SAU Community

Skyline R33 series 1 no start

Skyline R33 series 1

Hey guys

So i have a series 1 R33 GTST. It had a blown motor in it so brought a series two long motor and used my series 1 turbo and intake. using series 1 wiring lume. i got it all fitted up on the weekend and guess what. no start. she cranks over fast but doesnt fire. so ive checked fuel. fuel is flowing freely and theres a bit of pressure behind it just after the fuel filter going into the rail. checked spark and i have spark at the spark plugs. checked injection pulse with a noide light and i have injection pulse. im kinda stuck at this point and not to sure what to attack next. im going to test fuel pressure tomorrow night just to make sure the pressure is right. i have tested it with 2 cas and no change. its just not making sense. i have fuel, i have spark, i have injection pulse. why wont she fire. any advice would be amazing. thanks guys

Edited by SkylineR33Lad

Hi,

I just got my skyline so I'm not particularly familiar with it yet but are all the sensors plugged in and proper? Maf, O2 etc?

A friend had his O2 sensor wires on his Rav4 chewed by his dog and had similar symptoms. 

Thanks for the fast reply guys. yer smells like fuel if ive been cranking it for a bit. plugs were wet when i pulled them out on the weekend. got new plugs coming tomorrow. 

ive gone over all my sensors and im 99 percent ive got them all hooked up. 

Edited by SkylineR33Lad

ive even tryed to use some start ya bastard and had no hope. do you have to adjust your cas or does that bolt straight on. cause im thinking its timming but i replaced timming belt when engine was out and it was smack dead perfect 

Update.

I found out that you adjust your cas for your timing since I just whacked it on I thought I had better give that a shot. I tried it in all angles as I would have to move it then go crank the key. Didn't make a difference. The weird thing is when I first crank the car. After it's been sitting it sounds like it fires straight away then just dies of and keeps on cranking over

When you first crank it. It sounds like it fires and then just sounds like it's turning over after that. I just compression tested all cylinders and they are all around 140:150. But when I was removing the plugs it came to my attention the spark plugs in cylinder 5 and 6 were dry. So I don't think I'm getting fuel into those cylinders. I have replaced all spark plugs. The car should still fire with 4 cylinders. I've all so checked over the link you posted . Yes I've checked everything on the list apart from timing. Can you check timing with out the car running. I have a timing light just need to make something up that can go into the coil. So I can put a ht lead for the pick up of the timing light

You really need the car running to check the timing.

I think you have already checked it but the CAS isnt a tooth out or something along those lines?

Is it just the standard ECU?
Be interesting to plug consult into it if so and see if there is an issue. My thinking is possibly AFM or water temp sensor perhaps (ECU thinks its -50 degrees or so)

Fuel pressure regulator hooked up correctly?

Im thinking that there may be a dud sensor. Double check all the connections (pull them out and check the pins) but you may have a sensor that is connected correctly but internally faulty

Wait hold up. Won't the car run with out the water temp sensor. I haven't got any of the cooling system hooked up. Not even the radiator. I'm pretty sure the water temp sensor is on the intake manifold and she's plugged in.

I'm pretty sure the cas can go on only one way. It's a standard ecu but the owner before me had a aftermarket ecu piggy backed off that one. Ive got another ecu coming tomorrow to plug it in and she if that makes a different. Also got another mass air flow sensor to try tomorrow. I'll check the fuel reg tomorrow but I don't think I really touched it so it still the same.

The car injects fuel differently depending on the water temp. So if your water temp is say 10 degrees, the car will run in a cold start mode and inject more fuel because it is colder

Like I said, this is all just guessing

I would strongly suggest hooking up the cooling system and correctly filling it to avoid any chance of the head or block warping or cracking

The issue you have described, we had a very similar experience with on an RB30. We found that the fuel pump wasn't working correctly and would not provide enough pressure in the system. Maybe double check that the fuel pressure is where is should be.

Ok guys so I've called in sick today to work. So I can try and figure this f**king car out. I pressure tested it from the filter as that was the only fitting that fitted my fuel pressure tester. I got 6 bar straight away. So I plugged in my mates ecu. Of his running 33. Still nothing! So I removed that ecu and put mine back in. I then changed the air flow sensor. Still nothing. I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting fuel to cylinder 5 and 6. I'm going to pull the plugs out on more time to conform that. I'm trying to post a video of it cranking over I can't seem to do it via iPhone. When I pump the throttle jut a little bit whilst cranking it sounds like it's firing. Any advice today would pretty amazing as I have taken the day of work

Okay so I pulled the fuel rail off so I can see if the injectors are blocked and clean them out. But when I got it out the injectors just don't look right to me. One of them have popped an o-ring half out. And one injector looks totally different to the rest.IMG_3442.thumb.jpg.cf4f7f52c85d93bded9d7284ccdd15c2.jpg

Still no start!!! Losing my mind here guys. Tried f**king everything. Don't know where to go from here. Please help. I tested all injectors when they were out by giving them a 12 volt feed. That all click when powered up. I'm lost.