SAU Community

No More E-flex At Caltex Pendle Hill End Of February 2015

Andrew R33

2. run a tank of 98 every now and then to clean out the fuel system and avoid gummy buildup in your fuel system

How often do you guys fill up a tank of 98 to clean it?

United have very rapidly raised their prices, I have been considering getting my car retuned back onto 98 so I can get some kms per tank again since I'm not seeing prices as low as they used to be at the pump, it's a joke how much they've raised it.

http://www.agmrc.org/renewable_energy/ethanol/ethanol-gasoline-crude-oil-and-corn-prices-are-the-relationships-changing/

This sort of explains it, basically instead of being set separately to oil prices all together as it should be the bulk ethanol prices actually is dependent on crude oil prices.

Making it not as cheap as it should be. Can't find the original article I read saying it's now being set the same way the parity pricing agreement with oil works.

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding of ethanol, I wouldn't bother with a tank of 98 to "stop it gumming" as Ethanol is a solvent, which means it will actually clean out the gummy build up, as well as help clear up carbon build ups etc.

No point whining about it, I heard every excuse for not running e85 in Sydney over the years, it's too far away to fill up, Caltex e85 isn't consistent, not enough servo's to run e85 daily...

If more e85 was being sold they would have put more pumps in, end of story. I used to drive 22k's each way to fill up, in the snow with bare feet.

• Like 1