SAU Community

3D Print R32 HID light mount?

Hey

I have been reading many previous articles on people modifying original R32 Headlights to do angel eyes, LED etc but i have never seen if anyone has considered doing a HID modification to the original lights with 3D printing to mount the bulb and HID. Has anyone considered this and if so do they have the files that they would be willing to share? If nobody has i may be willing to put the resources to do it.

Thanks

As above. The original lenses are crap. So replacing with a proper HID is the only sensible approach.

Also, 3D printing, in THERMOplastic, something which will hold something that gets very very hot, is not necessarily going to end well. You will note from the link that Josh put up that the adapter mounts are metal. And those aren't even very nice ones, compared to some other options. And all of this has been sorted out to a completely satisfactory degree for several years at least.

On 16/12/2021 at 11:26 AM, GTSBoy said:

As above. The original lenses are crap. So replacing with a proper HID is the only sensible approach.

Also, 3D printing, in THERMOplastic, something which will hold something that gets very very hot, is not necessarily going to end well. You will note from the link that Josh put up that the adapter mounts are metal. And those aren't even very nice ones, compared to some other options. And all of this has been sorted out to a completely satisfactory degree for several years at least.

Just gotta pick the right filament. PPSU has a Tg of 220°C, probably wouldn't be a bad choice. 

Agree though, there's enough kits out there for the 32 that it feels unnecessary to reinvent the wheel.

Also HID's are sooo 1992, go LED.

On 12/15/2021 at 7:53 PM, Unzipped Composites said:

Just gotta pick the right filament. PPSU has a Tg of 220°C, probably wouldn't be a bad choice. 

Agree though, there's enough kits out there for the 32 that it feels unnecessary to reinvent the wheel.

Also HID's are sooo 1992, go LED.

https://www.organizedgaragestatus.com/product-page/retro-quik-1989-1994-nissan-r32-gt-r-morimoto-m-led-2-0

From what I've heard the M-LED projector isn't as good as the Mini D2S. I've also heard that Morimoto projectors in general aren't awesome, at the key test points they're often no better than some OEM halogen projectors out there but with excessive foreground and lack of good "squirrel spotters" above the cutoff, in the US most projectors will have a tiny bit of light controlled above the cut line to illuminate signs and maybe stuff like animal tapetums.

I'd be worried about that crowd. They can't even get the description for the LED version to say anything about LED. It's all HID talk. f**king clowns.

From what I understand, the Morimotos are within cooee of the notional benchmark HID (the Accord) and even if they weren't they'd about 500% better than the stock R32 projectors, so there can hardly be any justification for complaints.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:14 AM, GTSBoy said:

I'd be worried about that crowd. They can't even get the description for the LED version to say anything about LED. It's all HID talk. f**king clowns.

From what I understand, the Morimotos are within cooee of the notional benchmark HID (the Accord) and even if they weren't they'd about 500% better than the stock R32 projectors, so there can hardly be any justification for complaints.

Curiously if you look at the M-LED rectangle bracket that mounts in the headlight it's metal, while the HID bracket appears to be laser cut fiberglass. So they probably have thought about things like the higher housing heating of the LEDs vs HIDs even if they half-assed the webpage. They're definitely better than the stock R32 projectors, I just wish the aftermarket had better options in general. A lot of weird priorities going on there.

Edited by joshuaho96

Yet another example of where the picture doesn't match the words. The HID page describes the mounting hardware as "water jet cut from T6". And yes, the picture looks like FG.

But at least FG isn't a thermoplastic.

Properly cooling LEDs in an R32 housing seems like an impossibility to me - at least if you want to close the back of it up, like you should. Probably still wisest to "settle" for HIDs. They're a known quantity.

If you're trying to put H3 HID bulb in the original projectors, you're going to have a bad time.

You don't even need the mounting brackets to change the shitty halogen projectors out for something decent. Just chop the original ones (I've done this). I also got the metal brackets from Lightwerkz, they were a pretty penny. I reckon you could get some locally cut for cheaper.

The Koito bi-LED is an excellent unit, only one I'd consider (or the low-beam only units, I have a bunch to try out). The Morimoto M-LED v2 looks good but haven't seen in person so can't say, but might suffer from strong foreground like most LED units. You are correct about the cooling GTSBoy, the housing isn't large. You could get away with some sort of one-way valve/vent. Otherwise, tried and tested D2S is the way.

I really should get around to experimenting with headlights again, have a bunch of OE LEDs and HID units to try out...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys and Girls 

My r32 headlights are just bright as candle 🤣

I don’t want to put only h1 xenon kit

I was thinking of building and modifying the bmw e60 lci projectors found in the garage

The only downside comes when the bulbs are d1s. So space needs to be done a lot of time and think about how to make the headlight waterproof

The lenses are original but the reflector is bmw

Here is few pictures my little Project. 

IMG_20210928_115922.jpg

IMG_20210928_115929.jpg

IMG_20210927_124727.jpg

IMG-20211226-WA0034.jpeg

Edited by TukeH