SAU Community

GTR intake plenum on RB25

SK: Offended - No, Tired of the bickering - Yes

Im not the only one who finds the info you guys provide very helpful but really, this arguing is pointless. Everyone is allowed their own opinion. Clearly some of the people here need to respect that others might share a different opinion to their own and accept it rather than taking a shot at them.

Nick :P

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*mod hat on* Keep it clean guys... *mod hat off*
Bloomin'eck, I hope that's not directed at me, I particularly respect SK's opinion, and have sought him out in the past as a mentor............
SK,

I don't doubt for a second that the GReddy Plenum, in either RB25 or RB26 applications, only comes into it's own after a certain level of airflow is required, nor do I doubt that the OEM designs are good ones, but I'd still love to see the figures so as to appreciate just how futile the whole argument really is.

Like BBQ though, I'd like to know your POV regards the RB26 plenum on an RB25.......

So SK, whadaya reckon ?

SK invented average power? What a tosser

If you are going to quote me, please do it accurately, I said

introduced that terminology to this forum
. I never would say I INVENTED it, simply because I didn't.
Sk, Maybe you should get your facts right I did the Greddy plenum before I had a Wolf or had Steve as a tuner. And it was in fact the only mod I made at that time, so I can speak from my experience. If you don't want to believe it then fine

Firstly let me suggest you go back and review your own posts. Next, are you really saying now that you put the Greddy plenum on and your

midrange power has dramatically increased
without retuning it? You didn't touch the fuel or ignition tune?

My argument is simply this, what if you had spent the $1500 on a better turbo? Or cams? Or head work? Or a better exhaust manifold? Might you not have gotten an even better result?

This thread, like a lot on here, has a strong value for money element and a question of timing. WHEN should you do it, as well as, WHAT should you do. What I am saying, as I always do, is choose the item that gives the best bang for buck and eliminates the current weakest link. In this case, my assertion is that it is a waste of money upgrading a plenum if the current weakest link is the camshaft timing and lift, for example.

What I am NOT saying is you should NEVER upgrade the plenum, because that is obviously ridiculous. There comes a time where it is the best value for money and where the standard plenum is the weakest link. But most cars on here never reach that point, so it would be waste of money and quite plainly wrong to suggest otherwise.

Unless you do it for the rice value of course and that is an entirely different argument :jump:

So, Lets get hypothetical then......

I've got an RB25DET, which has had a numerous modifications made to bring it up to the theoretical (mythical) 450bhp limit of the stock plenum, and I just happen to have at my disposal, an RB26 plenum, and a GReddy one.

What do you see as the pros and cons of each in big power the RB25 application ?

So, Lets get hypothetical then......

I've got an RB25DET, which has had a numerous modifications made to bring it up to the theoretical (mythical) 450bhp limit of the stock plenum, and I just happen to have at my disposal, an RB26 plenum, and a GReddy one.

What do you see as the pros and cons of each in big power the RB25 application ?

You are already at my rule of thumb limit for the stock RB25DET internals. So regardless of your inlet preferences, you need to upgrade the rods and pistons before proceeding.

what if you had spent the $1500 on a better turbo? Or cams?

Hahaha! I've converted him!

Viewers at home - I understand your concern about the arguing between these two fellas. It seems like its getting old etc. I can understand that you want the right answers to your technical answers and thats all. But face facts - you are never going to get just that on an internet forum. There are too many bandits out there thinking they know all.

So what do you do? Well when you get to a point where you know a considerable amount more than the average Joe (Technical - automotive) these arguements get quite interesting because the people argueing are forced to bring out their real beliefs and open up, which really helps you decide wether they know what they are talking about or not. You have to do this for every user on every forum but once you figure out who knows what - the forums are quite useful.

So basically after seeing 3 or 4 threads of these two its easy to tell which one knows something and which one starts fights to try and make it look like they are all conquering.

You are already at my rule of thumb limit for the stock RB25DET internals.  So regardless of your inlet preferences, you need to upgrade the rods and pistons before proceeding.

Haha! Okay I'll have a go. First of all purely by visuals - the Greddy plenum has a lot more volume than the GTR plenum. So straight up I go for the GTR plenum because oversize plenums are so overrated. Look at the Cosworth stuff from the DFV days. Then if you go multi throttles its all about lag time people. Problem solved. You can just close the thread now guys :P

Hahaha! I've converted him!

Viewers at home - I understand your concern about the arguing between these two fellas. It seems like its getting old etc. I can understand that you want the right answers to your technical answers and thats all. But face facts - you are never going to get just that on an internet forum. There are too many bandits out there thinking they know all.

So what do you do? Well when you get to a point where you know a considerable amount more than the average Joe (Technical - automotive) these arguements get quite interesting because the people argueing are forced to bring out their real beliefs and open up, which really helps you decide wether they know what they are talking about or not. You have to do this for every user on every forum but once you figure out who knows what - the forums are quite useful.

So basically after seeing 3 or 4 threads of these two its easy to tell which one knows something and which one starts fights to try and make it look like they are all conquering.

ahahaha funny that, i dont think anyone is tring to look like they are all conquering, Steve from sst is a great guy and know his stuff :P and paul car is wild.

also Sk, has help me out on an up coming project, so i cant say nothing bad about him too :D

Also im not to sure if Sk, with agree with me but im almost 100% putting the gtr plenum onto a 25 is a very hard put becuase it doesnt line up and the gtr plenum uses muilt-throttles

Lukevl,

If it weren't for this continued bickering shite, we may have had an answer to the question by now. :upurs:

Bugger this, I'm going back to my home forum, at least the bickering isn't personal over there :run:

SK,

I'd still like to discuss this even though it's purely academical on my part, as you know I've already made my choice of plenum. You're welcome on the register anytime dude :P

13_devil - No I would say that someone is doing just that. Posting stupid things directly slandering and challenging the other whereas other people question opinions instead of starting fights. Trust me mate, when you get far enough down the track you can tell who is something and who is nothing.

JasonO - Someone is always going to give you different answers, and if people didn't bicker, maybe you would have an answer by now. Would it be the right one but?

OK ppl Next week we are going to do a back to back test on a stock GTR. First run will be totally stock then a single throttle body on the stock plenum then we will fit a Wolf plugin.

Will post the graphs of all the runs.Next is ND4SPD with a single on the Greddy intake so we post its final power grahps some time mid oct.

OK ppl Next week we are going to do a back to back test on a stock GTR. First run will be totally stock then a single throttle body on the stock plenum then we will fit a Wolf plugin.

Will post the graphs of all the runs.Next is ND4SPD with a single on the Greddy intake so we post its final power grahps some time mid oct.

Wouldnt it perhaps be a better idea to fit the Wolf and give the std setup a good tune, ensuring mixtures/ignition are right, plugs are good etc. Then rip out the multi throttle bodies then re-tune? Just some thoughts.

That way it would be a truer comparison if what both inlet setups can do when tuned to suit each application at the same boost.

Have a guess who has the fastest GTRs in WA?

And not being a smart a55, as i read the article on ND4SPD, (and apart form those horrible wheels:)) liked the car...

BUT

Doesnt NSW, Vic, QLD and SA all have quicker GTRs? Again that might not be a fair comparison as so many owners want different things from their cars, but...there is always a but :)