SAU Community

Sandown Track Day 24th October

Roy

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahahhahahahaha of course! otherwise the tracks top 10s would be filled with n00bs in 4WD GTRs..... oh wait.

cool bring it on!!! i mean... along.

:) i'll put one camera in roys... probably josies.

and use the other one for the sideline stuff... and for when i get in snowies n00bie machine :D

I mean anyone can drive a GTR fast. Roy tells me there's no skill at all in it anyways.

But then Roy also tells me Sandown is just a drag strip (with 12 corners in it!!?) and that there's no reason a GTR should be quicker around there - just like there's no reason for them to be quicker around the Island - so we'll just have to wait and see.

LOL, actually if we hadn’t been drinking that night you may have better understood me, and I may have been better able to explain myslef:)

I genuinely believe a GTR is harder to drive quickly then a GTST. HARDER! Not easier! So I don’t know why you think I said that or you are revving me up:)

Reason being that generically they have higher levels of grip, in a RWD GTST you can easily feel when they are on the limit, and YOU HAVE to balance your enthusiasm.

In a GTR they start to get a wiggle on but the ATTESSA means you have another level of grip that you have to have the courage to keep punting even when it starts to dance around. Not many ppl are keen on going to that next level when starting to go sideways at 180km/h in their road car.

And I don’t believe my car is the equal of all those GTRs out there. So don’t go reading into too much of what im saying. Each car is different, and to say that is stupid, it has kept plenty of supposedly quicker cars honest, but any car with the right mods is going to be quick? I can guarantee you I know of a 120Y that will get into the low 1:20s based on the times it does at Easter Creek. That said a relatively std GTR is also very quick, but so are many other $35,000 cars at the track

But Snowman is right in saying that I think Sandown is a bit of a drag strip and provided you have reasonable power down then a RWD car can do well.

My thoughts is that the track is predominantly 90deg turns…so your corner exit speed is mega critical when you have 3 straights where you can carry good speed. Sure the corner entry, mid corner speeds are still important, but as long as you get onto the straights then some of the battle is won

As for Phillip Island, i think the GTR would have an inherent advantage there due to their more balanced chassis and those long sweeping bends.

LOL.Snowman… You have driven there, I haven’t. So what do you think is a respectable time for the GTST guys? You seem to think a sub 1:30 is out of the question, so 1:32????

I don’t want to get there and come away demoralised with my time. Hell I thought id be doing well to get near 2:00 at PI and that proved to be a rather easier then I first though. My time was only based on a GTP S2000 doing 1:28s at Sandown

Come one come all, Roy is going to have egg on his face at Sandown, you don’t want to miss that!:):):D

hahahahahaha........ Roy you are always changing your mind and trying to get out of what you actually said (abiet most often in a drunken state).

Fristly - lets talk about the GTR. Your words when you first enounted RB20 problems and you talked about putting an RB26 in it. I said you should get a GTR and your response was "I don't want a GTR cause there's no skill involved in driving one fast - even though I've never tried to drive one fast before".

Now Sandown - this big joke all started from you coming straight out and saying you think a 1.25 should be easy based upon the GTP cars. My answer has been and will still be until proven wrong that Sandown is an odd track where dropping time off your best is a lot harder than at tracks such as Winton or Phillip Island.

My response was always "I think 1.30 - 1.28 would be quite gettable but at this track its a huge effort to drop from there to 1.25's"

Suddenly you are talking up the 1.35's LOL. That was never what I said you big goose. All I have said was that I think due to the design of this track its quite straight forward and you can get to a good time quickly - but talking seconds off that time its really really hard here.

But again that might have been my inital observations because I have only been there when I was first learning. One way or another its going to be fun finding out whose right! haha

:)

Have you see the movie Very Bad Things? "Goosed!":)

And that thing about buying a GTR, they werent my exact words, but close. I dont want a GTR mainly because i cant afford to track a GTR. I did say they werent as challenging / entertaining to drive. Challenging and harder to drive quickly arent the same thing. Challenging is keeping the thing in a straight line under acceleration learning throttle control... then there is doing it quickly.:(

Hey you!...what you lookin at em for?...i dont even know where ive been and ive just been there....going on GTP lap times i still think 1:25s are the go, but not easy.

I bet money on the fact that next time out you smash your previous Sandown time by seconds. You have more driving experience now at different tracks with different styles of corners.

