SAU Community

Nismo/greddy Sump Vs. Tomei/rips Sump ?

So i'm about to buy the built engine form my friend.. the head is ported, forged bottom, made 650whp on a mustang dyno with a PTE6466 ( I believe... or is it 6266? wtv lol!)

Problem is I was going to build mine and the build included a TOMEI pump and RIPS sump ( already bought). So, I spoke with my mechanic and he doesn't like the idea of doing that swap.

Reason being '' I know this engine run perfect and has no problem AS IS, i would hate to swap the nismo pump/greddy extension sump, install the tomei pump and rips sump and found out you have an oil problem or timing issues since we need to undo all that too. I would prefer to do a drop-in affair. ''

Your though ? Car will be ''spirited driving'' and see the drag strip on occasion. ( I wish to do some lapping/time attack, but i think it will never happens honestly..)

Swap the pump!

Seen multiple failures with NISMO pumps (N1). If he cannot match the timing during the swap then get someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

If its out now and you have the pump its a no brainer because when you run a bearing you will be so annoyed.

I think you've answered your own question.

Make sure you fit a very good quality oil pressure gauge, overfill the sump a bit, drive like you stole it and get someone to watch the pressure while you do. If it doesn't blink, you're probably going to be fine.

nismo pump and N1 are different items. The nismo pump has stronger gear than n1. N1 pump is 200 bucks. Nismo pump is 700. Its fine how it is, no need to really change in my opinion. I don't think he would have to overfill the sump since he has the sump extension already on there. That is the point of the extension, more oil.

N1 pump = 15010-24U01

Nismo pump = 15010-RR580

Edited by JTCC

Reason being '' I know this engine run perfect and has no problem AS IS, i would hate to swap the nismo pump/greddy extension sump, install the tomei pump and rips sump and found out you have an oil problem or timing issues since we need to undo all that too. I would prefer to do a drop-in affair. ''

Yep just keep going with what you have I reckon. This build feels like it's been about 10 years in the making, no point changing route now when I'm sure you've bought most of what you need?

What are the issues with N1 pumps? do they tend to smash the gears like the factory pumps? I'm about to use one on a new engine and I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to use some billet gears for it

What are the issues with N1 pumps? do they tend to smash the gears like the factory pumps? I'm about to use one on a new engine and I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to use some billet gears for it

I don't know what the issues are. There are stories that there were a bunch of knock offs at one time. My Rb30 has an N1 pump - no issues after about 30,000km including track but my rev limit is 7000 and I don't do do-nuts or any limiter bashing. A local engine builder who does a lot of race engines won't use them so I guess he has had a few failures but I don't know the details.

Guys, I'm talking about the true Nismo pump ( if it was a N1, i would've call it a N1 pump) its the Nismo selling close to 1000$. I just thought the 3piece of the tomei was a more solid design and flow a bit more oil so i went ahead and dropped the coin on it.

Rips vs the greddy= about the same amount of oil extra cc, but the rips sit higher so less chance of rubbing since I drive in the city a lot.

But then, why change a winning formula right ? lol

Original N1 pumps are fine. They're not a lot higher rated than normal RB pumps. There was a period of time, well after the death of the RB in production, that the new N1 pumps available appeared to suffer a lot of failures, thus giving the whole lot a bad name.

throw that n1 junk in the bin

Agreed I smashed my pump to peices and the motor only had 8000kms on it, if you want to burn money then use the n1, if you want a good pump use a billet pump

The gears are sintered and they are more prone to breaking. have a search

And the thickness of the ring gear in an N1 pump is less due to the extra tooth compared to a standard pump IIRC.

.....a genuine Nissan N1 pump ruined my first motor when the gears broke, I replaced it with a Nismo pump and had no issues with it, now have a Nitto pump on my RB30, and so far so good :)