SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Which is offset by capital appreciation

But it has to appreciate to double its original value to cover the interest assuming you are just paying the minimum monthly with principal and interest.

9 minutes ago, TiTAN said:

But it has to appreciate to double its original value to cover the interest assuming you are just paying the minimum monthly with principal and interest.

As in over the 25/30 year loan period? historically haven't they been doubling every 10 years anyway?

You can only double every 10 years for so long until it's completely unaffordable for 90% of the market.

If all the places that are currently asking 1 million are suddenly asking 2 million you are looking at 10k a month for the repayments and a 200k deposit.

1 hour ago, TiTAN said:

You can only double every 10 years for so long until it's completely unaffordable for 90% of the market.

If all the places that are currently asking 1 million are suddenly asking 2 million you are looking at 10k a month for the repayments and a 200k deposit.

I thought this was VWL, 200k is pocket money m8 

Seriously though, yeah I see what you're saying has to stop somewhere but we keep hearing that for how long now? Do people need to wait 10? 20? 30 years for this crash then another 5 for it to become affordable to them? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UNR33L said:

Why not just invest in property so you make some money 

dezz likes f**king over other shareholders by investing his curse in their stock

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiTAN said:

The 10% of the market who could afford in that scenario are pretty much the ones who have been driving it up in the first place. They have disproportionately expansive wealth compared to the rest. I agree it will slow down eventually, but for other variables, like a downtrend in foreign investment. I think majority market affordability will have little to do with it, without government intervention.

Also the more Melbourne sprawls, the more inner suburban properties will push up by virtue of comparison. I think it's gonna take a recession or a serious drop off in the rentals market to stop this train.

As for rentals, there's good reasons to rent, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's financially better over the long term than paying a mortgage, unless your interest is more than a month's rent for the same kind of place (unlikely). You might waste a lot of money on interest but you end up with an asset or at least a redeemable share in an asset.

Disclaimer: everyone's situation is different. Consult your product disclosure statement. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.