SAU Community

Oil cooler, is it really required for my 34GTT

43 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

For the mechanically challenged: How can one tell whether there still is a water/oil heat exchanger on the car or not? Asking for a friend ;)

What does it look like and where does it live on an rb25?

image.thumb.jpeg.6daab49b68417611f47d0800ec353c22.jpeg

Look for this round thing stuck to your oil filter housing with two coolant hoses coming off of it. Basically every modern remotely high performance engine uses one to help regulate oil temps

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Mine did that too. I replaced it with a non-cracked oem fan. Works well.

Yeah but at the same price the gktech is apparently 15% bigger in diameter and advertised to pull out 40% more air on rbs so went with that,

1 minute ago, YD34GTT said:

Yeah but at the same price the gktech is apparently 15% bigger in diameter and advertised to pull out 40% more air on rbs so went with that,

Well, if you've already got it then see how it goes for your use case. We can all pretty much confirm it's not as good as the stock fan, all we can hope now is that it is good enough for how you will personally use the car. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Also why not G35-900?

Get a good thermostat, and don't skimp on the cooler. Get either Setrab or Earls or Mocal or PWR etc. Avoid the eBay looking one with great marketing and big branding. You know which one.

Excuse the mechanical ignorance but regarding the thermostat are you saying replace the oem one for a better one? 

Do.you have any recommendations? 

5 minutes ago, YD34GTT said:

Excuse the mechanical ignorance but regarding the thermostat are you saying replace the oem one for a better one? 

Do.you have any recommendations? 

He was talking about the thermostat in the oil cooler circuit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

He was talking about the thermostat in the oil cooler circuit.

OK sweet 

I think I'm going to go for this one here with PWR oil cooler, taarks oil block and greddy oil filter relocation with built in thermostat

https://www.jdmgarage.com.au/shop/engine/cooling/oil-coolers/rb-oil-cooler-and-relocation-kit-v3-rb20-rb25-rb26-greddy-pwr-taarks/

1 hour ago, YD34GTT said:

OK sweet 

I think I'm going to go for this one here with PWR oil cooler, taarks oil block and greddy oil filter relocation with built in thermostat

https://www.jdmgarage.com.au/shop/engine/cooling/oil-coolers/rb-oil-cooler-and-relocation-kit-v3-rb20-rb25-rb26-greddy-pwr-taarks/

Why do you want to get rid of your oil warmer/cooler in a street car?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Why do you want to get rid of your oil warmer/cooler in a street car?

Well after the comments in the thread i did mention that I'll be looking to track the car maybe couple times a year, so everyone is recommending an oil cooler hahaha now your comment got me confused 😅

2 hours ago, YD34GTT said:

Well after the comments in the thread i did mention that I'll be looking to track the car maybe couple times a year, so everyone is recommending an oil cooler hahaha now your comment got me confused 😅

Oh my bad. What I mean is, you can have an oil cooler and keep the factory oil cooler/warmer. 

The factory oil cooler/warmer will help bring your oil temps up after a cold start.

The Taarks oil block deletes the factory cooler/warmer.

1 hour ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Ahhhh ok so getting an oil cooler without the taarks oil block and getting these sandwich plate attachments is what you're suggesting ?

1 hour ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Ahaaa ok just did some reading some essentially the sandwich plate goes between the block and and the filter and it by passes the oil cooler system unless it's really needed, so essentially leaving the factory warmer cooler until it's needed 

Am I correct in saying that?

Still learning a lot about my build so excuse the ignorance. That's why I love these forums haha

Another way to do it, is to use the Greedy relocation blocks, then make up your own lines and mount your oil cooler where you want it.

Alternatively just buy their kit, although it comes with a small-ish oil cooler, which would be plenty for your usage anyhow.

images.thumb.jpeg.65b4932b4f233c2c9cc7d29f6175340e.jpeg

images(1).thumb.jpeg.b09b63a9871e5a51b5a31833abf200fe.jpeg

• Like 2