SAU Community

Building a rb25det to 300-350rwkw

Hello everyone, 

I currently have a 1995 r33 GTST that me and my father have restored over the past couple of years. We’ve gotten to the point where we are ready to make some good power out of our rb25det. The engine has around 130,000km. 

Our aim is to make around the 300 - 350rwkw mark. I’d love to advice on what’s actually needed to make it to that figure, and what good parts we should run. 

Thanks!!

There is a big difference between the work required for 250 and 400 kw (so, 300-350 kind of falls between those levels).

At 250 you just need a bigger turbo in the standard location, injectors to suit (probably safe to change fuel pump too), ECU with tune, bigger air flow meter, intercooler and exhaust. Likely price $5-10k

At 400kw you really need to change everything including forged internals, cams, radiator, exhaust manifold, potentially inlet manifold too. Probably MAP sensor conversion. Likely price $10-20k. Lots of people (but not everyone) break gearboxes at this level which is a whole other $10-20k rabbit hole.

So, for most people, budget is the best place to start, not a power target. If you have the open budget and want to shoot for 300-350, pick a turbo that hits that range, exhaust manifold to suit, any ECU that your tuner is comfortable with, intercooler and piping, dump/front/catback exhaust, injectors (bigger than you need), MAP sensor, apply $20k and see how you go. Once you have all that in place, higher power levels are just a turbo swap and tune away.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

My advice is to spend some time searching around these forums. There is a dyno thread with mods listed.

^^^ lots of this and have a set budget as that will dictate what you can actually achieve

This would be the base stuff to start with

Hypergear highflow
Link plugin ecu
IDx1050
TI Automotive/Bosch 460L pump
plasmaman intercooler kit

Are you talking about engine only or all the parts required to make 350kw?

If you're talking engine only, my unopened engine makes that power easily on e85. So "required" parts, technically none? lol

But yeah if you want a list of everything required to make that power, as the others have said, best to do a search as there are a million ways to achieve that power level.

tbh...it is smart to 'build/mod' an RB with a long term future goal in mind.  So buy the parts and do the mods that will achieve that goal as you go...this may take 2 to 5 years, depending on cash flow etc

I guess I'm trying to say that if you have to drive around with a built motor and a standard turbo for a few months till you can afford the next step, then thats what you do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

tbh...it is smart to 'build/mod' an RB with a long term future goal in mind.  So buy the parts and do the mods that will achieve that goal as you go...this may take 2 to 5 years, depending on cash flow etc

I guess I'm trying to say that if you have to drive around with a built motor and a standard turbo for a few months till you can afford the next step, then thats what you do.

Yep, I agree with this. It's probably worth stating it as my previous post makes it seem like I believe the opposite. 

So with my first motor, 100% stock, I got about 5 years out of it with street and track duties. I knew it wouldn't hold together forever with track use. 

The plan always was, when the motor gives up, I'll quickly drop in another stock motor and rebuild the first one. Hopefully I'll have another 5 years now to finish my build lol. When that motor gives up I'll have a built motor ready to go. 

The cycle will repeat again, built motor in, I'll start building the 2nd stock motor up and have a spare built motor ready to go.