And your best lap time is as good as an S2000 GTP car at Sandown, whereas at Phillip Island you are about 4-5 secoinds quicker.

LOL...Have you seen my car lately? It should be ready to go this Friday...im so pumped, a bash over to Adelaide will soon tell me if the engine is any good well ahead of the Sandown days.;)

My two cents by Scotsman (the ugly duckling)

AWD means jack on the track! I look down at my Torque Split guage all the time to see where I might be loosing tracktion and i'll tell you this. The thing never moves. So where am I gaining an advantage? Any advantage a GTR has around the track isn't in the front drive shaft. I find that my slow laps are the laps where I am using the front wheels to pull me out of corners and this is because i'm allowing my rears to break traction. The smooth laps are the quick ones.

I bet money on the fact that next time out you smash your previous Sandown time by seconds.  You have more driving experience now at different tracks with different styles of corners.  

I wouldn't follow this bet through mate.

Cause firstly - I don't have second gear and its kinda handy at this track.

And secondly - me and Emre have a side bet going on who can drive the slowest and I may be struggling to break the 2min barrier just to win the little contest I have with him. haha.

My two cents by Scotsman (the ugly duckling)

AWD means jack on the track!  I look down at my Torque Split guage all the time to see where I might be loosing tracktion and i'll tell you this.  The thing never moves.  So where am I gaining an advantage?  Any advantage a GTR has around the track isn't in the front drive shaft.  I find that my slow laps are the laps where I am using the front wheels to pull me out of corners and this is because i'm allowing my rears to break traction.  The smooth laps are the quick ones.

That sums up my thinking. Std they have good brakes, good power, good chassis rigidity and balance and good suspension with rather sporting shock and spring rates...even if some shocks are past their best:) It has more to do with these features then just the 4wd. But the V-specs also have the active diffs etc, so it all helps when trying to squeeze all the cornering speed you can from your ride.

Not many other cars can tick all those boxes, as cars like WRXs, 200SXs, GTSTs all need turbo upgrades to even get near the power a std turbo GTR can make.

The thing with breakign traction in the GTR it seems to allow you to keep on the loud pedal meaning that you arent loosing rpm, boost and corner speed for corner exits.

Dont know if its coincidence or not but Merli in Sydney had my dream R33, sold it a few weeks after going for a ride in an almost std R33 GTR driven by CRDs driver Andrej Pavicevic where the thing was blazing squeeling all tyres on the way to a time much quicker then i had seen from a GTR. So they do have another level if pushed hard

And Snowman, stick with 3rd gear in those corners...you will carry more corner speed and your poor engine wont have to endure anymore of those 9,000rp,m downchanges.:(

Edit..anyway, im in no way bashing GTRs or any other cars. I was poking fun at my goal lap time for Sandown, perhaps i should have kept it to myslef as its turning into a car debate. :boohoo: There is a certain T88 R32 with BBS rims that i would have absolutely no problems owning:)

I wouldn't follow this bet through mate.

Cause firstly - I don't have second gear and its kinda handy at this track.

And secondly - me and Emre have a side bet going on who can drive the slowest and I may be struggling to break the 2min barrier just to win the little contest I have with him. haha.

How do you manage to drive properly without having 2nd gear?! So when you take off in 1st, you immediately shift to 3rd when its time to shift??

And u still managed to own @ Philip Island, one would say "impressive"... ;)

Ok - firstly - 2nd gear itself is OK. Its (for want of a better term) the synchro thats buggered. So I can put it into 2nd gear - as long as the car is going under 60km/hr. Anything above that and forget it. So I can go first, then change to 2nd - as long as I dont put many rev's on it. And once in gear its perfect - its just getting it into gear that's the hard part.

However - if I launch the car like I did in the super sprint then yeah I have to go 1st - 3rd.

My time at Phillip Island isnt that impressive given no 2nd - as with the ratio's in the 6 speed there is only one corner I'd usually use 2nd in anyways. And even that corner - when I used 3rd I'm not totally off boost so it wasn't too bad at all.

Sandown is slightly different. The final corner I usually use 2nd but I can do it in 3rd and keep on boost, just, as well. This means I lose some top end speed on the main straight though. Dandenong corner however will be very very sucky to do in 3rd.

Meh - I'll just make do with what I've got and do my best! ;) And hope to god no other gears go! LOL