish, follows everything and can be a bit scary when you over take and it happens. Starting to think I was getting skittish, :)

First 4WD I have had and ever felt anything this bad. The alignment was very bad, the steering wheel was about 10 degrees off centre and was much better after the alignment, BUT ?

Around twisty road it is sensational and never a problem ?

Do not know about toe and will look it up so I can understand what could be going on.

The tyres on at the moment are 255 on 10" Advan rims and looked stretched but the recommended size is 265 , so not a lot of difference ?

Having some new 265 tyres on soon and will get another alignment and see how it goes and post the results so I can get some feed back/ help.

Just had a look at toe , if anything I have negative toe the way it will go where the road wants to take the car and you have to be ready for it all the time, takes a bit of the pleasure out of the drive on some roads :(