SAU Community

Wanting to buy a JDM car in the future but there is a couple of issues

On 5/4/2022 at 3:19 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

My shit box is with Enthusiast for $50k at $1.6k, 8000km max travel a year. 

8000km per year LOL.. I've done like 400km this year so far, still 7600km to go!

Mine is similar, but I did find you can dynamically adjust it during the year and pay more/adjust the payment if you like.

Or lower it in your case :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:17 PM, GTSBoy said:

My R32 is <<$1k with Shannons.

Shannons won't even insure me. apparently lock up garage is mandatory and carport inside the property behind a secured gate is not good enough.

On 05/05/2022 at 12:34 AM, Nostalgia said:

Shannons won't even insure me. apparently lock up garage is mandatory and carport inside the property behind a secured gate is not good enough.

Did you get an instant rejection or a personalised e-mail/call from a human?

A human from Enthusiast actually asked for photos of my car, parked in my garage to be e-mailed. They asked for engine bay shots, interior shots, around the car to prove it was actually garaged and not some clapped out shit box.

I suppose you could try with them and send photos of your car locked up behind a heavy duty gate?

On 5/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, Nostalgia said:

Do you mind if I asked, who you insured with? All the big guys like NRMA,  Alliance, etc have the EXACT same car value estimate system, it's like they just borrowed it from each other lol. Apprently a silvia is worth 13k or so. Muppets.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, Nostalgia said:

Same, but was from an actual human who saw photos of my setup, even though the fence (and powered, solid gate) is ostensibly the same. Enthusiast saw the photos and were happy to help me out as they said it provides the same protection as a garage would. (moreso, given the gate in my case).

Shannons agreed with me, but they couldn't for policy reasons. Another option is Ryno, which offered a very similar quote - But they didn't have a km restriction because they generally know these cars won't do 50,000km a year, so they don't really bother with making you sit under a limit, as they said they know when they DO go out, they will go out and do 500km cruises, so limit based on km's doesn't make much sense, as they didn't want me to have to wait to 'spend' KMs.

I took the Ryno quote to Enthusiasts and asked them to match it, and they did. The first person I spoke to I wanted to increase my $ from 35k to 50k given current market and was told lolno. The second enthusiast person asked for name of first operator and time of call etc... so that was nice. Good human that 2nd time! Ask for Anne lol.

• 4 months later...

Hey all, I had a bit of a silly question. I am getting closer to buying my car, and was wondering to make sure the owner is the owner of the car I just need to check the rego paper right?

Also how does it work if 2 family members have the same first and last name? I've worked in a job where that was common. I guess I would check signature of driving license and one that the owner signed on the rego paper?

Also wondering if it's worth doing a written statement as well that they sold me the car and taking a picture of their driver license on the paper along with mine.

I think I've covered everything?

I'm going to give you the worst case, super duper rare, but still happens scenario. 

The car is parked up long term, maybe the owner is overseas then got stuck in covid isolation issues. In any case, the car has been sitting for months....

Someone notices the sitting car and casually tows it away to their mate who owns a car yard. The car yard processes paperwork and poof! The person who stole the car is now the "owner" on paper. They now have registration paperwork that is in their name and by all accounts is the same as everyone else's legitimate paperwork...

Our new friend sells the car ASAP to someone who has no idea the car was previously stolen. I mean, they have rego paperwork in their name, can prove their ID at the time of the sale, everything looks good right? 

Then our friend finally manages to get back into Australia... hang on, where's my car?

And now, the car has 2 legal owners. 2 people have paid for the car and both believe they are the owner. 

Welcome to local court to dispute the ownership. Please file all paperwork, see below. 

https://www.localcourt.nsw.gov.au/content/dam/dcj/ctsd/localcourt/documents/practice-notes/25622pdfAnnexure_D_-_Pre-trial_Review_Sheet.pdf

• Like 3

Oh I forgot to add, I'm not trying to scare you Silviaz. Everything you said sounds like a good plan.

