SAU Community

Hi-stop Light not working

doggido

Mine stopped working about 6 months ago, I took it out, took it apart and found a bad solder joint.  I re-soldered that and a few other higher stress joints and put it back it, it has been working fine since.

Can't guarantee yours has the same fault though.

• Like 1

:)  that is the fun part.. you can unplug the lamp from underneath the parcel shelf (access from the boot).  However, you need to remove the rear seat, so you can remove the parcel shelf, the lamp is attached to the bottom of the parcel shelf.

Maybe try having someone hold their foot on the brake pedal and ensure the normal side brake lights are on, then, push and flex the cable to the lamp (from the boot side) and see if the light turns on and off.  If it does, a bad solder joint is probably the issue and you will need to remove it to repair it.

Take it apart and have a look, you can remove most of the casing, then check for bad solder joints or failed components as GTSBoy suggested!

Tried to take it apart as far as I could and found nothing that seemed out of place.

$450NZD for a new one, I offered to sell a kidney but nobody wanted it!

I think i'll just get a aftermarket one and try to make it look like its made for the car.

2 hours ago, doggido said:

Checked out the above website and it looks promising so I will give it a go over the weekend.

So then, it leaves me one question, where does the red come from?

I dont have a direct answer, however, many years ago when I first got my 350GT Coupe, I replaced the front orange indicators with clear lenses. It failed the pink slip, but my mechanics didn't skip a beat, and put in orange caps inside the clear lensed indicators, and passed it without question. I guess what I am saying is, just try asking your regular mechanic. My guys didn't even check with me before doing it, they just told me when I went to pick it up.

If you want a selfie, maybe go to wreckers and find a broken red plastic taillight, and cut it to fit & cover the globes; or even a smaller upper taillight from a different car. Maybe even heat it a little to conform to a shape. Just spit-balling

Yeah, well, what's worse is that the DIY link above used RGB LEDs driven to make white. They could have made red. Maybe not as bright, but then winding up the brightness by going white and then filtering down to red with the red plastic diffuser is probably going to have the same effect.

As I was doing the rounds of the local wreckers, I found one that had a V35 in the yard which they haven't stripped yet. I grabbed the brake light out of it and got them to test which all LEDs worked. I ended up getting it for $60NZD. As long as I can at least a couple of years out of it I'll be happy.

• Like 3