SAU Community

18x10 or 10.5 wheels for motorsport use

Morning all. We run a racecar with GTR offset wheels and are looking for a couple of sets to replace the chinesium wheels currently used.

Does anyone have any recommendations of wheel brands that can take some motorsport use without cracking or flogging out? They don't need to be all that lightweight, but cost and strength are important.

Cheers, Troy

completely comes down to budget

I run the same 'GTR offset'

I have Rays Ce28rt race black edition 9.5kgish for a 10.5 - biggest best forged light weight blaa blaa all the rest with the  $$ to boot - ....still warped two rims and i cant even remember when I hit anything to do it but prob a ripple strip in there somewhere but the point being cans till happen

got Works MRO's - 11.5/8kg for a 10.5" - half the price of above - not forged etc - run fine and no problems

Wedsport TC105x are great bang for buck in between the two types above $ wise - not forged but flowformed or whatever and super light at 8.5kg ish for 10.5" and where id put my money now 

but as per first line - comes down to budget

GTR offset, but not for a GTR, right?

On a 32 GTR with standard (rolled rear) guards, I have BC Racing custom forged wheels in 18x10+22 offset rt50 design (similar to Rays TE37) fitting perfectly.

I've not broken a wheel racing personally (not that I've never tried :)) but I value strong and preferably forged wheels for safety. Considering how much is spent on these cars for racing $1,200 per rim for a forged wheel that fits perfectly was good value to me.

12 hours ago, Duncan said:

GTR offset, but not for a GTR, right?

On a 32 GTR with standard (rolled rear) guards, I have BC Racing custom forged wheels in 18x10+22 offset rt50 design (similar to Rays TE37) fitting perfectly.

I've not broken a wheel racing personally (not that I've never tried :)) but I value strong and preferably forged wheels for safety. Considering how much is spent on these cars for racing $1,200 per rim for a forged wheel that fits perfectly was good value to me.

awesome!   whats the weight

On 04/12/2020 at 11:30 AM, GTSBoy said:

Enkei RPF (ie, RPF01) are not forged, but are very light and quite strong - largely because very top end non-forged manufacturing techniques and large number of spokes. Not outrageously expensive either.

I've seen a cracked one (although it had a tough life on an R33 GT-R), but agree for the price they are great.

I know of multiple enkei RPF that have cracked. They are probably good for cast wheels but I believe a forged wheel is always going to be stronger.  I've been running cast Wedsport SA90 for many years and never broken one, they are pretty thick and probably heavy

Weds Weds Sport SA-90 17x7.5 +45, 5x100 by Tommy H. › WheelFlip.com

Also, I decided to do some testing on the forged BC RT50 over the weekend, had a reasonably major crash that means we need to replace the rear half of the car and popped the tyre bead off the rim, but the wheels made it through fine...

image.png

Sorry I don't have rim only weight, they all have tyres on them, but they are lighter in 18x10 than the 17x8 cast weds are

• Like 2