Once you have done all of that, trust your instincts. If something feels wrong, don't be scared to walk away and find another car. Just having a car in your name with the associated paperwork doesn't legally mean the ownership is 100% yours and cannot be disputed. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I'm going to give you the worst case, super duper rare, but still happens scenario. 

The car is parked up long term, maybe the owner is overseas then got stuck in covid isolation issues. In any case, the car has been sitting for months....

Someone notices the sitting car and casually tows it away to their mate who owns a car yard. The car yard processes paperwork and poof! The person who stole the car is now the "owner" on paper. They now have registration paperwork that is in their name and by all accounts is the same as everyone else's legitimate paperwork...

Our new friend sells the car ASAP to someone who has no idea the car was previously stolen. I mean, they have rego paperwork in their name, can prove their ID at the time of the sale, everything looks good right? 

Then our friend finally manages to get back into Australia... hang on, where's my car?

And now, the car has 2 legal owners. 2 people have paid for the car and both believe they are the owner. 

Welcome to local court to dispute the ownership. Please file all paperwork, see below. 

https://www.localcourt.nsw.gov.au/content/dam/dcj/ctsd/localcourt/documents/practice-notes/25622pdfAnnexure_D_-_Pre-trial_Review_Sheet.pdf

Thanks for letting me know. So the paperwork is essentially fake?

Oh I forgot to add, I'm not trying to scare you Silviaz. Everything you said sounds like a good plan.

Once you have done all of that, trust your instincts. If something feels wrong, don't be scared to walk away and find another car. Just having a car in your name with the associated paperwork doesn't legally mean the ownership is 100% yours and cannot be disputed. 

Will do thanks mate.

I was doing some research and seems like a bank cheque would be better than me paying them cash upfront then doing the paperwork incase they run off? lol.

1. Good pair of running shoes laced tightly

2. Stretch and warm up

3. Setup up 4 cameras to film event,  one strapped to head. Stretch again to be sure

4. Cross fingers

5. Hand over cash and do paper work, keep stretching whole time.

6. Drive off, spin bearing.

Or

6a, chase them down easily due to pre planning of runaway and try again.

I think that's it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, silviaz said:

Thanks for letting me know. So the paperwork is essentially fake?

No, the paperwork is real. In my scenario, all of the paperwork was real. 

What I'm saying is this: 

Car is towed away/stolen. 

Real paperwork gets lodged, title of car is transferred into thiefs name.

Thief sells car, provides real paperwork to the buyer. 

Buyer lodges real paperwork transferring the car into their name. 

Previous owner of the car discovers their car has been stolen. Now there are 2 "owners" for the same car. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

No, the paperwork is real. In my scenario, all of the paperwork was real. 

What I'm saying is this: 

Car is towed away/stolen. 

Real paperwork gets lodged, title of car is transferred into thiefs name.

Thief sells car, provides real paperwork to the buyer. 

Buyer lodges real paperwork transferring the car into their name. 

Previous owner of the car discovers their car has been stolen. Now there are 2 "owners" for the same car. 

Ah ok, so they stole the original paperwork that was with the car. I thought the rego paper shows the name of the seller? I can see for my car it shows my details, address etc. 

Edited by silviaz

On 9/25/2022 at 2:20 PM, silviaz said:

I just noticed I have multi rego papers, does it matter which one the seller gives or has to be the latest one?

Rego papers aren't proof of ownership. Pretty sure it says it on them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silviaz said:

Ah ok, so they stole the original paperwork that was with the car. I thought the rego paper shows the name of the seller? I can see for my car it shows my details, address etc. 

No, the only thing stolen was the car. 

There are many different ways to have a car transferred into your name WITHOUT using the rego papers your talking about. Obviously I'm not going to mention how it is done, I don't need this to be some Fraud 101 guide. 

What I am saying is, everything can look on paper to be perfect, but really it isn't. Trust your instincts and use common sense. 

• Like 1