SAU Community

how can i upgrade my ignition system on my rb30 (from the stock dizzy)

ighty so my distributor shat the bed the other day and considering that the last owner had already done some work to the dizzy, I thought its not a bad idea to upgrade to a new system.  ive done a good amount of research across the web/forums on different ignition system that can be used but I've still got a lot of questions left unanswered.

Can the coil packs that suit an RB20det or RB26det/25 or NEO"s fit into the rb30 N/A, because i was thinking about running spitfire coil packs "DIS 008 or DIS 001" (not sure if theirs room for them under the intake manifold or if theirs a reason they cant be run on non turbos idk sounds stupid), 

What wasted spark systems can i fit up to my dirty 31, and do i need to set up a new ECU to run it (im running stock ECU)

Finally i'm doing this to increase reliability, to get better efficiency at high rev and maybe a little bit of fuel economy, but is it worth converting ignition systems, i.e. can i achieve these same traits from an after market distributor and some tampering here and there.... also its safe to say different ignition systems are illegal on p plates?  

yeah any help or comments of this will be f**king legendarily helpful

You’ll need an aftermarket ecu to do any of what you asked about. 

platinum racing products makes a crank trigger setup for the single cam rb30 engine. 

LS coils would br a good choice as they’re cheap and plentiful, then run leads from them to the spark plugs 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cheww said:

increase reliability,

Hmm, your car is approx 30 years old. Just put a recond distributor in and move on. It wil last 15 Years easily.

Spending money on an ecu and tune {3 grand) to get rid of a distributor isn't smart

Plenty of quick rb30s still using a distributor, and no way will rb25 spitfires fit mate, should be fairly obvious comparing the 2 heads.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, r32-25t said:

You’ll need an aftermarket ecu to do any of what you asked about. 

platinum racing products makes a crank trigger setup for the single cam rb30 engine. 

LS coils would br a good choice as they’re cheap and plentiful, then run leads from them to the spark plugs 

yeah i thought an ECU would be a must thanks for confirming that though. and thanks for your suggestion ill do some more research on the price that set up will be, as it cant be pushing far past the 1k mark or it'll have to be saved for another day.

43 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

It’s going to way past the 1k mark, the ecu alone will be double that 

yeah i definitely under estimated the costs and work of getting an ecu, for some reason i thought i could get the ECU done at around 700ish  

11 minutes ago, Cheww said:

yeah i definitely under estimated the costs and work of getting an ecu, for some reason i thought i could get the ECU done at around 700ish  

You might be able to pull this off if you get lucky finding a 2nd hand ECU. Maybe someone wants to get rid of an old haltech platinum ECU, I can imagine that might be sold for around the $700 mark. 

7 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Hmm, your car is approx 30 years old. Just put a recond distributor in and move on. It wil last 15 Years easily.

Spending money on an ecu and tune {3 grand) to get rid of a distributor isn't smart

Plenty of quick rb30s still using a distributor, and no way will rb25 spitfires fit mate, should be fairly obvious comparing the 2 heads.

yeah shit i know i got a lot to learn but i didnt see it getting up to 3k.

yeah my original plan was to do that (recondition the dizzy myself) by just sourcing out and replacing all the parts of the dizzy to end up with 1 nearly fresh one, ill probably just go with that.........unless you know anyone who sells already made up reconditioned distributors?  

27 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

You might be able to pull this off if you get lucky finding a 2nd hand ECU. Maybe someone wants to get rid of an old haltech platinum ECU, I can imagine that might be sold for around the $700 mark. 

very interesting, but sounds like a fair bit of waiting and i dont really want my car off the road for that long, its still my daily.

On 26/02/2021 at 7:53 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Have heard of an Rb20 loom and ecu with nistune being modified to work on a rb30 would be the most economical way to go. 

cheers man ill keep this in mind because a nistune ECU is definitely coming in the future, cheers man

On 28/02/2021 at 11:20 PM, GTSBoy said:

Obviously the sarcasm simply did not register.

hahahhaha yeahh na, was gonna give it a google later cas i couldnt really wrap my head around how that would even work but yeah na that makes sense now ay