SAU Community

Rb26 setup - power and injectors size

Before i buy injectors and fuel pump etc and leave the car for tuning, which size of injectors would you go for? 

I think i want to run as low power as i can with the GT28-5 turbos. But would be nice to have some room for more maybe. 
I have OEM injectors refurbished and cleaned but they wont probably be enough as someone mentioned here before?

Fuelpump about 255l/h - 340l/h?

something else you would change before tuning the car?

Setup:

Rb26dett with

-twin GT28-5 turbo

-JE-pistons 8.2:1

-Eagle H-Beam rods

-ACL race main and rod bearings

-Oil pump collar installed

-Older verision of LINK G4 ECU

19 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Why are you choosing to go with such low compression?

I actually dont know. These was ordered from Realstreetperformance, and i belive i had these recommended by them but i could be wrong. Could be the the guy building the engine that told me to get these ones as well. 

On 11/01/2023 at 9:04 PM, GTSBoy said:

Just go straight for 1000cc Bosch ID14s from somewhere reputable. A ~340L/h TI pump would be fine. Wired properly, of course.

Okey, thank you. How lower power could i run with the 1000cc:s do you think? How much power can the engine handle? I do not want to push anything. :)

I will re-wire the fuelpump! Thanks for the reminder. 

4 hours ago, reallyspeedly said:

How lower power could i run with the 1000cc:s do you think?

Stock. If it will idle on an injector (and of course, with a decent computer, the engine will idle on 1000s) then it can run ANY power level above that (up to the limit of the injector capacity, of course).

4 hours ago, reallyspeedly said:

How much power can the engine handle? I do not want to push anything.

Most of your list of engine mods would contribute to being able to run up to the limit of what the turbos can provide - except for one thing. I would not attempt to do so without a significant oil pump upgrade, and then paying attention to the engine breathing and oil draining situation - as per the oil control thread (or the last 100-150 pages of it anyway).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reallyspeedly said:

I actually dont know. These was ordered from Realstreetperformance, and i belive i had these recommended by them but i could be wrong. Could be the the guy building the engine that told me to get these ones as well. 

Send them back and get a higher cr.

5 hours ago, reallyspeedly said:

Thank you for the reminder about the ballast delete. 

AIT? Do you mean intake air temperature sensor? 

Well, i guess the tuner can tune the TPS 😬

Yes for the air inlet temp and not what I meant for the tune. See here. Some tunas talk a good game but individual throttle body tunes are beyond them. Where abouts in the world are you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I would prefer being able to stop for fuel anywhere I like rather than the fuel stations with E85 being 15-20km apart.

Hence full flex allows just that, depending on fuel choice your power will vary.

When you feel like a 20 year old fuccboiiii and want to race people on the street or actually go to a race track then fill it up with E85 then top up the tank with 98RON for your commute with whatever ethanol is left.

19 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Hence full flex allows just that, depending on fuel choice your power will vary.

When you feel like a 20 year old fuccboiiii and want to race people on the street or actually go to a race track then fill it up with E85 then top up the tank with 98RON for your commute with whatever ethanol is left.

Exactly what I do having the cars on flex, and I live somewhere where E85 has to be drummed up.

3 hours ago, djr81 said:

Yes for the air inlet temp and not what I meant for the tune. See here. Some tunas talk a good game but individual throttle body tunes are beyond them.

True that so many tuners want to try to tune individual throttle RB26s with MAP because they don't understand TPS fuel load and then get poor results.

One of the many reasons I went to Simon at Morpowa as one of the few who I had confidence in to do it on fuel TPS load with the Haltech.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, reallyspeedly said:

Is there any good reason for this? It's too late to send them back, the engine is built awhile ago already.

Well if the motor is built then it's built. 

There are many good reasons for higher compression ratio though, more power at all rpm, increased turbo spool, better off boost performance, more low end torque.... I could keep thinking of ways to say "the engine will perform better, everywhere" but you get the idea. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Well if the motor is built then it's built. 

There are many good reasons for higher compression ratio though, more power at all rpm, increased turbo spool, better off boost performance, more low end torque.... I could keep thinking of ways to say "the engine will perform better, everywhere" but you get the idea. 

Yeah, i was sitting here and realise that. Well this car got really shitty.. wrong turbo setup, wrong pistons, ecu, etc etc..

i guess i have to ask the engine builder about this, cause for some reason he installed them and this guy is really good with what he's doing. 

Edited by reallyspeedly

Turbos are fine, just a bit old school as the hipsters have diluted their gtr purity and gone for singles. They are still good units, however and the blokes with ponytails and beige Volvo dailies can get stuffed.

‘The ecu is a good ecu. You just need a good tuna to tune it. My point wasn’t to put down the setup just to highlight you need someone familiar with rb’s and their idiosyncrasies.

.3:1 isn’t earth shattering on the cr. Certainly nothing E85 won’t compensate for in spades if you go that way.

So yeah don’t get negative about it. It will work fine and be loads of fun. FWIW I’ve got -5 turbos and a Link ecu.

• Like 1