SAU Community

RPM stock gauge acting funny - please help!

Robocop2310

Hi guys,

I don't drive my R33 GTR often but this morning started noticing that my car's RPM gauge (stock factory) is acting funny in the sense that it would sometimes get stuck at 5,000 RPM and then not rev over that and then come back down again and then sometimes it spins up and down a few times and resets to 0 again. 

I don't think it's a mechanical or engine issue and my car drives normally but perhaps it something to do with the gauge or the wiring itself? 

Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it? Thought I'd check here first before taking it to a motor mechanic. 

Cheers,

Alex

5 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

I think I've read about R33's having crazy tachos, you'll have to pull the cluster out.

Did you have a wonder through the search results here?

Hi mate, 

I too heard about this - it's very weird as the car runs normally so probably just the Tacho going spastic.

Tried searching with no luck unfortunately.

Cheers,

Alex

Tacho runs from an ECU output.  Check appropriate pin in the ECU plug is in good order (inserted properly, not broken, dirty, etc).  Hook oscilloscope up to that pin and see if the ECU output is clean and proper.  Try again at tacho end of wiring and see if it's clean there.

6 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Tacho runs from an ECU output.  Check appropriate pin in the ECU plug is in good order (inserted properly, not broken, dirty, etc).  Hook oscilloscope up to that pin and see if the ECU output is clean and proper.  Try again at tacho end of wiring and see if it's clean there.

Much appreciated mate. I'll give it a go soon. 

Cheers,

Alex

Hey mate, you're a life-saver. Much appreciated.

So if I don't really care about the Rev cluster for now as I'm too busy leaving it as is won't harm or damage my GTR in anyway, would it? Seems to be a fairly complex skills fix and  requires a lot of time to take the dash apart both of which I do not have. 

Once again, many thanks.

Edited by Robocop2310

On 9/7/2018 at 4:35 PM, iTzTMG said:

You're welcome mate.
Taking the cluster out is not too bad, the soldering part does require some skill but it won't do any harm if you leave it as is.

You're spot on mate. I've taken the cluster out before to change blown dash globes so it's not too bad but the soldering part I'm stuck so guess will leave it as is for a while until I have time to bring it to mechanics. Once again, much appreciated mate.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, CU's GTR said:

There is a place in Ringwood that fixed that issue. For $120 they change and fix the cluster. They are on Maroondah hwy near the east link.

Many thanks mate. Would you know the name of this place by any chance?

Cheers