SAU Community

R33 gtr gearbox upgrades?

5 minutes ago, BK said:

And you'll kill another one. There isn't any difference in strength, the synchros are just revised slightly for better shifting. There is bugger all difference between the boxes really, I don't know why Nissan even bothered. About 10 parts were changed.

Ok good to know anyone know what the go to brand is for gearsets these days ? As it's still street driven would be better just doing 1st to 3rd ? And keep 5th as is ?

Ps if anyone has a second hand sequential I may been interested !!

Edited by danny14

On 23/05/2019 at 3:55 PM, joshuaho96 said:

For a street car would you guys recommend the 3 gear set instead of 5 gears? I don't like how the 5th gear is shorter, as-is the engine turns ~3000 RPM around 130 kph.

On 23/05/2019 at 4:10 PM, BK said:

Yeah that's the go and what I still use in the 33. If you get the 3 speed kit with uprated input shaft it ends up being strengthened 1st - 4th gears with a standard 5th, as the input shaft is essentially 4th as it is the 1:1 direct gear.

The OS Giken 5th is more for circuit racing being shorter.

So an Os gearset over a Par set is the recommendation? 

Probably a dumb question but looking at my attachment which one should I order? The heavy duty input shaft or the holinger type?

Cheers

Edit: I don't have a clutch yet so will probably go with the Holinger type and an R3C

asdfsadtergdf.JPG

Edited by 33SOM

2 minutes ago, 33SOM said:

Probably a dumb question but looking at my attachment which one should I order? The heavy duty input shaft or the holinger type?

Cheers

asdfsadtergdf.JPG

What site are you on mate and what gearset is that

19 hours ago, 33SOM said:

Cheers

asdfsadtergdf.JPG

Did you get a quote from them posted to aus with taxes ?

On 08/06/2020 at 3:01 PM, BK said:

OS Giken gearsets are now confirmed in stock again at RHDjapan if anyone is still looking.

A few key points I'll mention about those wanting a Giken gearset which are usually overlooked. There was a reason I posted this - they have been very hard to get and RHD seems to be the pick for supply. They are in stock now, but next shipment is September or October if you miss out. Also those Greenline prices will absolutely not be updated, their site is terrible for this. This is about the cost breakdown of doing a box just for you guys thinking of doing one -

The kit with input / no 5th is about $4.3k and with 5th about $5k before tax or shipping. With Covid-19 at the moment means no EMS from Japan either, so only shipping option will be by international courier = expensive. Usually DHL, which means you absolutely will pay GST as DHL are pricks for always picking this up.

If you've got an old box budget about $1000 for series 3 upgrade parts and about a 1 - 2 month wait. Want a centre plate (recommended) ? Budget another $1200 - $1500. Want a GM / Holinger 26t spline upgrade ? Special order input shaft, and custom machining out of your existing gearbox front cover another 3.5mm diameter to fit it. Cost $500+

Can't get box in and out of car yourself ? $500 from workshop for box out. Same again for box back in, $500. Can't assemble gearset yourself ? Minimum $2k box strip and reassembly.

Getting pretty close to a $10k box now, without a clutch.

....and they do break.

I'm in a bit of a interesting situation at the moment as well, I currently have a ppg 5sp s/c dog box in bits waiting on parts from ppg which may be upto a 3 month wait, so I'm torn on do I sell it as is or do I wait and fix it, out of all the options par seems to be best local option at the moment.

my questions is should I sell the gearset and buy something new or do I wait and fix it and give someone a good deal?

16 minutes ago, Greekos said:

I'm in a bit of a interesting situation at the moment as well, I currently have a ppg 5sp s/c dog box in bits waiting on parts from ppg which may be upto a 3 month wait, so I'm torn on do I sell it as is or do I wait and fix it, out of all the options par seems to be best local option at the moment.

my questions is should I sell the gearset and buy something new or do I wait and fix it and give someone a good deal?

?me 

poor assembly, caused me to have shifting issues with the shifter coming out of the trans during high load shifts and even miss selected a gear a couple time when the shifter came out.. I'm lucky I didn't fold my motor in half 

yeah it was a shame as I only did 500km's before I decided to pull it and check it out luckily as it would have caused more damage. I'm torn between building a o/s syncro box, and this dog box as I love the whine and dog engagement as when you get a good shift its just awesome at how fast and direct it is.

That won't cause flames as a sequential box is always going to be superior on the circuit, but that's not necessarily what we're all talking about is it ? It's a far too simplistic view, as not everyone wants a Sequential or dog box.

Some people want helical gears, some straight cut gears. Some want synchro, some want dog engagement. But some people want an H pattern, or any combination of the mentioned configurations in a transmission. Driving an H pattern, synchro box on street is always going to be the easiest box to operate. I happen to like straight cut gears and dog boxes, but I like H pattern too.

Albins and Holinger have been proven to make quality gear, but being sequential doesn't automatically mean stronger by definition. I hope your not under the impression you are going to spend $25k - $30k on a box and it be indestructible. The sequentials are not a set and forget fix, require regular teardowns like any dog engagement, and they also can break just like any other box. A sequential would be the last thing I would want, or need, on a mainly street driven car.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Greekos said:

yeah it was a shame as I only did 500km's before I decided to pull it and check it out luckily as it would have caused more damage. I'm torn between building a o/s syncro box, and this dog box as I love the whine and dog engagement as when you get a good shift its just awesome at how fast and direct it is.

Rebuild it for sure.

Ok... 

So why does it seem hard to get details on the cost to maintain the dog box's ?

I read very mixed info of needing new dogs every 5k, some to most gears seem to have dogs built in, so your buying a full gear. 

Almost no on advertises the cost of gears and you feel like your wasting peoples time to call when you are in options mode. 

A real street car in my mind is going to do 10,000k a year and your looking at one or two gearbox overhauls ?  At xx price ?