SAU Community

K-less's 1996 R33 Skyline R33 Gts25t Sii

3 minutes ago, Lithium said:

Most Thursday nights I have a low key group of car mates who meet up and yarn in Lower Hutt, there are 2/3 Skylines as regulars but its really just across the board (@Looney_Head included) - welcome to pop down sometime if you want.  PM me if you are interested and I can let you know details, watching the weather for tomorrow night as it looks borderline atm haha

Yeah im definitely keen, if the weathers nice and all for sure. I've lost track of where everyone goes, last time I went out would probably have been Hard Park this year.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
15 hours ago, K-LESS said:

Small Updates, Idle motor broke so have converted to drive by wire.

Haha that's a pretty sweet way of fixing that issue, cool to see it's still trucking along! I thought I may have seen you around recently.

Thursday night catch ups are still plodding along btw, if you're ever around 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Watermouse said:

Nice switch over mate,

Do you mind telling us what dbw parts or kit u got please?

cheers, Ian

Hey Watermouse,

So didn't use a kit of any kind, but we used a bosch accelerator pedal and a 74mm bosch electronic throttle body. A bracket had to be made up to fit the pedal along with an adaptor so the throttle body could be bolted to the intake manifold / plenum.

Edited by K-LESS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lithium said:

Haha that's a pretty sweet way of fixing that issue, cool to see it's still trucking along! I thought I may have seen you around recently.

Thursday night catch ups are still plodding along btw, if you're ever around 

Hey Lithium,

Good to hear from you, hope all is well, and that's good to know, I'll try coming along to catch for one in the near future. And yeah, apparently going down this route unlocks a whole lot of other possibilities so I thought it might be the go.

1 hour ago, PranK said:

That looks very cool.

Thanks PranK, I'm honestly amazed at how one much different the car feels and drives due to the modern technology upgrade.

7 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Wish you did it sooner aye? How good is the idle control now? Not to mention the superior throttle control.

Hey Dose Pipe Sutututu,

I can say yup I wish I had too, I probably would have done it when I first started putting the car back together had I known such options were possible or available. But yeah the car just feels better all around and drives so much better now too. Sooo good!

I wonder if it is because dbw lets car manufacturers do all kinds of shenanigans with the throttle input. Which then makes it feel like a computer is in control and not the driver. I think at least on economy shitboxes throttle inputs are modulated for maximum fuel efficiency. Loses all pedal feel and feedback.

I presume neither of you have any of that nonsense on the Skyline :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

I wonder if it is because dbw lets car manufacturers do all kinds of shenanigans with the throttle input. Which then makes it feel like a computer is in control and not the driver. I think at least on economy shitboxes throttle inputs are modulated for maximum fuel efficiency. Loses all pedal feel and feedback.

Yeah I'd agree with this. I have a throttle controller in the 335 and I've temporarily put it in the X5 and 330i and its pretty interesting how it can change things. That said, the controller doesn't remove BMW's "Driver adaptations" which is their way of manipulating the throttle based on what they "think" you want. 

I wonder if there is a DBW -> Cable conversion kit. 🤔

EDIT: I made the adaptations sound shit. They're absolutely not and BMW does a good job here, its just sometimes I'd like a bit more "direct" control. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

AC idle? no worries
AC idle & big brap cams? no worries

no hunting or stalling at the lights, etc. cold starts, warm starts, etc. so good!

I don't get the whole dBw iS sLOw brigade, they clearly don't know anything!

Honestly, it's so much better like I have no issues with any of the above. Dare I say it I did go to a smaller throttle body as well, so weather its one or the other or a combination of both I couldn't say. But I can say I think it definitely feels much better and drives much better, but yeah, I'd say calibration / setting up and tuning it properly plays a big part too. The guys who done this for me have done a great job. I can honestly say at this point it is much better that it previously was with the 80mm throttle body and cable throttle. As for people saying its slow, I'm guessing it's the kind of people who think they can do things better and faster than a computer maybe lol.

53 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

Hey soviet_merlin,

Yeah I can imagine that stock cars that come with dbw from the factory are probably much different. I myself have probably driven rental cars and such with that technology. However, as you say the computers are setup much differently, I imagine. Dare I say the guys who set mine up for me spent some time doing some calibration and tuning etc. But they definetly have done a good job and I can honestly say that my DBW setup feels much better than the previous 80mm Throttle Body Cable setup.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PranK said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. I have a throttle controller in the 335 and I've temporarily put it in the X5 and 330i and its pretty interesting how it can change things. That said, the controller doesn't remove BMW's "Driver adaptations" which is their way of manipulating the throttle based on what they "think" you want. 

I wonder if there is a DBW -> Cable conversion kit. 🤔

EDIT: I made the adaptations sound shit. They're absolutely not and BMW does a good job here, its just sometimes I'd like a bit more "direct" control. 

Interesting, so you have a separate throttle controller as opposed to making changes on the ECU? I'm guessing BMW don't let you tinker with this stuff?

29 minutes ago, K-LESS said:

Interesting, so you have a separate throttle controller as opposed to making changes on the ECU? I'm guessing BMW don't let you tinker with this stuff?

'Controller' is probably a little too liberal. It alters your inputs to fool the throttle. It does enough for me, but yeah there are loads of aftermarket electronics out there. I have an MHD tune at the moment and it has some throttle stuff in there too and I'll investigate it eventually.

• Like 1

Just now, PranK said:

'Controller' is probably a little too liberal. It alters your inputs to fool the throttle. It does enough for me, but yeah there are loads of aftermarket electronics out there. I have an MHD tune at the moment and it has some throttle stuff in there too and I'll investigate it eventually.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it's almost like a piggy back or a Apexi SAFC but it's for your Throttle and sits between that and the ECU?