SAU Community

Hks 2530 on rb25

Eager

Hi

i have fitted a hks 2530 to my r34 gtt. I know they are not the best match but as a stop gap, what sort of boost level should I run it at, on 98 Ron with usual mods, stock manifolds etc and power fc

and what sort of power do they generate

thanks

Yep power fc

its currently on stock afm although I have a r35 gtr afm ready to fit. Will need tuned again then 

it currently makes about 1.3 bar but tails off fairly early, I know that's fairly expected but is there anything I can do to help that ? If I run higher boost will it hold it better to red line?

Edited by Eager

No.

It might make more mid range hp, then taper off.

Effectively make it feel like a tractor to drive.

Look at the comment in Robo's thread from 13 years ago.  That setup was at about 0.9 bar, 220rwkW.

If you want more hp, bolt on a bigger turbo that can pass more air.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2017 at 7:39 AM, Eager said:

I know they are not the best match

I think they're a great turbo for a street setup as long as you only want 220 - 240KW, although obviously getting old now.

I just had mine tuned by Anthony ( @Guilt-Toy) and it makes 234KW.

On 10/28/2017 at 5:22 PM, Eager said:

it currently makes about 1.3 bar but tails off fairly early, I know that's fairly expected but is there anything I can do to help that ? If I run higher boost will it hold it better to red line?

Mine tails off also, and it's running only 13PSI up near redline - it's not a big turbo after all, and would be running out of flow at high RPM

On 10/28/2017 at 7:00 PM, Dale FZ1 said:

Effectively make it feel like a tractor to drive.

lol, I picked up my car from Newcastle on Saturday and drove to a mates place in Kyogle. On Sunday morning we did some tractor work on his tree plantation - the Skyline feels substantially different to my mates tractor :)

IMG_0773.thumb.JPG.edcd10ddc8944cb463249e04d42d0932.JPG

On 10/28/2017 at 7:00 PM, Dale FZ1 said:

If you want more hp, bolt on a bigger turbo that can pass more air.

I completely agree with this :thumbsup:

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 8:32 AM, Torques said:

Hi Torques,

Thanks for posting that - a bit of history there.

From Robo's 2004 post:

"Down low it is virtually eye for eye with the stock turbo, above 5000rpm is where it improves. But, when running 17psi in earlier testing, midrange before 4500rpm was pulling like a train. At 100k in 4th, you could just boot it and it would take off, nice!!"...

My actuator is opening too soon, so the 2530 on my car is laggier than stock - but once the boost kicks in around 3500 - 4000 rpm it pulls very hard.

I'm sure there's a bunch of modern turbos that perform way better than the 2530, both faster spool up and higher flow, but for an old turbo, where streetable power up to around 230kw is sufficient, they work great - mine brings a smile to my face every time I hop in the car.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You've probably got to get a firm idea of what you're trying to achieve.  And at what cost/effort.

What are you trying to achieve?

There's nothing inherently wrong with the 2530, BTW.  It just has limitations, same as any other turbo.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbochargers/gtx2867r-gen-ii

You could use a GTX2867 supercore and install your existing turbine housing onto that.  Relatively simple changeover, and it should make a bit more hp with broadly similar (but different) response characteristics.  Not a worthwhile change IMO, on a $$/hp basis. Unless the 2530 looks like it's on its last legs.

Home-cooked hybrid spec turbo just isn't worth it either, when there are plenty of tested/proven combinations for RB25 out there

My long term goal is 6boost,plazmaman,gtx3071 or 3076 gen2 type spec

but that’s a while away so something that bolts on for now that gives more than the 2530, the boost tails off fairly early on it I find leaving you feeling a bit underwhelmed as that’s the joy of rb25 for me, pulling power right to high revs 

• Like 1

Hypergear highflowed stock turbo will give you a bit more and will hold boost better up top and is direct bolt on. Power does tail off around 6500rpm but can make around 250-260rwkw and costs around $900 which you will be able to get a fair bit back on when you decide to do your desired setup and sell it off. Only negative thing about it is its journal bearing. Still works good. I have one, made 260kw on 98 and 312 on e85.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eager said:

My long term goal is 6boost,plazmaman,gtx3071 or 3076 gen2 type spec

but that’s a while away so something that bolts on for now that gives more than the 2530, the boost tails off fairly early on it I find leaving you feeling a bit underwhelmed as that’s the joy of rb25 for me, pulling power right to high revs 

Understood :)

Unless you get something that has a fair bit of increased turbine capacity, it will tail off somewhere around 6-6500rpm.

I may know of something suitable as a stop gap. 

• Thanks 1