SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

i recently threw out the 45 degree frame i had for my old 12 panel system you could of had :(
Soume guy gave me $200 buck for it , was supposed to come pick it up about 2 years ago and never did lol
so it went in the metal recycling bin.

• Sad 1

On 09/07/2021 at 1:21 PM, ActionDan said:

Hmm would I get much for some aluminium RHS??? 

nar i called the local metal recycler and they said unless i have like 50 plus kg they were not interested.

so put it on facebook market place lol

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 12:44 PM, ActionDan said:

You can DIY a tilt adjustment easily enough.

I have a big set of adjustable aluminium legs sitting in my shed doing nothing, kept them for the materials alone. 

I didn't need them as my roof pitch is bang on for my locale. 

Also these babies arrived. 

No description available.

party time, I want to see your graphs lol

On 09/07/2021 at 9:30 PM, Ben C34 said:

Area under the curve f**kers

Not in our experience. In our current place we need to optimise for morning sun in winter (heater) and afternoon (AC) in summer. Pretty much all year round in the middle of the day to mid afternoon the battery is full and we are getting 5c to export which is a waste of time

• Like 1

Yep batteries change desired usage and output patterns a bit.

My china inverter (MPP) on the off grid has stopped giving me output from both MPPTs, only showing one currently (global issue with them it seems on the cloud platform) so charts aren't as helpful as it only shows 1 array. 

I can get the days total output off the inverter though so I expect it to go from like 6kwh on a nice sunny day to maybe 8-9 hopefully.

The on grid system is only giving me like 7-8 on a good day before the shade kills it. I hope to get another couple kWh from that after I remove the tree.

All my stuff is mostly north - west facing so it all suffers in winter here being up on the hill where the sun is gone very early.

Summer for the on grid is like 20-24 before shade kills it, ok for a 7-8yr old system,l I think.

Off grid will do better but I haven't had it through summer yet.

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started fitting optimisers, 3 down, 15 to go. Fiddly job to do neatly and keep cables up and out of the way/weather/off roof etc. Would be easier if being done before panels were fitting. 

Connected 1 and turned everything back on to make sure it worked first. 

Nothing blew up, didn't die. 

Stay tuned. 

• Like 2

On 19/07/2021 at 1:13 PM, ActionDan said:

Started fitting optimisers, 3 down, 15 to go. Fiddly job to do neatly and keep cables up and out of the way/weather/off roof etc. Would be easier if being done before panels were fitting. 

Connected 1 and turned everything back on to make sure it worked first. 

Nothing blew up, didn't die. 

Stay tuned. 

Should be interesting to see the yield increase!

My mate recently got a solar system also installed at his place, albeit on two different roof sections with different pitches. His panels however do face North. You would think because of this he would yield less compared to a North facing house with a flat roof (all panels get East/West sun all day), but everyday he is consistently getting 5kWh more than I am.  Geographically we are about 10km apart and his house is west facing.

We both have 17x 390W JA Solar panels, but he is running a Fronius 5kW inverter where as I'm running a GoodWe one.

See how we go, I just put 4 more in, leaving 2 to go on that array and the 9 still to go on the other array.

Given my shading I am expecting a gain but do not have good graphical data to compare only my anecdotal monitoring.

That said, the panels will be happier as the bypass diodes won't be getting worked so hard given the shading I get in winter months.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...