SAU Community

Best Brake Upgrade for Looks

Hi all,

I hope this isn't frowned upon, but I am looking at upgrading brakes on my S15 mainly for the looks. I will obviously take whatever performance gains come with the upgrade as a bonus.

What I think looks good is large diameter rotors (around 350mm front and at least 330mm rear) and large calipers.

What do people think are the best option out there value for money wise?

Options I'm currently considering:

• Attkd from Just Jap - Will cost about $5700 for everything
  • Evo Brembo's - Will cost maybe around $4500 depending on the caliper cost and condition

Others options are Akebono's with the kit from Concept Z Performance in the USA or CTS-V calipers (don't know much about this option and not sure if there is a kit for the rears).

14 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Full brake delete. You'll get many more admiring looks from doing that than any other upgrade.

Hi. Thanks for the helpful comment! Not sure if I should bother...... but:

1. I'm doing it because I like the look, not to impress anyone else.
  2. Wouldn't a brake delete be the opposite of what I'm after? Maybe try harder?

23 minutes ago, waggat said:

Hi all,

I hope this isn't frowned upon, but I am looking at upgrading brakes on my S15 mainly for the looks. I will obviously take whatever performance gains come with the upgrade as a bonus.

What I think looks good is large diameter rotors (around 350mm front and at least 330mm rear) and large calipers.

What do people think are the best option out there value for money wise?

Options I'm currently considering:

• Attkd from Just Jap - Will cost about $5700 for everything
  • Evo Brembo's - Will cost maybe around $4500 depending on the caliper cost and condition

Others options are Akebono's with the kit from Concept Z Performance in the USA or CTS-V calipers (don't know much about this option and not sure if there is a kit for the rears).

Yeah I don't recommend doing this unless you need more thermal capacity. If your heart is set on doing this anyways I don't recommend random unknown brands for this stuff. Akebono or Brembo is fine though. Alpha Omega racing seems to like the Falcon FPV Brembos or Evo Brembos as you already mentioned. The fact that they're thinking about issues like pad knockback, suspension knuckle rigidity, brake bias, dust shield/piston dust boot retention, etc... is a good sign IMO.

I understand that by looks you just mean larger and new looking, so just grab whatever you can find cheapest in 350mm, any half credible brand will be adequate stopping wise. If you go the evo brembos you probably have to consider the cost of having them stripped, powder coated, rebuilt, re-stickered.

Personally I'd stay away from any home made kits as you won't know the quality of the caliper adapters which could be dangerous

• Thanks 1

R35 GTR brakes with carbon ceramic rotors look the best for sure. 

https://www.alphaomegaracing.com/product/r35-gt-r-brembo-adapters/

https://www.amsperformance.com/product/alpha-performance-r35-gt-r-carbon-ceramic-brake-package/

Some say you can't put a price on looks. Others say that you can and it's about $35,000. But think of the value because really, the looks are priceless. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

R35 GTR brakes with carbon ceramic rotors look the best for sure. 

https://www.alphaomegaracing.com/product/r35-gt-r-brembo-adapters/

https://www.amsperformance.com/product/alpha-performance-r35-gt-r-carbon-ceramic-brake-package/

Some say you can't put a price on looks. Others say that you can and it's about $35,000. But think of the value because really, the looks are priceless. 

Saw someone on FB Marketplace post full kits for ~10k. Not sure if I consider that the best value for money compared to the Attkd kits for $5700.

2 minutes ago, waggat said:

Saw someone on FB Marketplace post full kits for ~10k. Not sure if I consider that the best value for money compared to the Attkd kits for $5700.

Sounds like they were just selling their R35 brakes. The big bucks are in the carbon ceramic rotors, those are about $20,000.

When you're going for max looks, gotta have those carbon ceramic brakes. I don't see Attkd selling a carbon ceramic option, so do you really have any other choice then the R35 kit at this point?

1 minute ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Sounds like they were just selling their R35 brakes. The big bucks are in the carbon ceramic rotors, those are about $20,000.

When you're going for max looks, gotta have those carbon ceramic brakes. I don't see Attkd selling a carbon ceramic option, so do you really have any other choice then the R35 kit at this point?

Meh.... Another comedian!!

• Like 2

Best value...........

