SAU Community

Water Pump Replacment

Missileman

My water pump is starting to leak, do I need to take the lower timing cover and harmonic balancer off to replace the water pump? I'mot doing a major service as the belt and pulleys were done 40K ago.

Cheers Mike.

8 minutes ago, Missileman said:

My water pump is starting to leak, do I need to take the lower timing cover and harmonic balancer off to replace the water pump? I'mot doing a major service as the belt and pulleys were done 40K ago.

Cheers Mike.

Yep, all off. It sucks! Make sure you do crank seal while in there, and should do can seals also..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Missileman said:

Cheers Mike.

So....I guess that makes the point that people should always do the water pump when they do the timing belt. Costs 300 more, but saves having to do the job twice. (sorry I know that is no help to you now, but maybe one day someone will search, find this thread, and go, hey, why don't I take that advice!)

Yep, did that, studs bearings and belt, I tend to go with don't fix whats not broken, but can appreciated your advice. How hard is it to remove and replace those cam and crank seals? They look like O-rings if so then a pick tool and a piece of pipe should do the trick.

Edited by Missileman

1 minute ago, Missileman said:

Yep, did that, studs bearings and belt, I tend to go with don't fix whats not broken, how hard is it to remove and replace those cam and crank seals? They look like O-rings if so then a pick tool and a piece of pipe should do the trick.

They aren't orings, don't actullay knoW what the name Of that seal is. The suggested way to get the seals out varies between stab and lever out to screw in a screw and pull out. Being careful not to scratch stuff up of course. I rate it 2/10 on the home mechanic difficulty scale, which is completely in my head and made up on the spot. 

Thanks, I'll talk to my support crew... a retired panel beater and his brother the mechanic, the panel beater mate has every fcuking tool you can think of, and a nice bloke too. I wont let him work on my cars as his back is all fcucked up, but he still love giving advice and standing around laughing at my skills.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

I rate it 2/10 on the home mechanic difficulty scale, which is completely in my head and made up on the spot.

What this actually means is that 8 out of 10 people who attempt it will f**k it up and end up posting for help!

And buy a good quality pump and preferably one specific to the 20/25 Skylines.  RB30 ones will fit but they take one less bolt and IMO always end up leaking.  And the cheaper water pumps are Chinese and they don't last either.

• Thanks 1