SAU Community

Rb25 Rookie timing mistake , damaged ?

Ok guys so , cams are set at tdc : #1 lobes pointing away from lifters, and winded Pistons clockwise from my 10mm to tdc with head put on. 

Now question I have is #6 valves are open and # 6 piston is at tdc? This right ?

212AFA72-E96F-443B-ACC5-071429B2E0AD.jpeg

On 7/31/2021 at 1:41 AM, GTSBoy said:

That's called overlap. Top of exhaust stroke, beginning of induction stroke, both valves are slightly open. Exhaust is closing, inlet it opening.

Ah got it , so it’s correct as it is yes ?

i know when I set the timing ... the right time this time that things should align probably 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:15 PM, GTSBoy said:

Yes it is correct. Whenever a cylinder is on compression/firing stroke (ie, #1 in this case) then the other cylinder that is also at TDC will be on the exhaust/induction overlap.

Thank you for being so informative gtst, this is awesome ! So seems like I’m on the right path and all is good!

@ben that’s how I got them back from the shop , but I didn’t torque head down yet. Just mocking everything up and make sure it’s all ok.

now just gotta wait for my days off to get it all assembled and done!

On 7/31/2021 at 11:14 PM, GTSBoy said:

Yes, but they still look concerning. Viz the circled examples.....

image.thumb.png.e1b9849fa7d5485c4a209466fc082f67.png

All of this looks very unimpressive. Got some closeups?

Ohhhh they put assembly lube on them ! Yeah kinda looks like shit from that close up but I can assure all Rust is of and they lubed all lobes!

thanks for the heads up tho gtst ! You’ve been of upmost help

Set everything to time on the cams and crank. And get everything bolted down , now time to put on belt and torque the cam bolts after. 

Thank you everyone for the much appreciated help! I think this time around I got things right lol 

69792A63-108A-4D98-B368-E11317798493.jpeg

Edited by Frozengrip
  • Like 2