SAU Community

Not sure if my rb25 is a det or de

Hi, I bought an r32 gtst almost a year back and ive been fixing all the little bits and pieces to get it to the stage of a road worthy. The guy i bought it off said its got an rb25det, The motor is N/A at the moment but im not sure if its de or det. The head is stamped 75T and so is the block. Any way of telling if it was originally turbo'd. New to the skylines and tryna learn. Thanks

sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Well, what it originally left the factory with is stamped on the chassis plate on the firewall. R32 GTST came with rb20det not rb25det, although some late r32 gts came with rb25de no t.

But I guess you are asking if you have an rb25det motor with a turbo removed, or an rb25de. One way to tell should be a compression test as the rb25det will have lower compression, not sure other certain ways because it seems some rb25de blocks had plugged ports for the oil feed and oil return instead of nothing at all (although, no oil ports would confirm rb25de)

Quick search on here suggests 75T was the casting number for both rb25de and rb25det from R33 gtst, so that doesn't help.

Yeah i am trying to understand... So you wanna know if its a 

1. De+t

2. DET turned de 

3. A true Factory DE/Na

once you tell us exactly what you wanna know, we can tell you what to look for.

This is your best bet i can think of...That red circle is your turbo oil drain.  if in that area on your block is a blank/does not exists then it is 100% a de block. If this spot on your block has any kind plug of bolt or block off that goes into a hole, then its a turbo block that plugged up. 

3227ADFC-0022-49BB-934E-649BF44F3367.jpeg

On 3/22/2020 at 1:38 PM, Dil-Dog said:

If this spot on your block has any kind plug of bolt or block off that goes into a hole, then its a turbo block that plugged up. 

Na sorry mate, have a de block here drilled and tapped for turbo oil return with a plug in it, so thats not necessarily true.

15 hours ago, Dil-Dog said:

Damn bro..... i only have experience with neo’s. That must be a series 1/2 specific thing then. My 25de neo and my friends 25de neo is a blank in that location. good looking out though. @Rusty Nuts

It is weird they bothered drilling and tapping then plugging it, but that's what they did.

What's even stranger is they did the same on rb30 blocks. Good on them for helping us out though !

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, Ben C34 said:

It is weird they bothered drilling and tapping then plugging it, but that's what they did.

The blocks would have been all turbo spec on the production line, then some bean counter said "hey we can save some yen" and got a bonus.