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165900019651?hash=item26a06967c3:g:6qEAAOSwSOdjqVhv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8C%2BdCsusVox3XxUhK3ZiFvts0Iy55uejoqdGDtbN3KFBlyCJ0Iw4j7sYBjppoq5%2B75RTWHeDLJoGT76cJNyYGgmiwFrHXMJ4M%2Fn4vkA8VO90YnBfBql2IhQnc5wmbNXQrnwFpLm6FLuSsbFC6BnXaSa%2FwVbXEB8hmMs9jk52ycwVMNQ5L%2Fxlc1q0UhKZuAhTalsCpmXv9aCGYDc2UCgnZ8FalU9wP%2FC%2F5Ut4YNQGTxnxahXiQgDixf5U73w8pWGNLnx0t2UJWtrC%2BDJfR7KTivVsocucxrdOwioWSO%2FcHhtSDLqhm6eIPFLDF0Q5VcsccQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMvOePnY1i

I have a EVO brembo setup and its around $6k with quality rotors, pads and refurb. Will only fit behind certain 17s so recommend 18 inch wheel with big brake clearance faces.

Any brake setup will also require a BMC upgrade, possible new lines, may have ABS issues and a possible hand/park brake relocation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Best value...........

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165900019651?hash=item26a06967c3:g:6qEAAOSwSOdjqVhv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8C%2BdCsusVox3XxUhK3ZiFvts0Iy55uejoqdGDtbN3KFBlyCJ0Iw4j7sYBjppoq5%2B75RTWHeDLJoGT76cJNyYGgmiwFrHXMJ4M%2Fn4vkA8VO90YnBfBql2IhQnc5wmbNXQrnwFpLm6FLuSsbFC6BnXaSa%2FwVbXEB8hmMs9jk52ycwVMNQ5L%2Fxlc1q0UhKZuAhTalsCpmXv9aCGYDc2UCgnZ8FalU9wP%2FC%2F5Ut4YNQGTxnxahXiQgDixf5U73w8pWGNLnx0t2UJWtrC%2BDJfR7KTivVsocucxrdOwioWSO%2FcHhtSDLqhm6eIPFLDF0Q5VcsccQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMvOePnY1i

I have a EVO brembo setup and its around $6k with quality rotors, pads and refurb. Will only fit behind certain 17s so recommend 18 inch wheel with big brake clearance faces.

Any brake setup will also require a BMC upgrade, possible new lines, may have ABS issues and a possible hand/park brake relocation.

Hey mate, thanks for the response. Yeah I'm aware of most of those potential issues.

Is there any downside to running bigger brakes when done right? Or is it that people cut corners when it's just for looks and it compromises on a major safety component?

Genuine question as I'm not sure where the hate comes from. Big brakes certainly look amazing.

1 minute ago, soviet_merlin said:

Big brakes certainly look amazing.

This is true. And then you've spent $3k or $5k or $10k or $35k (if you've done it the best way) and you have something that looks good but doesn't actually do anything useful.

I'd rather spend $10k on the suspension. Black arms of course, because I give no f**ks for the looks.

18 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

This is true. And then you've spent $3k or $5k or $10k or $35k (if you've done it the best way) and you have something that looks good but doesn't actually do anything useful.

I'd rather spend $10k on the suspension. Black arms of course, because I give no f**ks for the looks.

I wonder what wheels you've got...... I assume steelies in your desired diameter, width and offset.... f**k looks hey!!!!

7 minutes ago, waggat said:

I wonder what wheels you've got...... I assume steelies in your desired diameter, width and offset.... f**k looks hey!!!!

No, of course not. Now you are really showing that you don't know what I'm on about. Steel wheels are heavier than the very light RPF1s that I have. Why do I have RPF1s? Because they are very light. Are they the best looking wheel? Hell no. Are they close to the optimum of light & affordable & not ugly. Yes. Yes they are.

Oh. And they are black.

Oh, and so are my calipers.

And the hats on the brakes.

Edited by GTSBoy

2 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

No, of course not. Now you are really showing that you don't know what I'm on about. Steel wheels are heavier than the very light RPF1s that I have. Why do I have RPF1s? Because they are very light. Are they the best looking wheel? Hell no. Are they close to the optimum of light & affordable & not ugly. Yes. Yes they are.

Ok. So you have your preferences. Why the f**k come into my thread and try and downplay my preferences? Does it hurt your ego that I don't give a f**k about your little performance requirements????

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

Is there any downside to running bigger brakes when done right? Or is it that people cut corners when it's just for looks and it compromises on a major safety component?

Genuine question as I'm not sure where the hate comes from. Big brakes certainly look amazing.

No difference in use with "street" pads (ie pads that work from cold). It can be a problem with things like rally use where you might start sub zero but do a 30 min stage flat out so you need to deal with a very wide range of brake temps.

Really the only issue with big brakes on the street is they are expensive to buy, might need larger wheels (also expensive) and discs and pads will be more expensive at replacement time too.

• Thanks 1