SAU Community

NM35 Fuel gauge inaccuracy

Akshunhiro

Hi all, has anyone experienced fuel gauge issues below a quarter of a tank?

Mine fluctuates wildly but seems to right itself after a bit of driving/sloshing but can drop as low as an 8th and turn the light on but then come back up to a quarter.

Annoyingly the DTE under the 'boost leaf' must get its readings from the same sensor as that fluctuates too.

Does this model still have a conventional float level sensor? Could it just be dirty contacts?

Mine does this constantly mate. Even with a full tank my gauge sits about 1/8th from full. 

I generally get about 100km out of the last 1/4 of a tank. 

Ah, right. Thanks for the responses. Good to know I'm not the only one. 

I did find a diagram of it and appears to just be the one sensor but sits on the opposite side of the fuel neck and pump/filter assembly. I suspected it would be similar to the WRX where it sits over the trans tunnel and essentially splits the tank but there's no secondary fuel pump from the looks.

If it makes you feel better (if schadenfreude is your thing), both my PNM35s did this as well. Was never a problem until the tanks were drained below the fuel light level, and they were all over the place after that. They read ok for the top half of the tank, but after that they'd fluctuate between half and near-empty.

To anyone reading this before this problem occurs to them, I'd recommend not running below 1/4 tank.