SAU Community

Nsw chat thread

r32-25t

24 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

There’s still a lot of work to go into that job, it won’t look anything like that when it’s finished 

But it shouldn't look like that now

Precedence should have seen the pole moved before the road was laid down when they decided to realign the road, it should have been moved before working the subgrade at the lesst, not after a base has gone down

Problems will occur after the pole is moved

I've built plenty of sealed and unsealed roads with my job, that there is poor engineering practices, there is no way that would cut the mustard where I work

I've seen plenty of roads that have needed upgraded drainage where they have dug trenches across existing roads to install culverts, within a few years, or something even months, the excavations will eventually consolidate causing low spots in the road surface, especially if they only use a whacker packer for compaction

That pole probably goes down 2 meters, that's a big excavation to remove it, or, like I've seen local councils do, dig down 500mm and cut the pole off, which works until the stump eventually rots and the ground above subsidies, leaving a depression which will eventually fail

We do alot of quality assurance IRT compaction density for our civil construction tasks, hell, one of my jobs is instructing on a course that deals alot with quality assurance, from Geo-technical site investigations for planning, using moisture mensity gauges or old school sand replacement tests, as well as best practice for all of our plant operators 

Looking at that pic makes my head hurt

Subsidence under a road is a bitch. 

Just look on rural highways, and along the shoulder randomly therell be subsidence holes, just small bumps. That's just from a core sample being taking as part of the construction, and that's what, a 3inch diameter hole at maximum?

But for removal of said post Mark, I'd recommend one of the big drill augers to drill a big ass hole straight down through it, and keep performing slow but continued filling and compaction. At least then it's not a huge hole having been dug, just one the diameter of a touch bigger than the post.

On 19/06/2023 at 6:23 PM, Duncan said:

I just wanted to share this effort from Goulburn Mulwaree council

image.jpeg

Full marks for resealing the road. Not so much for attention to detail.

ah nice, to re-fill the holes left from moving the poles will cost you +50% council fees from next quarter onwards.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:19 PM, Duncan said:

Ha! That thread has been up since you last logged on.

I have a bunch of other stuff to move, wait until the internet finds out I have a working Epson EJ1 I don't need.

So, I saw you uploaded a video to YouTube demo'ing the Epson EJ-1, I'm curious about it, what communication protocol does it use to the car to get the data for the display?

I feel that you need to get that display up and running in the GTR :P

Yeah I'm selling that shortly (once I get it boxed for postage). I've had it in the stagea for about 15 years but since I recently moved to Android/Realdash form the Link via CAN it is not needed any more

I think it is pretty impressive considering mid 90s electronics. It taps into ecu wires for RPM, speed, injector duty etc then displays values based on DIP switches. I had it set up for RB but it covers about 20 models from the era.

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

Yeah I'm selling that shortly (once I get it boxed for postage). I've had it in the stagea for about 15 years but since I recently moved to Android/Realdash form the Link via CAN it is not needed any more

I think it is pretty impressive considering mid 90s electronics. It taps into ecu wires for RPM, speed, injector duty etc then displays values based on DIP switches. I had it set up for RB but it covers about 20 models from the era.

A small can receiver with an Arduino, and a few lines of code and we could have hooked it up to the Link instead :P

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 9:03 AM, r32-25t said:

Yeah they built a lot of cars that looked like they were designed with a ruler lol 

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

😄

8 hours ago, Liz said:

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

😄

No definitely not, they built some pretty awesome looking cars with that ruler 😍

14 hours ago, r32-25t said:

No definitely not, they built some pretty awesome looking cars with that ruler 😍

How was your trip?

10 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Was great, we are going back at the beginning of may. 

what have you been doing lately?

Wow! Loved it then. It’s my all time favourite destination. I think it gets cooler every time you go. 

Not much news my end! Same old! Biggest thing is that I’m trying to get a business off the ground. It’s a tad stressful but it’s now or never!

What about you? It’s been agessss!

8 minutes ago, Liz said:

Wow! Loved it then. It’s my all time favourite destination. I think it gets cooler every time you go. 

Not much news my end! Same old! Biggest thing is that I’m trying to get a business off the ground. It’s a tad stressful but it’s now or never!

What about you? It’s been agessss!

Definitely loved it, we spent a week in Tokyo this time and still think we could spend another 2 week there just seeing thing we missed.

business sounds fun, what type of industry is it in? 

I’ve basically just been working and building that same stupid car that every time I get close to finishing it I change something and send myself 10 steps backwards lol. Have you still got the dr30?

1 minute ago, r32-25t said:

Definitely loved it, we spent a week in Tokyo this time and still think we could spend another 2 week there just seeing thing we missed.

business sounds fun, what type of industry is it in? 

I’ve basically just been working and building that same stupid car that every time I get close to finishing it I change something and send myself 10 steps backwards lol. Have you still got the dr30?

Business is a retail advisory business specifically property. So helping retailers come up with a network strategy and then deliver, ie negotiate on their behalf to acquire the right locations at the right cost. I used to do this working for the actual retailer, but now I’m out on my own. 

Lol re car build! Thing is, when you finish a build you need to start again anyway…so I think it’s better to change the goal as you go…happy for you to steal my excuse

yeah I got the dr still, I’m trying to sell it now. I’ve advertised it for $35k

8 hours ago, Liz said:

Business is a retail advisory business specifically property. So helping retailers come up with a network strategy and then deliver, ie negotiate on their behalf to acquire the right locations at the right cost. I used to do this working for the actual retailer, but now I’m out on my own. 

Lol re car build! Thing is, when you finish a build you need to start again anyway…so I think it’s better to change the goal as you go…happy for you to steal my excuse

yeah I got the dr still, I’m trying to sell it now. I’ve advertised it for $35k

I’m going to have to because I ripped it heap of stuff of the other day and am talking to a fabricator to change a bunch of things 

I thought in todays market your car would fetch more then that, if not it would Al pay be worth sending it back to Japan and selling it to a collector over there