SAU Community

PON CAMS V CAMTECH 272

PON CAMS V CAMTECH 272

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with either or link or shedding some light on my next modification. I am looking at purchasing Cams for my R34 GTT already pushing 330RWKW, can any one let me know what the cons and pros are going with Tomei drop ins 260 as oppose to the Camtech 272. My 34 has the following modifications:

1000cc Bosch Injectors

- Walbro 460 Fuel Pump

- Full Turbo Back Exhaust 3 inch

- Custom Dump pipe

- Garret 3076 Turbocharger

- Power FC ECU tuned on E85 ( UniGroup Tune)

- Greddy Electronic Boost Controller

- Tomei Head Gasket

- Screamer pipe

Would be good to get some ideas on what would be best for my setup and why as well as knowing which one would sound better on idle :P which is just a bonus.

Thanks peeps.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cesar34 said:

sounds nice ! but wouldn't that also be due to your side pipes that is quite loud ?  @bcozican

Sidepipe makes it louder and crisp but idle it idle if your going to run a muffler etc its always going to be toned down

Ive run 500-550 rwhp on rb25s with poncams both with and without springs. Mose well go springs if you can

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bcozican said:

Sidepipe makes it louder and crisp but idle it idle if your going to run a muffler etc its always going to be toned down

Ive run 500-550 rwhp on rb25s with poncams both with and without springs. Mose well go springs if you can

what did you find the difference to be from stock cams to poncams ? and whats the most 'legal' looking way to get them to sound more aggressive, simply removing the muffler ? 

thanks heaps

to be honest Ive never had stock cams always had poncams straight off ...  but if you look at all the results poncams on average increase your torque a bit and mid / top power a bit and move the curve to the right just a bit

I say bit ... because every car engine is a little different

Sorry don't know how to best do it 'legally' as Ive always had straight through pipes but Id say taking your muffler off is one of the least legal ways. By my thinking maybe just rotational Idle ... but it will just be dampened a bit compared to not running a muffler. Still get lumpy etc but nothing is actually illegal especially if  you still come under the legal DB reading.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:45 AM, bcozican said:

to be honest Ive never had stock cams always had poncams straight off ...  but if you look at all the results poncams on average increase your torque a bit and mid / top power a bit and move the curve to the right just a bit

I say bit ... because every car engine is a little different

Sorry don't know how to best do it 'legally' as Ive always had straight through pipes but Id say taking your muffler off is one of the least legal ways. By my thinking maybe just rotational Idle ... but it will just be dampened a bit compared to not running a muffler. Still get lumpy etc but nothing is actually illegal especially if  you still come under the legal DB reading.

one of the end goals as well is trying to figure out ways these GTT skylines can beat your 280kw Evos, before i make a new thread any sort of suggestions ? i use to have an Evo and got the right offer for it so i chose to give a skyline a go but seems to struggle to beat 300kw Evos ?

thanks @bcozican

Beat them at what ?? street, track, drags ?

Not really comparing apples with apples but your GTT is more than capable or at least very close to it and it all depends on budget. I don't have no ever driven a 4wd / awd car but from reading bang for your buck they are hard to beat so hazard a guess you'll have to spend 'more' on the gtt to be the same to compensate for 1) new tech and 2) rwd vs awd

There are a number of threads in the motorsport section and projects and builds section where specifically gtt's but other rwd skylines have been developed to the point where they'd match evo's and the like so take what you can from those also.

You have enough power so it comes down to :

Driver skills / seat time

Brakes

Suspension

Tyres

Weight

Work out your budget and get the 'best' you can get of each of those as you go and it'll go a long way to where you want to be

31 minutes ago, bcozican said:

Beat them at what ?? street, track, drags ?

Not really comparing apples with apples but your GTT is more than capable or at least very close to it and it all depends on budget. I don't have no ever driven a 4wd / awd car but from reading bang for your buck they are hard to beat so hazard a guess you'll have to spend 'more' on the gtt to be the same to compensate for 1) new tech and 2) rwd vs awd

There are a number of threads in the motorsport section and projects and builds section where specifically gtt's but other rwd skylines have been developed to the point where they'd match evo's and the like so take what you can from those also.

You have enough power so it comes down to :

Driver skills / seat time

Brakes

Suspension

Tyres

Weight

Work out your budget and get the 'best' you can get of each of those as you go and it'll go a long way to where you want to be

awesome man, looking more in the roll racing rather then track, driving an Evo before i definitely know that around a track they have the upper hand ! but down the straights they are still quite competitive @bcozican

Also quite competitive around corners. Take a look at john richardsons r33 gtst. That thing shows up more fancied machinery regularly including lots of evos. Car set up and driving skill goes a long way.

• Like 1