SAU Community

Turbo and cam suggestions RB25 neo

sergi_dee

Hi guys so I have a r34 gtt, it's my 4th skyline and want to do things a little different. I want to push around the 400kw mark. Plan was to go e85, have all supporting mods, head work lifters, springs, cams etc. I'm confused on what turbo to get a precision turbo or Garrett gtx or gtw. For cams I was thinking on getting 272 with a 9mm lift? Just some suggestions and ideas would be much appreciated or if anyone else is making this power range what did you use?

Cheers [emoji1417]

Why confused?  Use the most modern turbo available.  That would be either a GTW or an EFR.  Lot's of happy EFR campers on here nowadays.

You don't need long duration cams for 400rwkW on E85.  You could do it with stock cams.  So reconsider.  The smart money is on using non-Jap cams.....like Camtech et al.  You should do some searching on here for all the myriad posts on these topics.

So you want 400kw and to have a heap of head work and supporting mods or you just want 400kw?

You can pretty easily easily make almost 400kw with zero headwork (with the possible exception of valve springs) and just basic mods (fuel pump/injectors/FMIC/ECU) using E85

ATR45SAT CBB turbo 

fronts.jpg

45mm Gate on stock exhaust manifold

externalgate.jpg

4 inches induction pipe, 600x300x100mm FMIC, 3.5 inches exhaust. Pretty things up:

enginebay.jpg

E85 fuel with 24psi and 400rwkws. 

power.jpg

I pushed 431rwkws out of stock cams. Anything bigger then that you can use Tomei Pon cams, car lost 300rpm of response after cam install, managed 490rwkws. 

• Like 1

Reason I wanted head work so it's safe 400kw+ and to freshen it up I guess also to have the lumpiness of the cams. Maybe something like a gtw388r or a gtx3582r gen 1 or 2 even a Precision 6062 or 6266?

Had a atr45 journal bearing on my previous skyline made 300kw safe great turbos but want something different for the new car.

Would 2000cc be good?

ATR45SAT CBB turbo 
fronts.jpg&key=ee2911b44ea7fb71a798d08bec7ee0dff7d592cbd456f73382878cdc478bb151
45mm Gate on stock exhaust manifold
externalgate.jpg&key=40a212da79fba02dc9bceff67c96ffb3ab4096eb2affd2fb628011708bd0ceec
4 inches induction pipe, 600x300x100mm FMIC, 3.5 inches exhaust. Pretty things up:
enginebay.jpg&key=70d14f611e868a0f3bd6cfb2ffb860e469e528b00202c8ee99c68e28aad42bdc
E85 fuel with 24psi and 400rwkws. 
power.jpg&key=971d471eba56fa817daef45481132cbad945ba121811ac763f691779f81060fe

I pushed 431rwkws out of stock cams. Anything bigger then that you can use Tomei Pon cams, car lost 300rpm of response after cam install, managed 490rwkws. 

So the car has stock internals and just bolt ons and made that power? Great figures and looks stock!! Haha

Yes, stock internals, factory cams, just bolton mods, customers car. The neo motors are very solid. The highest figures I've seen using the same turbo stock engine was 421rwkws on 26psi. that engine run fine till rebuilt a year later. 

6 hours ago, hypergear said:

Yes, stock internals, factory cams, just bolton mods, customers car. The neo motors are very solid. The highest figures I've seen using the same turbo stock engine was 421rwkws on 26psi. that engine run fine till rebuilt a year later. 

What size are the compressor/ turbine wheels on that turbo?

Sell car, buy someone's finished project (i.e mine) etc etc.

If you want to pay more money than you have to, I'd be saying go get a the new Garrett G25 range and make that work. If the claims are to be believed that's probably the best way forward.

If it 'only' makes 350kw it's going to be a far better car than 400kw on a 2.5 for many, many, many reasons for 99% of street driving.

I have a set of 1400cc delphi stainless steel injectors I got through scotty nm35 on here, which have served me well with no dramas whatsoever over many years. They will more than support the power you are after if the 2000-2200's as above are no good, they are definitely overkill in any case as I had no problems in the past pushing what must have been 460+kw

Would give you a good start! Turbo is like new as has only done a handful of laps since a new fresh rebuild. Responsive and could make 400kw if you really want to ring its neck! Best i saw was 392kw out of one but was responsive and fast!

• Like 1

2000cc or 2200cc injectors are junk, avoid! They're cheap for a reason because suppliers are overstocked on useless CNG injectors.

Ohh okay I thought that size just so I don't max them out, so what size do you reckon I should use? 400kw is the aim but if I get more with what setup I do obv I will be happy even with a 450kw.

Precisions have mostly fallen out of favor recently. They haven't gone backwards or anything but it looks like they never really got adopted. Seem to be pretty popular with the drag crowd. "Too much lag" and "400kw" and "RWD" aren't compatible (imo) with "Stock engine".

GTX3071 if you must go Garrett, but be creative and think G25-660 if you want your wallet to bleed the cost of buying a new setup.

• Like 1

On a 6 cylinder on 98, the rough rule of thumb is that you need 1cc of injector (per cylinder) for each engine HP.  So a 600HP engine is going to use about 600cc injectors.  E85 uses at least 30% more fuel.  So with a little arithmetic you can work out that your injectors need to be in the region of 1000cc.  So if you want some spare capacity, then you're looking for slightly bigger than that.

What is not taken into consideration in the above though, is fuel pressure.  You can get away with a little less injector if your pump can maintain the right pressure at high loads. 1000cc can work properly at the power levels you're talking about.

• Like 1

Tbh I was thinking gtx3582r gen 1 or 2. Heard good things about them and they sound amazing.

For injectors I will get something between 1000cc and 1600cc then? Just so if I do decide to push more power I don't have to change my injectors again and spend more money that's why I was thinking bigger.