SAU Community

Mercedes Electric Turbo

Electric Turbo

Interested to see this:

The use of a 48V system also allows engineers to fit on an electric auxiliary turbocharger (eZV)  that could spin up to 70,000rpm within 0.3 seconds to deliver an immediate throttle response and zero lag. 

Full article:  https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/next-gen-mercedes-engines-bring-48v-electrics-and-the-return-of-the-straight-six-46903?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=msn-australia&utm_campaign=taboola_alwayson_desktop

and how long will it be before we start tearing out our exhaust gas energy turbines and installing a 48v electric one?  It could be a game changer.

I remember reading something about an Audi (that's already in production) using a one - but to spool up a conventional large turbo; I think it's a great idea and good approach to use both technologies together until electric just takes over replacing the entire power plant.

This will be a version of the formula 1 hybrid technology. Turbo is still a turbo but uses an electric motor to assist. And it sounds like effectively a generator/motor harvesting electricity and deploying it when required

If you havent already, check out formula 1's V6 hybrid engines

I'm actually working on an engine equipped with one. The engine is still being installed in the engine bench as of now. We won't test the electric turbocharger before long.

These turbos need to be cooled via the engine coolant or via a low temperature circuit, and with the power cables, the plumbing etc... and the fact that they're small unit for now only aimed at spooling small turbo they're still very far from being properly sized for our kind of engine/usage.

But some manufacturers are working on 12v variant of these babies, you just need big ass wires to feed them. And we still need a control unit or an aftermarket ECU which can control them, an heavy battery to take the shot when the turbo kicks in and a powerful alternator.

Way too much modifications for now to be worthwhile but 10 years from now who knows ?

• Like 2

I got 3.8psi out of a 12V system running on a RB25det engine with a electric turbo that I designed for a Chinese company in 2011. There are way better motors today I think I can get it to make around 7psi if I'm doing it all over again this year. Boost was instant spinning up a T04Z compressor once activated. I guess it can be attached to a turbine shaft to make it hybrid. Just don't know whats the reliability of the electric motor on long run.  

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:08 AM, hypergear said:

I got 3.8psi out of a 12V system running on a RB25det engine with a electric turbo that I designed for a Chinese company in 2011. There are way better motors today I think I can get it to make around 7psi if I'm doing it all over again this year. Boost was instant spinning up a T04Z compressor once activated. I guess it can be attached to a turbine shaft to make it hybrid. Just don't know whats the reliability of the electric motor on long run.  

super keen to know how you go with the next round of testing....  hope you test it on the torque black hole- rb20det :-)

Cheers

J.