SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

45 minutes ago, Silverhks said:

Amen!

Having just spent ~500 US on AN house and fittings I feel your pain. I take solace in the hope that I won't have to replace this stuff again

I wish I listened to my wife at times when she told me to sell up the shit box and all the crap around the house and treat myself to a E90 335i BMW, but I said nah I'll finish off this project.

LOL

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Called in "sick" then went to MSCN to get fittings, hard lines for the turbo setup.

Left wondering why I didn't go to work instead lol.20190320_131440.thumb.jpg.04468a53e276eab286919bba1ba799e4.jpg

I keep saying it, AN fittings etc are a giant f**king rip off.

I have been getting raceworks shit from cartel as its been on special all for a while. Pretty much running teflon braided everything has set me back over $1300 which I know compared to others isn't too much but seriously; I am certain they all come from the same Taiwanese factory just a different name printed on them.

Can I ask why hard lines? Curious to see what you got planned.

13 minutes ago, Vodkashotx said:

Can I ask why hard lines? Curious to see what you got planned

Just makes it a bit neater and nothing will touch, rub on the manifold. Less things to catch on fire I suppose lol.

I'll take photos, Don't worry :)

8 hours ago, Vodkashotx said:

I keep saying it, AN fittings etc are a giant f**king rip off.

I have been getting raceworks shit from cartel as its been on special all for a while. Pretty much running teflon braided everything has set me back over $1300 which I know compared to others isn't too much but seriously; I am certain they all come from the same Taiwanese factory just a different name printed on them.

Can I ask why hard lines? Curious to see what you got planned.

Couldn't be more wrong. When you work at a performance shop and see some of the stuff that comes through the door its terrifying what some people consider 'suitable'. 90% of plumbing systems that the customer or other shops that didn't use speedflow on get ripped out and replaced with speedflow, now the customer has paid twice, once for the 'cheap' fittings and again for the correct things + labour to replace it all. Then once it's all in you never have to replace or worry about it ever again as it just doesn't degrade (as long as you aren't running methanol etc)

Speedflow is made in NSW as well, not overseas.

Why did you use teflon braided stuff on everything? 100/120 series is cheaper easier to work with and just as suitable if not more. Could have saved a decent amount on that.

• Like 1

Good progress bro!!!

Nothing wrong with aeroflow/raceworks/proflo if you don't want to use speedflow. The 2 buck eBay fittings are a waste of postage.

The hardlines are a good idea. Shit gets crowded on the Hot side very quick once the dump and gate go on.

23 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Couldn't be more wrong. When you work at a performance shop and see some of the stuff that comes through the door its terrifying what some people consider 'suitable'. 90% of plumbing systems that the customer or other shops that didn't use speedflow on get ripped out and replaced with speedflow, now the customer has paid twice, once for the 'cheap' fittings and again for the correct things + labour to replace it all. Then once it's all in you never have to replace or worry about it ever again as it just doesn't degrade (as long as you aren't running methanol etc)

Speedflow is made in NSW as well, not overseas.

Why did you use teflon braided stuff on everything? 100/120 series is cheaper easier to work with and just as suitable if not more. Could have saved a decent amount on that.

That's a big claim that 90% of people who don't buy one brand have to replace them. 100% of the cars (yes, 2) I've plumbed with AN fittings (we used phenix, http://www.phenixindustries.com.au/, as they were much better priced than speedflow) have been reliable and leak free in race use.

From what I can see the biggest issue with these fittings is likely to be assembly error, not failure or design of the original part.

I think moreso the consensus is to use known names, not dim sum yumcha eBay special fittings.

I've used Raceworks fittings and even their surge tank (that 180SX with the GTX3071 I tuned) on a car I've built, as well as Aeroflow on many other shit box Silvias and they've been great. I did have mainly Aeroflow fittings on this shit box in the past however decided to go all Speedflow (just because), spent heaps on everything else so might as well top it off with expensive fittings.

Moral of the story, if you want a reliable fast car, buy a modern fast reliable fast car instead of buying a shit box and building it to be fast.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 6:51 AM, Duncan said:

That's a big claim that 90% of people who don't buy one brand have to replace them. 100% of the cars (yes, 2) I've plumbed with AN fittings (we used phenix, http://www.phenixindustries.com.au/, as they were much better priced than speedflow) have been reliable and leak free in race use.

From what I can see the biggest issue with these fittings is likely to be assembly error, not failure or design of the original part.

Half the time it is assembly error by other 'workshops' half the time its failures of fittings and lines (fuel permeating through the hose and running underneath the sheathing, check valves not working etc etc). Speedflow fittings just work. Every time you assemble them they get put on the car and never have to come back off.

The types of cars getting worked on are serious street cars and rally cars. Even in a street car package there would be 30-40 fittings for a full turbo kit and fuel system package with lift pump and 2x surge pumps. Even if we used (lets say aeroflow) and paid 3/4 the price of speedflow, if 2 fittings or a hose leaked (especially something in the turbo plumbing or under the intake manifold) then any price savings you had initially is now gone in purchasing new fittings and paying to have the old one removed and replaced.

If you are on a budget, don't mind the possibility of having to do things twice and don't value your own time then using something else would be fine. But as a business you would never use anything else.

And yes, even if you buy speedflow you can still assemble it wrong and have it not work.

• 2 weeks later...

No progress, but the Tiguan managed 8.3L/100km from our trip back from Jervis Bay.

4x adults, full trunk of luggage and left over groceries, grog, etc.

20190407_131715.thumb.jpg.d8e12c44f201fdc58028de18d7c66131.jpg

Turns out speeding ends up using more fuel, on the way there car managed to do 8.5L/100km however I drove at 120km/h all the way there. Drive back home was mainly between 100-110km/h.

• Like 2

I cringed a little at your MSCN invoice. Don't get me wrong, they are great when you need something specific but holy hell they are expensive for everything you need. Guess it's worth it for quality though...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingtube69 said:

I cringed a little at your MSCN invoice. Don't get me wrong, they are great when you need something specific but holy hell they are expensive for everything you need. Guess it's worth it for quality though...

Buying other reputable brands doesnt work out much cheaper. The proper eBay 5 buck fittings aren't worth pissing on. Waste of time.

• Like 1

And I'm done! Wasted about 0.5m of hard lines stuffing up the angles. Tried to get it as one piece but it was a bit too hard so I added a joiner/union on the way up.

Time to trim the exhaust manifold studs, tighten up the fittings, mount everything up and ready for fab work ?

20190413_100920.thumb.jpg.deef1c10eda9bdce3e34237b89feb78c.jpg

20190413_100824.thumb.jpg.a75c0f770241c512eab9251ab39ff154.jpg

• Like 5

Nice job, pipe bending is tricky, I use to do a bit of it years ago instrument fitting, I had swaglok fittings on all my stuff.

Looking forward to start up