SAU Community

Silicone joiner/reducer P/N for top intake pipe to elbow (RB25DET Neo)

V28VX37

Quick question, does anyone know the part number or exact sizing of the silicone joiner/reducer that connects the intercooler return pipe to the elbow that runs into the plenum?

I've got a boost leak and found a nice gaping hole on the underside of the joiner so I'm looking for a replacement but it's an odd size:

• Cooler return pipe OD 60.2mm
  • Elbow OD 66mm
  • Length 105mm approx.

The closest I can find on eBay is:

• 2.35" (60mm) to 2.5" (63mm) OR
  • 2.35" (60mm) to 2.75" (70mm)

I'm not sure if the 2.5" will stretch enough, and whether the 2.75" will seal properly?

Here's a photo off Wikipedia, the part I'm after is the black rubber joiner right in the middle of the photo:  

NEO_RB25DET_R34.jpg

Thanks guys!

Hahahahahahhahaha.

I only laugh because holy shit that one was a nightmare to fit on. Making one stretch over it was pretty damn hard if you use a decent joiner. I distinctly recall Scottynm35 and myself trying for quite some time with Lubricant and a heat gun and swearing to never, ever, ever, ever remove it for any reason. It'll need to be the 2.5 though, because the 2.75 won't seal on the smaller of the two in any way that will leave you thinking "this is an optimal solution"

I said to myself that buying another OEM joiner is the way to go. Think from memory they were/are about ~$50. Figured if it lasted 20 years it can last 20 more.

• Like 1

Hahahahahahhahaha.
I only laugh because holy shit that one was a nightmare to fit on. Making one stretch over it was pretty damn hard if you use a decent joiner. I distinctly recall Scottynm35 and myself trying for quite some time with Lubricant and a heat gun and swearing to never, ever, ever, ever remove it for any reason. It'll need to be the 2.5 though, because the 2.75 won't seal on the smaller of the two in any way that will leave you thinking "this is an optimal solution"

I said to myself that buying another OEM joiner is the way to go. Think from memory they were/are about ~$50. Figured if it lasted 20 years it can last 20 more.

Ooo I'm really looking forward to this now!

Would the 2.75in (70mm) seal on the larger 66mm pipe though? One of the reducers is 60mm to 70mm.

Actually scratch that, I just got confirmation that the reducer is only 75mm long so it won't work anyway, bummer.

Kudos do one of the rubbers for the crossover pipe but I think it's the throttle body one - for $88!

I think I'll just go to Autobahn and get some basic 2.5" silicone and lots of lube...

Unless someone knows any wreckers I could try in Melb?

I still have my stock one....

Kudos do have the correct joiner as that is who I called about it... the 2.5 will work, but yeah it was offensively difficult at the time. I never tried with a reducer (didnt get that far?) as none of them were of a size that I needed, I couldn't find a 70 to 60, as everything was imperial and was a few mm off either end in presumably every way. Mind you I didn't try a joiner, we just had a 2.75 and a 2.5 handy, and one would work on one side, and one wouldn't work on the other side etc.

We just found the downside of joiners that resist a lot of initial pressure really really don't like stretching!

• Like 1

Ok did some more homework on this.

Kudos do have the OEM part but it's on back order ex Japan. They quoted me $110+freight for 14460-AA101, however looking at it now I'm pretty sure the correct part is 14463-AA101 'HOSE, AIR INLET': http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist.php?maker=nissan&type=81&fig=144C&part=14463AA101&page=3

In the meantime I got some cheap 2.5" silicone hose off Autobarn, see how it goes...

Also it looks like there is in fact an older thread about this very issue, 2.5" is meant to work though not optimal: https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/410659-silicone-reducerjoiner-size-rb25det/

You will likely pull this off fairly often to work on car though so if its a PITA to get on, it will be alot. Mine is from a kit, not by samco but similar who i cant recall right now. Pretty cheap for a kit on ebay?

1 hour ago, hardsteppa said:

You will likely pull this off fairly often to work on car though so if its a PITA to get on, it will be alot. Mine is from a kit, not by samco but similar who i cant recall right now. Pretty cheap for a kit on ebay?

I agree, would be good to have a good fit - do you have a link to the kit you're thinking? I've done a zillion searches on eBay but found nothing that is exactly right.

1 hour ago, blah_blah said:

Can't you just use a 2.75 to 2.5 inch straight reducer?

Thats what i did, just got it from VPW and use good norma seal constant tension hose clamps

I could but I though that would be 3-4 mm loose at both ends? Is yours a Neo?

Also I checked with VPW and all their reducers below 3" are only 75mm long, the current rubber is 105mm so it'd be 30mm shorter. Whether that matters I'm not 100% sure.

I may have a spare 2nd hand genuine 1 of these in my box of rb spares in the shed . I'll have a look tomorrow. If I do, it's yours for free. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Edit. Is neo and non neo same size? Anyone know?

9 minutes ago, hardsteppa said:

yeah this sort of thing negro, sure I have seen them cheaper though in recent times and nothing wrong with a lot of chinese hoses

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SFS-Silicone-Breather-Hose-Kit-to-fit-Nissan-Skyline-R33-GTS-RB25DET-BLUE-/272100598956

Ah I see, totally. If was more patient I'd order just the reducer from China, they do pretty much any size.

Just now, admS15 said:

I may have a spare 2nd hand genuine 1 of these in my box of rb spares in the shed . I'll have a look tomorrow. If I do, it's yours for free. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Awesome thanks man!

44 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Edit. Is neo and non neo same size? Anyone know?

Kudos reckons Neo part is unique but I couldn't find the R33 part number. If the rubber tapers slightly (different ID at each end) it's likely the same or very similar.

Now, I'd like meet the Nissan engineer who thought it'd be a good idea to mix different pipe diameters across the intake system?! 

1 hour ago, V28VX37 said:

Kudos reckons Neo part is unique but I couldn't find the R33 part number. If the rubber tapers slightly (different ID at each end) it's likely the same or very similar.

Now, I'd like meet the Nissan engineer who thought it'd be a good idea to mix different pipe diameters across the intake system?! 

Same ID.....different material (ie, one is steel pipe and the other is cast alloy) = different OD.  Not a problem when you can just get Nippon rubber factory to make the whotsit you need to join them.  Cars were only meant to last until the end of the warranty period.  Nissan engineers did not expect us to still be driving these things 20+ years later.

• Like 1

You're in luck. I found it. It measures at 61-62mm on 1 side and 66-67mm on the other. It's in decent nick, should last a few years at least. PM me to arrange pick up or post[emoji106]DSC_0186.jpeg

Wow nice! Thanks heaps, will pm shortly!